Feedback on crafting 'Extraordinary Implications'

Specifically, for those of us who are/were ‘Unwelcome at the University’.

Each time you convert ‘Journals of Infamy’, it lowers your ‘Connected: Bethnic’ quality. Likewise, converting ‘Tales of Terror’ lowers ‘Connected: Summerset’. Once they are two low, access is only available for the cross-type transformations. Extraordinary implications can no longer be made - only ground/found. Thus making Uncanny Incanabulae much harder to make.

To achieve ‘Unwelcome at the University’, you already have to to destroy your [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Connections with Summerset. And after a scientific expedition, and restoring your reputation, you don’t get access back to any ways to ‘Pass the Term’ or anything else that allows your to raise your reputation with either school.[/color].
I managed to get a one-shot reboost, (I can’t remember from where), to my University-specific connections, but since then, I’m running out of options due to multiple conversions and consistently lowering reputation levels.

Seeing as Mystery items are amongst the most common, if not THE most commonly earned item, I thought it might be prudent to either:

• Adjust that reputation loss quality.
  • Put in a repeatable way to re-gain some reputation for the ‘Unwelcome’, or if it makes more sense, those of us who re-established our credentials.
  • Have an additional option to create Extraordinary Implications that takes reputation from somewhere where it can be regained.

Many thanks.

Additionally, crafting the Uncanny Incanabulum costs a fair hit of Connected: Bethnic, and it’s the only option for crafting them, (or getting them at all, barring one-offs, like getting a Blistering Brass Key).
The lower it gets, the bigger the hit.

If you visit the University, do you have access to a Storylet by the name of “A colleague with a problem”? It raises connections with both colleges. It’s also been there for a while.

Being unwelcome is meant to have negative consequences. Otherwise [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]it wouldn’t be so meaningful that you did the right thing anyway.[/color] But you can eventually get back into their good graces by undertaking a Voyage of Scientific Discovery.
edited by Patrick Reding on 4/5/2012

Yet more reasons to not move past being a guest lecturer. I know I need to to progress in the Watchful storylines and have told myself I have to when I have enough fate to afford Flute Street, but I like that bit of the game so much and it suits my character. It’s really hard to leave.

Not a bad plan. You’d might as well hold off until you get a ship.

Ah, that was the ‘one-off boost’ :D - Ok, I should retract my above post.

Concerning being unwelcome - if you’re enjoying the University, don’t spill the beans, if you’re going to. I did, and have since done every option from Scientific Discovery, including ‘re-establishing your rep’. Doing so removes ‘unwelcome’, but currently doesn’t open up any new options.

Ah, that was the ‘one-off boost’ :D - Ok, I should retract my above post.[/quote]

You do also get a one-off boost to Connected: Summerset when you reestablish your reputation, and you need to do so to have access to that storylet. There’s also the University Fellowship, if you’re willing to drop a few Echoes- it requires you to have one point in the respected Connected quality (so you can’t do Summerset when you’re Unwelcome), but it’s probably more efficient in the long run than that storylet.

Do you keep access to the Term Passing storylets if you make the other choice at the end of the University storyline? I was under the impression that the only difference in the storylets at the end was that you got one new grindable one (“Growing Pains”), and retained access to “A Colleague with a Problem” and “The Committee on Semiotic Safety.” Doing Scientific Expedition regains access to those last two, and Failbetter has hinted that there might be more to do at the University down the line.

Personally, though, I think it’s wonderful that your narrative choices lock out a few options in the crafting system. And it’s not that bad, especially as the Fidgeting Writer storyline provides backdoors for both Extraordinary Implications and Collated Research that are only slightly less effective than crafting.

You can also get Uncanny Incanabula from Mutton Island, if you’re willing to travel. (Well, unless things have changed - I haven’t been there in 6 months)
10 Extraordinary Implications can be traded for 2 Incanabula, so it’s an acceptable price. He’ll even throw in a free Tale of Terror.

[quote=Aspeon]

Do you keep access to the Term Passing storylets if you make the other choice at the end of the University storyline? I was under the impression that the only difference in the storylets at the end was that you got one new grindable one (“Growing Pains”), and retained access to “A Colleague with a Problem” and “The Committee on Semiotic Safety.” Doing Scientific Expedition regains access to those last two, and Failbetter has hinted that there might be more to do at the University down the line.

Personally, though, I think it’s wonderful that your narrative choices lock out a few options in the crafting system. And it’s not that bad, especially as the Fidgeting Writer storyline provides backdoors for both Extraordinary Implications and Collated Research that are only slightly less effective than crafting.[/quote]

Colleague with a problem, and the committe re-open. All term-passing stuff goes no matter what stage you’re at with it- and I agree, it’s great that there are real ramifications. It’s one of the draws of the game, and add’s massively to its depth, (I just thought I’d caught an oversight).
I’m looking forward to what they add with the Uni. The Dilman club is making good use of the ‘Associating with Radical academics’, and the scientific expeditions; which are secondarily related to the University.

I’ll probably hit colleague with a problem, as although mutton island saves on the rep loss; you can do it for as long as you have enough Implications - but there’s also the actions required to get to and from their - assuming the grind is for Overgoat and gear cash, (like mine is :) )