FotZF: Strange Catch Explainer (read OP)

It can’t possibly be better than boxgrind in raw echoes.[/quote]

Boat: 11 actions to get catch 5; maybe 12 actions to get catch 6?
Then, say, 3 actions on average until you can trade catch for rewards (and wipe one of two the menaces that have been building)
yields (at upper bound of wiki-recorded range) 14 echoes worth of stuff
or 23 echoes worth of stuff and increased nightmares

Pretend that if you alternate the three rewards in a cycle you just manage your menaces. Then it’s (214+23)/(314)=1.214 epa

Significantly worse than boxgrind, and more unreliable, and more involved-clicky.

Thanks. Glad to know I’m not missing out. Incidentally, my first festival, I was pretty weak. Conversations here led me to do a bunch of stat grinding after the festival. I think it may have been Shadowy. I think you can grind Shadowy without any penalty there.

For anyone with time to spare who needs to lower quirks for the low catches: you can decrease Ruthless and Heartless for a Magnanimous increase and a Docks Favour at the end of the regular Mutton Island carousel (the non seasonal one) by saving Zailors.

[quote=xKiv]
Boat: 11 actions to get catch 5; maybe 12 actions to get catch 6?
Then, say, 3 actions on average until you can trade catch for rewards (and wipe one of two the menaces that have been building)
yields (at upper bound of wiki-recorded range) 14 echoes worth of stuff
or 23 echoes worth of stuff and increased nightmares

Pretend that if you alternate the three rewards in a cycle you just manage your menaces. Then it’s (214+23)/(314)=1.214 epa

Significantly worse than boxgrind, and more unreliable, and more involved-clicky.[/quote]

Well, there’s also the goods you usually gain when you cycle Airs: am I right in saying those are worth between 1-2 each time, depending what you pick - the Curate’s table: 1.5; Chef: 2, One of the others was 1.95, and the rare success on listening to the Drownies is worth up to 3 echos (25 Romantic Notions + zee story).

I have got all the rewards and am in London but I am going back to the festival after I get my MW high enough to protect my Notability as I like the unpredictability of it all.

Is it really worth it financially? … probably not as the epa isn’t on a par with some London based activities but for anyone who hasn’t got as far as the Affair of the Box or any of the other most profitable actions it isn’t too bad. Fishing trips that only use quirks to get a level 5 catch (6 if you use the final quirk adjusting option) can give good rewards. If you need to spend items while fishing it is less profitable.

If you are still after the lower rewards it is definitely worth continuing to give catches to the lady. There are 12.5 echo rare successes for a Forgotten Dossier (Blackmail material instead of the Passphrases) and the fabrics (Puzzle Damask instead of the whisper silk). I haven’t discovered if there are similar rewards for other Cove values.

If you give your catch to the well you get between 0-2 Extraordinary Implications. As a Seeker I also like getting the Appalling Secrets.

Then there are the other items you can get while cycling Airs or reducing menaces and it all adds up. Plus you are probably getting some things that aren’t as common in London (I’m not 100% certain about that though)

[quote=Parelle]
Well, there’s also the goods you usually gain when you cycle Airs: am I right in saying those are worth between 1-2 each time, depending what you pick - the Curate’s table: 1.5; Chef: 2, One of the others was 1.95, and the rare success on listening to the Drownies is worth up to 3 echos (25 Romantic Notions + zee story).[/quote]

Since I assumed 3 actions to get to the cash-in, this would increase the epa by … handwave … around 2*2/14, to 1.214+0.286=1.5, which still fails to impress

Slightly disappointed that you can’t pay Fate to get Sinning Jenny’s Wimple, since that is indeed an &quotitem from previous years&quot. But oh well![li]
edited by Jeremy Avalon on 8/21/2017

Finally managed to acquire the knife. Low numbers are surprisingly hard to achieve. Amusingly, it actually reduces Dangerous…
edited by Jermaine Vendredi on 8/24/2017

Indeed. I think I ended up just paying the 5 Fate by the end of the festival last year, because the alternative was me going insane.

A comment on EpA though - it certainly looks like fishing for echoes isn’t the way to go, but instead:

• Empty Chair (2.5E)
  • The Mayor (2.5E)
  • Interact with Drownies (listen or dance) 50-250p of items and 1-2cp of menace. (with relevant skill of 200)

And only go fishing when you’re needing to reset your menaces - 11 actions to fish, and then 1 to cash in at about 10E average - and resetting most of your nightmares or wounds, even with not much ‘strange catch’ level. (Lower end is 4x strange catch, so with 5 SC you’ll be losing 20 CP of nightmares, and that’s 0-6 gone, and possibly more)

I can’t quite figure out the EpA, because it depends rather on the roll frequency. But 2/3rds of the time the 2.5E mayor options are available, so of 100 actions you’d be:

• 165E from mayor (2.5EpA)
  • 34 * 1.5E average which would accumulate an average of 51CP of wounds|nightmares.
  • Which would need on average 2 fishing trips to ‘reset’ for an additional 12 actions each. (and 10E each).

