fuel : low ?

low on fuel, how get more ? march, 1888; thanks

if you’ve been collecting your port reports, you can bring them in to the Admiral and get free fuel, along with a couple of echos and admirality favors. Pigmote can also be a good place to get fuel, although you usually only get a couple.

if you’re at a place where you have to buy fuel, London, Brass Republic and Mt Palmerston are cheapest I believe.

I would say, it is a little bit unbalanced with fuel usage on heavier engines. I gather up echos through all the game to buy this roaring beast engine (3500power) and it burns fuel that it takes 3 units of fuel to get to nearest port from 2nd section of map.
To get to remote place I have to stack so much fuel that there is no place for regular stock.

Have you tried using the ship’s light less often? It uses up a great deal of fuel, and it’s not necessary to have it on all the time. If you keep an eye on your terror meter and only use your lights when necessary, you can greatly extend your ship’s range.

Yeah… it takes 70% of fuel tank to cross from dock in London to Badsteveners Abyss. I have just regular ship that can hold up to 40 cargo.

Yeah, the advanced engines use up a lot of fuel. Their main value is for the larger ships. The best immediate solution that I know of for the starting ship is to use WE ARE CLAY. It’s an upgrade that you can buy in Polythreme that can be attached to your auxiliary slot that will boost your engine power, allowing you to go faster for the same amount of fuel. If you get a ship with an aft slot, you can also buy the Milebreaker in Khan’s Shadow, which will increase your fuel efficiency.

Have you been pursuing any of the officer’s storylines? Two of them are quite long, but give very nice engines as a reward. And the Tireless Engineer officer will give you a slight fuel efficiency boost if you have him equipped.

[quote=PIOTROSLAV]I would say, it is a little bit unbalanced with fuel usage on heavier engines. I gather up echos through all the game to buy this roaring beast engine (3500power) and it burns fuel that it takes 3 units of fuel to get to nearest port from 2nd section of map.
To get to remote place I have to stack so much fuel that there is no place for regular stock.[/quote]

You know… even if the fuel is a little more expensive, it might be worth it buying fuel at slightly higher prices (15-20) while out at zee so you can still carry cargo with you. You can also plan your trips around places like the iron republic or Mt Palmerston- I think Khan’s shadow has fuel at 10 echoes (or at least cheaper than most other ports). Thus, you only take fuel for half the journey and plan to top off on the way back.

Like if you have to bring coffee to khan’s glory to curry favor- 20 sacks of dark drop doesn’t leave much room for fuel+supplies. So I’ll take just enough fuel to get there and swing by Khan’s shadow to refuel. Especially after dropping off the coffee, I can load up and explore even further out- perhaps just enough fuel to make a big loop out and up to Mt. Palmerston. Once there, you can get just enough fuel to complete the loop back west and south back to London. Remember, every port report you pick up is more fuel (and echoes) back in London. So what if I have to buy 5-10 more fuel at slightly higher prices if it helps you pick up 10 more reports (plus bonuses from SAY)? Don’t forget that outside of pigmote isle, you can get some fuel/supplies/terror reduction at Frostfang->talk with guys at dock. The Fathomking’s court can also give you fuel (or supplies). Either way, it’ll help keep you going even if you have to convert supplies into fuel.

You can do a similar thing with supplies. I can leave port with a full hold but only 2-3 supplies if I know I’ll swing by Mangrove college to pick up more. By the time I get there I’ll have burned through some fuel/supplies and will now have the room to take on these free units. Taking into account whats available to you along the route is a great way to extend your range. You don’t have to leave London with everything you need if you can forage some of hte supplies as you go.

Once I realized this, I was able to regularly make entire loops around the map. I actually had to juggle which port reports I’d turn in as I’d come back to gain 20+ fuel and risk wasting them! You get to explore so much more of hte map and actually see the stories, instead of constantly feeling chained to London by a short leash.

As someone else mentioned, learning how to toggle your light is another bonus. Typically if you are near land and light (from a buoy), you can leave it off and LOSE terror. If you are near land (even a rocky speck of an island) you can toggle your lamp on/off and keep your terror neutral. So off 10 seconds, on 10 seconds will leave you at 0 gained terror while saving half the fuel from just leaving it on for the full 20 seconds. Just watch your pips. After a while you’ll get the hang of it. That lamp -really- does slurp up fuel though. Come to a stop outside a port, but leave your light on. Watch all that precious fuel burn away… D: At the same time, you leave it off and intentionally let terror increase if you have good ways to reduce it coming up. Like if you have a child, you can lose 20? points of terror playing with them when you get back home. So if you return to port with less than 20 terror… you are letting that reduction go to waste. You could have left your lamp off longer and saved some fuel- think of it as trading one resource (fuel) for another (sanity).