From A Familiar Face to a Wretched Recidivist

In a bout of foolishness from searching for a ambitious secret, DavidJ landed himself in New Newgate for the fifth time. After assuaging his anger for luck checks, DavidJ now feels concern over whether or not his criminal record will be of any major hindrance to him as he begins the PoSI grind.

In short, does one’s criminal record come back to haunt them in any way, shape, or form outside of court? And is there any way to decrease it, say by stealing certain documents or burning down a record storage? Not that a decent member of society such as myself would consider such a heinous crime :)
edited by ExceptionallyDelicious on 6/13/2016

I don’t believe that your criminal record is relevant except for when you’re sentenced at Suspicion 8, but I also don’t believe there’s any way to reduce it.

Your criminal record doesn’t really have any effect beyond getting you the stiffer sentencing provisions and locking you out of using instant ablution solution. You cannot decrease it.

[quote=ExceptionallyDelicious]In a bout of foolishness from searching for a ambitious secret, DavidJ landed himself in New Newgate for the fifth time. After assuaging his anger for luck checks, DavidJ now feels concern over whether or not his criminal record will be of any major hindrance to him as he begins the PoSI grind.

In short, does one’s criminal record come back to haunt them in any way, shape, or form outside of court? And is there any way to decrease it, say by stealing certain documents or burning down a record storage? Not that a decent member of society such as myself would consider such a heinous crime :)[/quote]
The suspicion & scandal miracle cure, which is marginally better- (1.5 cp superior suspicion reduction, on average, though at a cost of 1.5 echoes… it also gives scandal healing at the same time, but assuming you don’t need help with both.)- than any other available, will lock you out of using it @ lv. 5, where you acquire wretched recidivist.
edited by Grenem on 6/13/2016

Unfortunate that there is no way to decrease it (yet?), but thank you nonetheless.

Higher levels also mean higher losses when imprisoned. For me I believe it’s currently a bunch of various connections, 10% of money and rostygold, and a point of Notability.

The connection hits (society and constables) are active at a familiar face (criminal record 1-4). The 10% off echoes and rostygold as well as the notability hit are added when you are a wretched recidivist (5+).
edited by Israfel on 6/13/2016

Oh, dear God. I simply cannot imagine how it would be worthwhile to get arrested FIVE TIMES. It seems like action waste to me.

But then again I am the guy who gets super worried when any of the menaces hits 4.

I’m pretty sure it’s a CP-based quality like any other, so it needs fifteen arrests to reach 5. A couple Ambitions do require purposefully getting arrested though; I think they all require at least one menace zone trip.

(Though in the case of prison, that can be done without a criminal record increase via failing to rob the Brass Embassy.)

Wow, fifteen arrests huh?

How much more cautiously do you watch your Suspicion when you realize a substantial amount of your Echoes, rostygold and a Notability point are at stake?

Not much more, honestly (though that’s in large part because my wealth is mostly in the form of liquidable items that aren’t touched). As a stat-capped character I rarely fail challenges so most of my menaces are from the occasional profitable-but-guaranteed-menace card. As a rough estimate about half the arrests are from my early play when I didn’t understand the long-term consequences, and the other half are from bad luck during heists causing Insta-Jail.
edited by Optimatum on 6/13/2016