So overall - 236E for 124 actions - which I think makes it around 1.9EpA. (Anyone care to correct my numbers?)
edited by Ed Rolison on 8/23/2018

In the other thread the calculations came out to about 1.94EPA, but that was by going to London and using social actions to remove menaces (10 actions zailing, accept 6 invites per menace, gain 0 echoes). So about 1.9-1.95EPA seems to be about right for the entire thing - which I believe is better than anything else unless you have access to court and upwards of 600-1000E upfront.

Definitely a fantastic way for newer characters to deck themselves out in full bazaar gear and build up a nice cash fund during the couple of weeks the event is running, especially since this one in particular is really easy to &quotcomplete&quot early on leaving a lot of time free for grinding.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 8/23/2018

Based on the data collected so far, I’m guessing that it picks a random even number between (Catch Level)*2 and (Catch Level)*4. It was probably done this way to avoid the rounding issues that caused certain values to be much more likely than others.

EDIT: another way of looking at it, is that it uses the exact same formula, just with a *4 added at the end
edited by mp on 8/19/2019

[quote=phryne]CAUTION - 2019 WORK IN PROGRESS!

• Picking… 26-28: A Semi-Automated Mary Lloyd (Transport, D+4, Biz+3)[/li][li]Picking… 22+: An Anonymous White Mask, Zee-Stained and Mildewy (Hat, S+6 Dre+2)[/li][li]Picking… 18-20: A Nuncian Pocket Watch (Weapon, S+6, Res+2)

previous years’ equipment, still available (only?) for Fate:[ul][li]20 Fate: Pre-Emptive Guinea-Pig (Weapon, D+7 W+6)[/li][li]15 Fate: ‘For Your Own Good’ Compass (Weapon, W+6 S+4 D-1)[/li][li]15 Fate: Bloodstained Eolith (Weapon, W+5 D+4 P-1)[/li][li]15 Fate: A Submerged Rector (Companion, P+7 W+6)[/li][li]10 Fate: Consignment of Scintillack Snuff (Weapon, D+5 P+3 S-1)[/li][li]10 Fate: Mutersalt (Weapon, D+3 S+2 W-1)[/li][li]10 Fate: A Cured Jillyfleur Cloak (Clothing, D+6 W+4 P-1)[/li][li]10 Fate: Wrecking Boots (Boots, S+6 D+4 P-1)[/li][li]5 Fate: Scrimshander Carving Knife (Weapon, W+3 P+2 D-1)
[/li][li]5 Fate: A Faceted Decanter of Drownie Effluvia (Weapon, S+5 W+3 D-1)[/li][/ul]
Legend:
D=Dangerous, P=Persuasive, S=Shadowy, W=Watchful
Biz=Bizarre, Dre=Dreaded, Res=Respectable

edited by phryne on 8/19/2019[/quote]
Rector can be achieved without Fate. I not buy this in last year and see in current when have 30 cove.
[li]

Thanks to mp and MrCandles and the contributors to the wikia :) I’ve further amended my post, Fate and Non-Fate items should be correctly displayed now.
edited by phryne on 8/20/2019

Just now, with SC 6, i got Picking 22.
How to raise SC beyond 6? (with all 9 successfull checks, i got it to 6 only).

[quote=fafer.forums]Just now, with SC 6, i got Picking 22.
How to raise SC beyond 6? (with all 9 successfull checks, i got it to 6 only).[/quote]
You need to use Cartography items (Zee-Ztories and Maps). They give more Running Battle than the Quirk checks.

False, fortunately. The previous set of items is still around (I’ve seen the carving knife, boots, and rector). You can see both item from the previous set and the new one at the same time if you’re missing them both.

False, fortunately. The previous set of items is still around (I’ve seen the carving knife, boots, and rector). You can see both item from the previous set and the new one at the same time if you’re missing them both.[/quote]
Thanks, I’ve just been amending my post :)
The reason I was confused last night was that I couldn’t see any of the old items - with or without Fate - because I was playing on an account that already has them all :D

False, fortunately. The previous set of items is still around (I’ve seen the carving knife, boots, and rector). You can see both item from the previous set and the new one at the same time if you’re missing them both.[/quote]
Thanks, I’ve just been amending my post :)
The reason I was confused last night was that I couldn’t see any of the old items - with or without Fate - because I was playing on an account that already has them all :D[/quote]
I will test by alt with small quirks: if FBG back all older items, it is really cool!
[li]

Just wondering: If I choose to throw back the catch and start all over, does it matter how much of my running battle I keep? Is it wise to throw away a Strange Catch quality 9, or should I throw only the smallest ones since I will get more or less the same bonus at the start of the next fishing round?