Fruits of the Zee Festival- Untangling the rewards

So I’ve been gathering observations over the last 2 weeks trying to figure out how the rewards of the &quotThe Fruits of the Zee Festival!&quot storylet are structured. The branches promise that raising various stats improves the rewards but the precise relationship is unclear. Because the relationship is unclear, it’s also hard to evaluate how profitable the festival is (unique items excluding). It turned out to be a pretty difficult task and I haven’t even completed it, which is why I am posting this so late in the festival. Still there are a few days left and in any case, I am hoping that once others pitch in with their observations and the wiki is updated it might help the players next year (and might make data collection easier next year too).

Some of these I am very confident about, others are somewhat more speculative. The main assumptions that I’ve made are that all formulae are linear. I then collected the data on the minima and the maxima of the various rewards and then applied some very basic regression, common sense and game design intuition. The results presented as a range: either as a plain (Min – Max) or sometimes by moving the min out so you have (Min + (0 — Max-Min)). Wat/Dan/Per/Sha are the obvious obvious for the main attributes.

[spoiler]

[ul]
[li]Listen to the Drownies’ songs: [/li]

• Tale of Terror!!: 1 – Wat/50
  • Romantic Notion: 0 – Wat/10, Zee-Ztory: 1 (fixed amount)

[li]Dance with a Drownie[/li]

• Zee-Ztory: 1 – Per/50
  • Map Scrap: 5+(0–Per/10)

[li]‘Oi! You stepped on my invisible rat!’ [/li]

• Brass and Wax: 12+(0 – Per/4)(each), Silk Scrap: 12+(0 – Wat/4), Glim: 14+(0 – Wat/4)
  • Partial Map: 1 (fixed amount)

[li]Accompany a passing crowd of drunken revellers[/li]

• Manic Prayer: 3+(0–Dan*/20),Primordial Shriek: 10+(0–Dan/4)
  • Appalling Secret: 3+(0–Dan/15)

[li]Stoke an argument between … Chef and … Curate[/li]

• Soul: 15+(0 – Sha*/4), Primordial Shriek: 5+(0 – Dan/8)
  • Incendiary Gossip: 1 – Sha/50

[li]Drink with a Hooded Lady of Mysterious Provenance[/li]

• Inkling of Identity: 3 – Watchful/20, Cryptic Clue: 10+(0 – Dan/4)
  • Inkling of Identity: 3 – Watchful/20, Romantic Notion: 3+(0 – Dan/20)

[li]I didn’t really have enough data to analyse any of the branches pertaining to the Curate and the Chef, unfortunately. I did notice, though, that when you return the catches to reduce the menace, the rewards you get do not depend on the catch level but the menace reduction does depend on it. The range of menace reduction seems to be (StrangeCatch-1 – StrangeCatch)*5 CP[/li][/ul][/spoiler]
edited by genesis on 8/21/2017

My wife’s non POSI seems to receive at Strange catch five exactly 1/3rd less rewards than my end gamish character did when turning in to either curate or chef. Just for your records.[quote=genesis]So I’ve been gathering observations over the last 2 weeks trying to figure out how the rewards of the &quotThe Fruits of the Zee Festival!&quot storylet are structured. The branches promise that raising various stats improves the rewards but the precise relationship is unclear. Because the relationship is unclear, it’s also hard to evaluate how profitable the festival is (unique items excluding). It turned out to be a pretty difficult task and I haven’t even completed it, which is why I am posting this so late in the festival. Still there are a few days left and in any case, I am hoping that once others pitch in with their observations and the wiki is updated it might help the players next year (and might make data collection easier next year too).

Some of these I am very confident about, others are somewhat more speculative. The main assumptions that I’ve made are that all formulae are linear. I then collected the data on the minima and the maxima of the various rewards and then applied some very basic regression, common sense and game design intuition. The results presented as a range: either as a plain (Min – Max) or sometimes by moving the min out so you have (Min + (0 — Max-Min)). Wat/Dan/Per/Sha are the obvious obvious for the main attributes.

[spoiler]

• Listen to the Drownies’ songs:
    [ul]
  • Tale of Terror!!: 1 – Wat/50
  • Romantic Notion: 0 – Wat/9, Zee-Ztory: 1 (fixed amount)
    [/ul]
  • Dance with a Drownie
    [ul]
  • Zee-Ztory: 1 – Per/50
  • Map Scrap: 5+(0–Per/8)
    [/ul]
  • ‘Oi! You stepped on my invisible rat!’
    [ul]
  • Brass and Wax: 12+(0 – Per/4)(each), Silk Scrap: 12+(0 – Wat/4), Glim: 14+(0 – Wat/4)
  • Partial Map: 1 (fixed amount)
    [/ul]
  • Accompany a passing crowd of drunken revellers
    [ul]
  • Manic Prayer: 3+(0–Dan*2/33),Primordial Shriek: 10+(0–Dan/4)
  • Appalling Secret: 3+(0–Dan*2/30)
    [/ul]
  • Stoke an argument between … Chef and … Curate
    [ul]
  • Soul: 15+(0 – Sha*2/7), Primordial Shriek: 5+(0 – Dan/9)
  • Incendiary Gossip: 1 – (Sha+Dan)/100
    [/ul]
  • Drink with a Hooded Lady of Mysterious Provenance
    [ul]
  • Inkling of Identity: 3+(0–(Dan+Wat)*2/9), Cryptic Clue: 10+(0–Wat/5)
  • Inkling of Identity: 3+(0–(Dan+Wat)*2/9), Romantic Notion: 3+(0–Dan/20)
    [/ul]
  • I didn’t really have enough data to analyse any of the branches pertaining to the Curate and the Chef, unfortunately. I did notice, though, that when you return the catches to reduce the menace, the rewards you get do not depend on the catch level but the menace reduction does depend on it. The range of menace reduction seems to be (StrangeCatch-1 – StrangeCatch)*5 CP

[/spoiler][/quote]

Yep, exactly. That’s sort of what I was trying to get at. Most branches explicitly flag the fact that your stats affect the rewards. Menace curing branches don’t flag this but, nevertheless, appear to scale their rewards according to some sort of stat. The menace reduction bit, though, seems to depend on the level of the catch and not on the stats. So it’s quite a complex relationship.

Just bumping this in case people want to keep tracking the rewards this festival. I am unlikely to be actively maintaining the thread due to RL commitments and I am not sure how actively my main will participate in the festival anyway.

I did have some data leftover that I wasn’t confident of last year. I will verify it on an alt and will probably update it directly on the wikia.