Gating things you can't finish.

Shouldn’t big, expensive things you can’t finish be gated before you get the option to dump hundreds of stats and large amounts of wealth into them?

Sacrificing for a secret ending is fine, but in game it directly leads players on to thinking this ending is available right up to the last point.

Are dev’s just taking for granted everyone uses the wiki to find out what’s available or not? This particular story arc is absurdly frustrating…

Which story arc are you actually referring to?

Hm, are you referring to exploring Frostfound? I think the game tells you that you shouldn’t enter without a good reason.

‘Hundreds of stats and large amounts of wealth’ and ‘a secret ending’ is probably Salt’s Song, which is impossible to lock yourself out of. Though it might appear that way if you’re at the threshold.

(You could also be doing a Kingdom, since the Parabox eats tons of stats, but that’s also not possible to get locked out of.)

Yes, your post would be much more useful if you explained to us what you’re stuck on. That said, if I’ve guessed your problem correctly:

try selling those items that the price might be. You can ditch them all at Irem – convert any Mountain-sherds to Captivating Treasures, then you can sell Surmises for Enigmas, Enigmas for Implications, Elements for Supplies, and Treasures for Fuel.

edited by Jeremy Avalon on 3/4/2016

[quote=Jeremy Avalon]‘Hundreds of stats and large amounts of wealth’ and ‘a secret ending’ is probably Salt’s Song, which is impossible to lock yourself out of. Though it might appear that way if you’re at the threshold.

(You could also be doing a Kingdom, since the Parabox eats tons of stats, but that’s also not possible to get locked out of.)

Yes, your post would be much more useful if you explained to us what you’re stuck on. That said, if I’ve guessed your problem correctly:

try selling those items that the price might be. You can ditch them all at Irem – convert any Mountain-sherds to Captivating Treasures, then you can sell Surmises for Enigmas, Enigmas for Implications, Elements for Supplies, and Treasures for Fuel.

edited by Jeremy Avalon on 3/4/2016[/quote]

Yes, it’s salts song. Every Irem option has the Impossible! lock on it, which I understood to mean unfinished content. Am I wrong about that? Getting the items is entirely do-able but the impossible lock is what made me think there is an issue:

As for Frostfound, the game gives you good reasons to explore it, both for the Impeller and as part of the Exiles story arc and the hint when your yearning-burning menace is high. I wouldn’t have gone back after the impeller if it wasn’t for those things, and after that it clearly tells you you opened the way to a secret ending before you do the real stat sink at Kingeaters.
edited by JGPS on 3/5/2016

It’s a hint, not a bug. Go East is completely achievable, and the solution to your current predicament is consistent with everything you’ve done to get to this point in the Ambition.

The spoiler box in my previous post spells out the answer, but if you want a hint instead:

The price is no price. Normally, prices can be paid with items, or Echoes, or information – but what would you pay no price with?

edited by Jeremy Avalon on 3/5/2016

Oh, it was a clue? I’m quite sure I’ve looked up the Impossible tag from ruining into it far earlier in development, I went to look at the Wiki and it confirms what I thought it meant:

http://sunlesssea.gamepedia.com/Impossible!

They really should use a different tag for this puzzle then, I’d rather have tried to solve it myself, but wan’t about to go 15 teir tower of Hanoi on something that I thought was telling me was locked.

Thank you for the reply though, that did solve it for me.

As a much more trivial thing this ending with ‘a past wreathed in shadows’ doesn’t unlock the steam achievement of the same name. It’s one of the two that potentially could, so I’m assuming Aestavel is the only way?

Do you all think this is working as intended or an oversight? If it’s an oversight I’ll send them an e-mail about it. Also getting 100 terror at Frost-found doesn’t unlock the related achievement, nor does it get unlocked if you don’t have the 90 one and jump from 89 or less to 100, as happened with my insane postmaster captain (got the ‘fathers bones’ quest at Nunico after that, that was a happy, thematic co-incidence). I guess still having that is a good reason to lose my mind at Kingeater for kicks.

I’m kind of surprised the various endings don’t give achievements.

I believe if you didn’t get ‘A Past Wreathed in Shadows’ for it, that’s a bug. I know several people have also reported the Terror achievements as bugged previously. Unfortunately I can’t fix those.

The various Ambitions do give achievements, after a fashion – each unique ending gives you a different Trophy quality that will show up in the Accomplishments of your subsequent captains.

[quote=Jeremy Avalon]I believe if you didn’t get ‘A Past Wreathed in Shadows’ for it, that’s a bug. I know several people have also reported the Terror achievements as bugged previously. Unfortunately I can’t fix those.

The various Ambitions do give achievements, after a fashion – each unique ending gives you a different Trophy quality that will show up in the Accomplishments of your subsequent captains.[/quote]

I submitted an E-mail about that then. Thank you.

I got A Path Wreathed in Shadows a couple weeks ago by sailing East so that’s certainly a bug. The Terror achievements are slightly bugged as well: in my experience at least, any option that sets terror over an achievement threshold doesn’t trigger it. You may have to actually gain the terror via natural gain at zee.

There are a few other instances of Impossible! being used to create branches serving as hints without being an actual option; the only one I recall at the moment is a use option in Fallen London for Correspondence Plaques saying to bring them to the University. Most such branches do have game notes explaining that the lock is intentional and the branch is a hint. The current setup of gaining Salt’s Song is definitely confusing and I’ve seen quite a few people asking after it on the forums, but I’m not sure what could be done without removing the air of mystery and crypticism.

Good to know, I’m going to try to get it with no past doing Aestivel next. Hopefully it works.

Just tried that, it didn’t work either.

Now it’s time to limp home with the crew too loyal or scared to mutiny me…

Feels good to be rid of those traitors that thought I was mad tbh. But now I’m too slow to shake the megalopes :(

[quote]
There are a few other instances of Impossible! being used to create branches serving as hints without being an actual option; the only one I recall at the moment is a use option in Fallen London for Correspondence Plaques saying to bring them to the University. Most such branches do have game notes explaining that the lock is intentional and the branch is a hint. The current setup of gaining Salt’s Song is definitely confusing and I’ve seen quite a few people asking after it on the forums, but I’m not sure what could be done without removing the air of mystery and crypticism.[/quote]

That would be enough. I’d be quite happy if it was more explicit that it was a hint. Even if it was only subtly explicit.

Or any other tag using a different word with the same meaning. Unthinkable would work as it’s never been used for content-in-development before.