Game Ideas

Here are a few ides i have had while playing Sunless Sea:

1. Upgrade ship qualities (for example upgrade hull strength by adding a thicker layer of steel which increases your lifepoints but reduces speed)

2. More personal crew: Sailors you hire have abilities or certain knowledge that helps you in some ways (for example knowing a weak spot of a sea monster which make sit easier to kill it) and when you lose that sailor you also lose his abilities or knowledge

3. Empty(?) ships drifting on the sea which you can explore to find supplies, fuel etc. or take over, or send home, or investigate it´s story

4. Finding new locations on the map and mapping them exactly is being rewarded by selling these new parts of the map to some kind of map maker (? I don´t know what to call him)

5. Dead sea monsters sink into the sea instead of just disappearing

6. More shops with more shopping options in other ports than just Fallen London

7. Manage/reduce crew fear/happiness by holding feasts (which cost certain supplies) or other events

8. Right now some enemies try to touch the back of your ship to attack you. I think they should be able to attack any point of the ship

9. When you fight an enemy vessel and win by destroying it you shouldn´t be able to send it home.
    If you only kill the crew, the damage on the ships hull and the number of sailors you decide the send back determines your chance of success.
    Options after winning by killing the crew:
    Send back for prize money
    Send back for scrap parts (repair your ship with those parts after you have picked them up in Fallen London)
    Scrap enemy ship for parts (repair your ship now but not nearly as much as with the other option)
    Investigate the hold

10. If you don`t have all the crew on board you get more storage space (by filling the crew quarters with stuff). And in turn you can take a few sailors more with you when your storage isn´t full.

Tell me what you think!!
edited by Benjamin Wiedekind on 8/9/2014

1. I like it - though it might be better accomplished with new ship slots and more equipment.

2. Has the potential for a great &quotghost ship&quot story, I definitely vouch for that :)

3. The admiralty has a monopoly on map buying info, but what I want is the ability to buy old charts (perhaps at a steep price) so I have a choice over merely winging whether I am heading in the right direction. It should be for heavily traveled places (like Polythreme), and not for unknown areas like Pigmote Island.

4. Well, when you decide to send the ship back home you forfeit looting the cargo hold - maybe you had to use everything there to patch up the ship? That’s my take. Makes no sense otherwise that I can’t both loot the ship and send it home.

5. Already works out to some extent - less sailors means less supplies needed so that means more space for cargo.

edited by Owen Wulf on 8/9/2014

3, or at least neutral vessels and wandering phenomena, are already on the list

8 would be a pathfinding bug which they should be working on with Iron.

I don’t think 10 actually makes much sense, you can’t really convert a hold into crew quarters that easily and vice versa (I’d suspect your crew just has bunks, not seperate cabins, for example, if they’re not officers.)

[quote=WormApotheote]3, or at least neutral vessels and wandering phenomena, are already on the list

I don’t think 10 actually makes much sense, you can’t really convert a hold into crew quarters that easily and vice versa (I’d suspect your crew just has bunks, not seperate cabins, for example, if they’re not officers.)[/quote]

Succeeding in the hearts check for gathering crew on the docks mentions that they bring their own hammocks, and hang them in whatever space is available. So it would be consistent. But there are other issues.

1. Allow the purchase of an Heirloom for Echoes (at a possibly exorbitant premium, obviously) without the need of a Captivating Treasure.

I’ve been having something of a Captivating Treasure drought in my current game; I’m echo rich and treasure poor you might say. I’d truly like to go challenge a Mt. Nomad to a duel and pass what’s left on to my dear heir, but it’s an unpleasant thought to let go so many echoes with so few heirlooms. It seems such a neathy waste.If not Purchased Heirlooms, perhaps it could be possible to create a trust, and permanently deposit echoes into it for future Captains.

[quote=bytyan][quote=WormApotheote]3, or at least neutral vessels and wandering phenomena, are already on the list

I don’t think 10 actually makes much sense, you can’t really convert a hold into crew quarters that easily and vice versa (I’d suspect your crew just has bunks, not seperate cabins, for example, if they’re not officers.)[/quote]

Succeeding in the hearts check for gathering crew on the docks mentions that they bring their own hammocks, and hang them in whatever space is available. So it would be consistent. But there are other issues.[/quote]

Well it’d make converting cargo space into more crew quarters make sense, although at that point you’re probably extremely packed already; converting crew quarters into cargo space doesn’t sound feasible since that’d imply there’s basically none, except possibly officer cabins.

Could I add my own request/suggestion? Seems a good idea to keep things in one thread. :)

I realise Merciful mode isn’t ‘real’ way we ought to play, but I’d really like a clearer way of labelling saves, either with a time/date stamp or the ability to use caps and spaces. Something like that anyway.

I’m having to peer at my save names a bit, and particularly on a smaller screen, it’s a bit cluttered and awkward.

I know I could probably label things in a clearer way myself but it would be nice to have that made easier for me. :)
edited by Tarantella de Pangolin on 8/16/2014