general questions about making your name

I am but a humble beginner–at least relatively–and though I have tried to look through the Bazaar forum, I cannot find this information. Forgive me if this is duplicative or overly simple-minded.

I’m working on making my name in two areas–Veilgarden (as a writer) and Wolfstack Docks (as a fighter). Can I succeed at both or does one only make one’s name once in one area?

Related to that, are there actually four opportunities to make ones name, and I have not yet uncovered the other two? (I’m thinking one to match each attribute?)

And related to that, for one like the writer do you just keep working at it? I don’t have a sense that I’m making progress or that there is a set goal. But perhaps I am missing something?

Any advices would be most welcome!

Humbly, Hebpzibah Gordon

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hepzibah~Gordon~

There are three at the moment. Spite is not live yet.
To make your name as a writer, write pages and then edit them to Quality 40. Then use the &quotPublish&quot action. This will advance you. Other stories you may write later should be submitted according to the quality to which you edit them. Higher quality, better return.
In Ladybones, talk to the Honey-Mazed detective to begin Making Your Name.
–Mal
edited by malthaussen on 11/1/2015
edited by malthaussen on 11/1/2015

You can success at both. They are not mutually exclusive.

There will, indeed, be one for each attribute. However at the moment only 3 are available. You are missing the Watchful one which you can start on Ladybones Road by looking for the Addled Detective.

In Veilgarden, it depends on what stage you are, of course. I think you are suggesting that you finished wooing the heiress/thief and are now writing short stories? If so, you need to write a specific short story that require 40 Potential and its name begins with Making the Name.

ETA: Huh. My browser glitched and I didn’t see that the question had already been answered!
edited by genesis on 11/1/2015

Many thanks, but as so often is the case, answers breed more questions. Two to follow up.

1. On writing: I have seduced everyone in sight. And I have been writing diligently. (I think it suits me.) I’ve even published a thrilling short story. And yet I still have not made my name. Perhaps there is a second qualification, or perhaps I chose publication at the wrong time? Perhaps I did not write a short story on the prompt to make one’s name? But that is where I started. Need I await a specific commission? It sounds like that might be the case?

2. On the Honey-Addled Detective. I did work with him for a time. I forget the details, sad to say. But now all I see there is &quotthe case of the other waxwork&quot which is not yet available. (I need &quotimpossible&quot to make it available.) Perhaps I missed my chance to make my name? Perhaps I made my name and forgot. (Now there is an embarrassment.) How would I know if I had made my name? While the other two questions (the writing and the fighting) are captioned &quotmaking your name&quot the detective is not.

Many thanks for the wisdom you have offered.

It’s the writing that’s holding you up. You not only have to start a short story on the prompt to make one’s name, you have to finish the story, publishing it, from the “Make Your Name: Publish your story” prompt inside the writer’s desk. If you end up with an actual item in your inventory after finishing a story, like the Thrilling Short Story – you’ve taken the wrong path and will have to start over in order to advance further in Making Your Name. (You can, however, sell that Thrilling Short Story for profit.)

On the plus side, the Make Your Name: Publish your story prompt only requires a short story with 40 potential, while the Thrilling Short Story requires 70, so it’ll be easier.

I would also like to suggest that you send some feedback about this to feedback@failbettergames.com as they’ve made some changes to try and clarify this process, but it’s still pretty confusing. Maybe all the other short-story publishing options (like the one that got you your Thrilling Short Story) shouldn’t be available until after you’ve done the 40-Potential story to Make Your Name with? Or whatever you think might help reduce the confusion. You’re about the fifth or sixth person who’s posted about this kind of mixup, so more suggestions would probably help.

