First Death

Today I had my first Sunless Sea death. I’d gone on my third voyage and was getting low on supplies, but it was the terror that did me in. I failed a mutiny check, and then passed my map on to my heir. I was really close to London, too.

what was your first death?

I wandered off the northern edge of the map, got teleported to Avid Horizon, which was awesome. Then I got killed by Mt. Nomad while trying to make my way back to safer waters.

Oddly, this was my second death, too, only that time it was a desperate prayer to the god who teleports you to the ass-end of nowhere in the bottom left corner of the map. That time it was a golden glowing boat that killed me.

According to my Steam Achievements, apparently retiring to a Mansion with piles and piles of echoes counted as my first death? Close enough, I suppose.

My first death was to a stupid stupid crash into rocks after having limped across the map with 1 health when a fight with a pirate went badly wrong. I nearly cried.

Mt. Nomad. Probably. I died a lot at first, so they all kind of blur together.

[quote=ElectricPaladin]I wandered off the northern edge of the map, got teleported to Avid Horizon, which was awesome. Then I got killed by Mt. Nomad while trying to make my way back to safer waters.

Oddly, this was my second death, too, only that time it was a desperate prayer to the god who teleports you to the ass-end of nowhere in the bottom left corner of the map. That time it was a golden glowing boat that killed me.[/quote]

Yeee died in both of those ways. I think at the Castle I died to mutiny though, not to a glowing boat. Does praying to a god remove that god’s attention? Because I vaguely recall praying to him 3-4 times hoping he’d send me somewhere else.
edited by Olorin on 2/17/2015

I had gotten bored with my first captain so I decided to test random things liek going off all the map edges and fighting every zee beast I could find regardless how strong it looked. Finally fulfilled his deathwish when he ran out of fuel fighting a simple Moray

I got blasted out of the water by those …

Am I allowed to use the d word when Hell is involved? Because I really want to use it about the Faustian Coursers.
edited by Jules Asimov on 2/17/2015

If I remember correctly, my first death was when I sailed off the southern end of the map, failed a very difficult Hearts check.

Something fairly random and unmemorable. Partially because it was before they added realtime combat.

I know one of my early captains I got almost killed by losing hafl my crew so i couldn’t go full speed and getting caught in a whirlpool and being unable to escape.

This is kind of embarrassing. After going down Adam’s Way and succeeding the check, I limped back to london with 1 hull and crew for repairs and crew. After nearly dying fifty times, I reached london, forgot to repair, and hit the shore returning to London. Good thing I got rid of invictus.
edited by Aegis1000 on 2/17/2015

Also terror. In the beta, it was nigh impossible to get rid of I found, so eventually it did me in. I didn’t play again until closer to release date, when they’d fixed that.

it is ridiculously easy to bump into stuff. it’s like the first time you learn to drive a car, a bit, except you don’t have your parents to either side of you going &quotOH GOD OH GOD WHY ARE WE LETTING YOU LEARN HOW TO DRIVE&quot