FLR: The Cheery Man and The Last Constable

I’m taking a break right now to wait for actions, but I’m playing the Last Constable route on my main and journaling it. Is anyone doing the same with the Cheery Man? I’d really like to hear his way of telling the tale.

Yes please, I’m stuck at work and I can’t freaking take this! :P

I picked the first storylet from Preparing for a Lethal Gambit and found out that I need to grind a heist. I can’t devote myself to this, as I’m currently putting nearly all of my APs into my preparations for the Noman. (I’m sooo behind schedule!)

Oh, well… I guess I’ll have to wait until February! :P
edited by Sallow on 10/18/2017

I’ve been super excited playing this, but I seem to have hit a new content boundary of sorts:

Imgur

In the aftermath, no one seems sure of what to do. Not even the storylet seems to know.

Well, the tragedy part wasn’t a joke. I don’t think I like that the luck mechanic is used to choose the end result. Makes the ending ring a bit hollow to me, although that might be part of the point.

Wait so is the outcome based on pure luck or can you influence it at all?

There is a stage where you can rig things to benefit your side, but the game warns you this is likely to upset your partner. I haven’t decided whether I want to take that option yet.

Just a warning, even rigging doesn’t guarantee their victory.[li]

Man, I’m not generally EVER a fan of anything where you have to expend a lot of effort and still the result is based on luck. People are talking about having to go around carousels. That’s a lot of stuff to do for a coin flip in the end.

I WAS considering resetting because so many criminal-related things seem to check for friendship with the Cheery Man, but if the end result is luck? Maybe I’ll just deal with it.

Yikes, sounds like I may have to reset this over and over based on the results of the luck check. Good thing I have a bunch of fate squirreled away.
edited by Kukapetal on 10/18/2017

Actually nevermind. I ain’t paying money for the privilege of being spat on by the writers multiple times This was just too much.
edited by Kukapetal on 10/19/2017

I wonder whether the Last Constable got a buff now. Does anyone know yet? Because if not, it would actually be in-character for me to side with the Cheery Man instead purely for the mechanical benefits. I’ve always regretted my initial choice, but now that there’s new content I have no way of knowing if this imbalance is still present.

I’m so depressed now, and haven’t spotted where you can reset the story yet. I saw there was a way to doctor the odds, but I didn’t want to upset her and wanted to do things honestly…but it’s hard to accept what happened. I would have been willing to grind for weeks to make sure there would be a good outcome (not unlike weddings), ensuring both she thought there was no foul play afoot, and that the game went in her favor. I didn’t even fully understand what was about to happen until we were there, and I realized the odds were severely against her. Not even increasingly, just bad from the start.

It’s oddly comforting to know I’m not the only one mildly stressed about this.

While I understand it was a story of a father and his daughter, with you only as an observer, I still wish there was an option for some desperate intervention, or even rather unsportsmanlike retaliation if the dice didn’t favour you, but you still wanted to see the other side dead.

Wait a second. The end result depends on luck? And if you don’t like it you have to pay Fate in order to reset the story? Is that correct? That’s pretty shameless, I have to admit.

And it seems that none of these characters will be expanded upon in the future, considering the random nature of the outcome.

I’ve been waiting for so long… What a bitter disappointment.

So I assume that if the Cheery Man cops it then his card will no longer appear?

Think I’ll pass on this one and keep the card if that’s the case, just like with the Cheesemonger. I’d rather have a steady source of favours than the denouement to a story that I can’t even remember anything about.

I am not sure if you even can reset the story after the tragic finale.

If you have either of them as Companions, do you lose them if things don’t go your way?

That kind of narrative design is completely unacceptable in my eyes. Deeply unsatisfying and frustrating.

Tanith is journaling the Cheery Man’s side.

[Edit: apparently I was wrong and you CAN lose your Feast companion!]
edited by Aberrant Eremite on 10/19/2017

I haven’t played it yet, but I really, really don’t like the sound of the end of this story being a pure luck check at all. It renders my decisions pretty meaningless, and that seems poor for the game. And I don’t like the idea of having to pay real money for a second shot. It’s one thing if my actions did not have the anticipated result needing to repay, but pure rng seems crappy. I am not one to complain, I try to stay positive on content, and I confess I haven’t seen it yet but this really makes me question if I even want to play it, which seems a bad thing.
edited by Lady Karnstein on 10/18/2017