[quote=shapjul]
2. On the Honey-Addled Detective. I did work with him for a time. I forget the details, sad to say. But now all I see there is &quotthe case of the other waxwork&quot which is not yet available. (I need &quotimpossible&quot to make it available.) Perhaps I missed my chance to make my name? Perhaps I made my name and forgot. (Now there is an embarrassment.) How would I know if I had made my name? While the other two questions (the writing and the fighting) are captioned &quotmaking your name&quot the detective is not. [/quote]

Go to the &quotMYSELF&quot tab. On the left you will see an expandable list called Qualities. Expand the Story category. Look for the quality titled: &quotA Name in Seven Secret Alphabets&quot. If you have it then you started making your name in Watchful. The next steps will be determined by what level you have in that quality. If you don’t (and have already finished the Addled Detective) then something has likely gone wrong and you may need to email support…

Oh such gratitude and thanks.

I do indeed have A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets–I’m up to 5. I guess this means I am waiting until I attain enough wisdom (or whatever) to continue. I take comfort and shall be patient.

And as for the writing, indeed the story is in my inventory (even on my mantelpiece). I shall go back and produce a lesser work in the required manner. And I’ll offer that feedback.

With gratitude,

H.

I think (and I am not 100% sure because Making the Name was implemented after I was already past that content) that at ANiSSA 5 you are looking to discover a way to the Forgotten Quarters and undertake an expedition to the Tomb of Seven there

Oh—I’m doing that. I’m on an expedition. I guess i had just forgotten (or didn’t know) that this was linked to the seven secret alphabets, but of cousre that makes sense. I feel some the mists of confusion thinning. Thanks so much.

Success. You were totally correct and I am grateful for your advice. I will also take your advice on providing some feedback. Thanks so very much.

Incidentally, while you are considering providing that feedback, mentioning that the Watchful tracker is not clearly marked (since I think you are right and Addled Detective story doesn’t indicate it begins the Watchful tracker) would likely also be useful

In re writing short stories: don’t stop after you’ve done the one for Making Your Name. The fees earned for a short story go up astronomically as quality rises. Well worth the actions spent, if your Persuasion is high enough to do good edits.

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]In re writing short stories: don’t stop after you’ve done the one for Making Your Name. The fees earned for a short story go up astronomically as quality rises. Well worth the actions spent, if your Persuasion is high enough to do good edits.

– Mal[/quote]

Did that change recently? Because, last I checked, those were really sub-par for the persuasive required.

Depends on what you mean by sub-par. For a non-POSI, it can result in a return of close to an echo an action, which is better than anything else going on in the early game.

– Mal

[quote=shapjul]

Success. You were totally correct and I am grateful for your advice. I will also take your advice on providing some feedback. Thanks so very much.[/quote]

I wrote and provided feedback. I’m not the only one to do so and they’re working on it. Just so you all know. And, fwiw, thrilling short stories are worth quite a bit to a novice like me, anyway.

[quote=malthaussen]Depends on what you mean by sub-par. For a non-POSI, it can result in a return of close to an echo an action, which is better than anything else going on in the early game.

– Mal[/quote]

(Subpar = worse than what you can get elsewhere with the same stats.)

If your stats are around 100, you won’t be going past 70 potential (and where are you getting the tales of terror/compromising documents for this? That will also figure into the total!), so at 100% successes you are spending some 41 actions (PLUS 2.5 echo worth of tier-3 items, which at this point is perhaps 3 or 4 actions on top of that) to get back 42 echo. That’s almost an echo/action, yes. (turns out it’s noticeably better than I remember; it might also be the sweet spot - lower stories require too many actions just to get any decent potential, and higher stories require too many expensive items)
It’s also when you should be doing that echo/action from level-appropriate actions anywhere.
If you have lower stats, you will have lower income from elsewhere, but also lower income from writing stories.

ETA: also, writing stories is a lot of fiddly clickery, compared to other things you can do to earn money.
edited by xKiv on 11/4/2015

You can crank out a potential 60 story without investing any items. Less income, but less actions, too, so 1E/Action is about what to expect. At Persuasive 70 (possibly less), the Hasty Edit is a 100% chance. Since with these kinds of stats, you’re not going to be travelling any farther than the second tier of areas, 1E/Action is a pretty good return. And a 40 potential story can be written before you even get out of the starting areas. Won’t return as much per action, but you’re not going to get much better than around 30d at anything else at that point.

– Mal