Frame rate no longer affecting ship turning?

Either that, or my frigate just mystically acquired the ability to pull donuts in the middle of the ocean…

Very strange, not entirely sure I like it, it’s possible to speed slalom archipelagoes while on full overdrive, whereas previously you had to slow down to avoid crunching into things, a move that’s far more accurate for sailing and keeps the feel of the game like you’re actually sailing, rather than driving on the sea…

Yeah, I tossed this in as feedback with my last bug report too.

It’s zippier and I’m glad they fixed whatever actually framedropping was occurring on turning the ship, but now the ships are physicsless in game feel. Before they turned like actual ships.

Well, thing is, people with powerful machines could already do that. It’s good that they fixed it for everyone, now the rest of us can complain that the defaults are too high (or is it too low?)

Because I’m your standard Monday-Morning-Quarterback (dunno what the UK version of this is, football Club Manager on the day after a match, which I don’t know the standard day of the week actually is?) when it comes to game design, I’d say that what I expected was that turning would be the thing most affected by ship weight. In fact, with the frame dropping previously, I thought that this was how the game functioned. Now that it’s fixed, I’m wishing for the bug to come back, or for the system I thought was happening to actually happen.

So that turning would sort of have a lag time to it, where you could only turn at full speed when moving forward at full speed, and basically, rate of turning speed would be = to rate of forward speed. Since, theoretically this means that larger ships have a slower rate by which they gain speed compared to lighter ships, this would mean it would take longer before they could turn more nimbly.

That said, the acceleration effect on weight also needs to be made more extreme (IMO) because I don’t think it’s noticeable at all right now. It seems like it takes, maybe 2 seconds once you hit max power before you get up to full speed, and that’s just so subtle that it’s practically invisible. But that’s another issue from turning.

Yep, its now essentially impossible to die in combat unless you are kinda foolish. Against other ships you can just camp out behind them since even a cargo ship turns on a dime, and against monsters you can slap that puppy into reverse very quickly and fire your forward weapons until it is dead.

Note: Do not attempt in crappy starter ship without forward weapon.

Even the Eater of Names is a chump now. Supposedly it has a good aft weapon to hit you with but it only fired it once at me and I was just sitting behind it until it was dead.

[quote=Rocket Heeled Jack]Either that, or my frigate just mystically acquired the ability to pull donuts in the middle of the ocean…

Very strange, not entirely sure I like it, it’s possible to speed slalom archipelagoes while on full overdrive, whereas previously you had to slow down to avoid crunching into things, a move that’s far more accurate for sailing and keeps the feel of the game like you’re actually sailing, rather than driving on the sea…[/quote]

I was actually thrilled. One of the best ways to do battle with other ships is to &quotdogfight&quot by pulling in behind them, and with the newer, better turn radius makes this far more feasible. I’m pretty happy with it so far.

[li]

[quote=AgentTBC]Yep, its now essentially impossible to die in combat unless you are kinda foolish. Against other ships you can just camp out behind them since even a cargo ship turns on a dime, and against monsters you can slap that puppy into reverse very quickly and fire your forward weapons until it is dead.

Note: Do not attempt in crappy starter ship without forward weapon.[/quote]

That’s a good point, too. Maybe it is a little over-balanced, especially for experienced players.

[li]