First Steps on the Seeking Road

The guide mentions being able to repeat the journey South, to get 1 SMEN, but I went zailing a couple times and didn’t see the storylet to do that in Across the Southern Archipelago. The wiki says you just need a Hollow Heart, and I have that, but the option’s not showing up for me. Has something changed, or am I misinterpreting the post…? (Worst comes to worst I can just go back to Winking Isle. :P)

Pumpkinhead had confirmed in the other thread that this definitely used to work. The requirements indeed were just having the Hollow Heart.

It’s possible that they’ve changed the requirements recently to specific ranges of the Wells quality. But is so it’s weird, since FBG have said before that Seeking is very much Alexis’s thing, and they won’t touch it, even to fix requirement inconsistencies.

Ah, okay; thanks for the information! ^u^

Does anyone know what happens if you have the Cider and return to the surface via Nightmare Festival?
I’ve also been investigating obscurity as Lily’s Price. What if you raise your obscurity and ascend instead of descend? Does the sun kill you?

Going ABOVE THE NEATH just kills you in a completely generic manner, so having Cider just means you can get back faster.

I doubt that Lilac’s price was Obscurity, given that basically distances you from the schemes of the Bazaar and Masters, and Obscurity doesn’t as far as we know let you visit the surface or make people forget you. Plus it’s heavily implied that getting Obscurity makes you so heavily irrigoed that you never physically leave the Nadir and the rest of Seeking is an ambiguously-real dream.

I’d like to confirm something: I’m taking a gung-ho Seeking alt all the way North, but I was considering getting the Knock with my main character, both because I like collecting unique items and because the lore behind that option is not available to read publicly.

I’ve put a lot of time and Fate into that character and I don’t want them to end up crippled. If I take the freebie option to sidestep Obscurity and get Erzulie’s and go all the way to the Knock, will my character end up with any other permanent penalties, other than loss of Echoes and actions spent?
edited by hwoosh on 6/18/2018

You’ll lose some stats, and it’s currently impossible to get rid of Memories of Chains (and expensive to get rid of Stains and Scars) but you’ll be basically fine. You can divert all of your money into the few things Winking Isle doesn’t nick from ya and come out of it not even all that much poorer.

Source: I threw my character headlong into Seeking with all the gusto I could muster, was one of the first ones to grab the Knock and now my character is doing better than ever! Although he is a lot uglier.

[quote=Barse]You’ll lose some stats, and it’s currently impossible to get rid of Memories of Chains (and expensive to get rid of Stains and Scars) but you’ll be basically fine. You can divert all of your money into the few things Winking Isle doesn’t nick from ya and come out of it not even all that much poorer.

Source: I threw my character headlong into Seeking with all the gusto I could muster, was one of the first ones to grab the Knock and now my character is doing better than ever! Although he is a lot uglier.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Memories, Stains, and Scars don’t actually have any in-game effect other than as stepping-stones to the first candle, do they? In that case, I’ll happily view them as souvenirs of the deranged journey.

Yeah, they do mostly nothing, although be careful not to misplace your Soul while it’s Stained. It’s super hard to do and very much a fringe case, but scary enough to be worth mentioning! As long as you dodge Obscurity there’s nothing else of consequence that can permanently mess you up.

Getting your own severed head may have some RP ramifications, assuming you like your body to be flesh and not wax.

One’s own severed head and wax body is a conversation start.

As an aside: An excellent guide! It seems I have some quirks to set into…