Fixing debates!

I’m a professional Fixer. And, to my great dismay, Debates are mostly honest (discounting the possibility to prepare some elements in the crowd beforehand). There is a thread to find potential partners, but it is utterly non-predetermined and obnoxiously risky.

So I thought, let’s change that!

[ul][li]WHY?[/li][/ul]According to various polls, about one-third of those actively engaged in the election are literally Fixers. Another ten to twenty percent are actively engaged in raising angry mobs to discourage people from voting against their candidate.

Yes, many may prefer going into debates in a proper, honest fashion. But I’m sure many would like a slightly more, eh, convenient way to go about this, without all the uncertainty and hassle of facing in public someone with whom you haven’t reached a proper agreement in private beforehand.
Also I’m sure most forum-goers are active enough to max out their level when going about this the proper way - this will just speed things up a bit, for those so inclined.

[ul][li]SO HOW DOES THIS WORK?[/li][/ul]Simple enough. Either post the template below and wait for someone to contact you, or peruse the existing posts to find a partner.
Things to note:

[ul][li]Don’t attack your opponent! When preparing the hall, pick either the honest (oh, the irony) or defensive option.[/li][li]For optimal benefit, the winner should pick the debate strategy that carries a bonus for the given venue - and the loser should pick respectively. On top of being more profitable, this simplifies organisation quite a bit since there’s no need to negotiate who will pick which debating strategy - the game will tell you that.[/li][li]One person has to lose a debate - so in the interest of fairness, each debate should be reciprocated. It’s up to you and your partner to decide who wins/loses first, but afterwards, the roles must be reversed in a second debate.[/li][/ul]Basically, win one, lose one, don’t be mean.

[ul][li]TEMPLATE[/li][/ul]Profile link:
Candidate:
Mostly active:

Since there are quite a few social action back-and-forth exchanges, it’s useful to know the approximate times during which you will be likely to be replying promptly to debating actions. Make sure you either specify times in London time, or explicitly mention your time zone.
If any of that changes (e.g. you max out your level, or will be online at a different time) please update your post!

[ul][li]A final note[/li][/ul]If people feel this subverts the election too much, let me know. But, like I said above, nothing about this electoral process is remotely fair in-universe - so why should that be limited to storylet flavour text? Our social actions are just as much part of the election, so why should we play by the rules?

Happy debate fixing!
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 7/3/2017
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 7/3/2017

I like this idea. Lets fix all the debates. I would be willing to do some fixed debates.
profile link is in my signature. I am supporter of implacable detective and I check the game at least once an hour between GMT noon and midnight, well sometimes I will be around even until GMT mornings :)
edit: I got my influence to 15 so I dont need to debate. my thanks to dudebro pyro for this thread and being my debate partner.
edited by suhe gul on 7/6/2017

Emmm, not that Fallen London is know to be extremely follow-the-rules puritan victorian city… It even seemed decently appropriate to sell votes in a respectful and gentleman-ish way.

But fixing debates looks a bit… over the hedge, doesn’t it? Will our fellow citizens abandon their decisions and beliefs in their candidate loosing to an opponent? Thats can be perceived (and is by myself at least) as dishonest for both sides and candidates.

Fixing debates sounds perfectly reasonable. Our ‘fellow citizens’ will do whatever we tell them to do. Just give them some wine, a good story, and a pat on the back.

Dumb question: how the heck do I actually “prepare the hall” for a debate in which I’ve agreed to participate? I can’t find a card or an action to do so.

It’s a social action, and you have to wait for the other person to respond.

This can take all day.

In my case, I was invited to debate and responded immediately. But now see no way to actually continue. Is that normal? Am I waiting for the person who originally invited me to do something?

Yup, it’s now their turn to respond. It’s a 3 or 4 action back-and-forth between the two debaters. Hopefully they’ll get on it soon!

In my experience it’s best to coordinate beforehand to make sure both parties are about to bash the whole thing out quickly, for everyone’s convenience.
edited by Barse on 7/3/2017

now seeing complaints about how long it takes to do debates, I understand the reason dudebro pyro requested adding the times you are online. and it is working like a charm. also win one, lose one is for player sanity not something in character. I cannot imagine leaving something like this to chance.
edited by suhe gul on 7/3/2017

I’ve been trying to respond to an invitation to a debate, but every time it just takes me to the send a message screen, to basically send an invitation.

Yes? Some new social actions work like that now. Send that ‘invitation’ back to the person who sent the invite to debate, and wait for them to take the next step, then do it again and again until it ends.

Thats the thing, I can’t send it back. It brings me to the selection screen, but all contacts are ineligble with the description of why is &quotyou need qualities.&quot I’m not entirely certain what is going on with that. I’m guessing either the person who sent the invitation has another debate partner, or there is another storylet i have to go through first.

Is it possible that the other player isn’t in London? That is always a problem with social actions, and more of a problem when it comes to tying up another player in a back-and-forth thing like debates. And if FBG allows people to send invitations and then respond to a different invitation of the same type, then yes, it seems possible that the other player managed to get into another debate. But you should not need another storylet. And you could just choose to refuse the debate, at a 0 Action cost. Serves them right if they’re not going to stick around for you.

edited by Gillsing on 7/4/2017

That’s my biggest problem with the debate system right now. Because you need to go back and forth 3 or 4 times, it can takes days to do one lousy debate, when you need dozens to get to ItE 15.
I wish we could choose all our options at once instead of having to wait for the other person every time.

I’m happy to partner up with someone for exchanging debates given they take some time to get done randomly.
As a Campaigner I can make sure rich donors are present at the debate as well, so both parties will walk away with a little extra resources.

I support the Detective, and I’m available to check the game usually between 10am and 6pm GMT, but will check into the game less frequently in the evenings.

Thought if someone could post which options are the ones that give a bonus for the venue, that’d be great. I’m not exactly sure which is which as I’ve only had the one debate and I think I chose the wrong one that time.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/NinjaComedian

[quote=NinjaComedian]I’m happy to partner up with someone for exchanging debates given they take some time to get done randomly.
As a Campaigner I can make sure rich donors are present at the debate as well, so both parties will walk away with a little extra resources.

I support the Detective, and I’m available to check the game usually between 10am and 6pm GMT, but will check into the game less frequently in the evenings.

Thought if someone could post which options are the ones that give a bonus for the venue, that’d be great. I’m not exactly sure which is which as I’ve only had the one debate and I think I chose the wrong one that time.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/NinjaComedian[/quote]

I would be very interested in partnering either Hark or Your Aunt for debates. Both are Temperance Campaign supporters (Hark a Fixer, Your Aunt a Campaigner) although Hark is currently engaged in a debate so partnering with Your Aunt may be easier and would give us both greater rewards.

I’ll send an invite to Your Aunt for a debate. As you were gracious enough to partner up, feel free to win the first debate.

I’ve had a grand total of one debate so far, which I lost. I think I’d be in for this.

DTC supporter.

Well, this looks convenient and useful. I would be happy to engage in mutual beneficial agreements for the enrichment of all.

Profile: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Amneiger
Candidate: Implacable Detective
Times available: I check back periodically throughout the day. (Tomorrow specifically might not be good though, since I’ll be on a plane.)

I’m interested in this as well. I will check the game fairly regularly throughout the day, if I’m expecting social actions.

Implacable Detective supporter.
edited by theonie on 7/4/2017
edited by theonie on 7/4/2017