Right now the ships we can buy in the shipyard face a big problem.

The cargo ship.
Let’s look at it’s stats: for 7k echoes, you get 100 hold, 200 hull, and the ships can run with 17-18 crew. I can cram in 20 supplies, and some fuel, get to Palmerstone and make a run of the whole known Unterzee with still a lot of space in my hull for trading and storing stuff.

At double the price we found the Frigate. What do we get for those 14k echoes? 40 units of hold space less, and 50 points of Hull less!
The ships still needs more than 15 sailors to move at full speed.
I understand why a ships built to fight has less hold space than a cargo ship, it makes sense, even if it makes the frigate much less appealing.
But why, in the name of the gods of the Unterzee, the Frigate, a ship built for combat, has less Hull than a cargo ship?
Right now the frigate is a downgrade from the cargo ship in all senses. It’s just not worth the price.

The dreadnought needs a serious buff. It costs a whole lot of echoes, but it’s not worth the price. You get for it the same hull space the cargo ships does and just 50 more points of hull? Now to mention it needs at least 20 sailors to operate at full speed.
It’ll be probably tied to the updates and work you’ll do on the combat, I think you guys already knows this stuff, I just wanted to say it out loud.

It’s awesome that you listened to what we said about combat, it really is.

P.S. Could you fix the crates on the cargo ships, I mean I know you drew it like that, but right now it looks like some crates will fall at the next turn.
It just looks untidy.

P.P.S What is the big, vaguely rectangular, white thing at the end of the Frigate? And why does is moves around left and right, when the ship turns, it sort of looks like it’s suspended. Just curios.

Edit: New ship, the Steam-Yatch, acquirable in Venderbight with Deeds to a Steam-Yatch, which can now be obtained in only one way, as a rewards for, well I don’t want to spoil it. If you don’t know go read the topic about the Emerald Update.

Well the Steam-Yatch has only 100 points of Hull and a Hold of 60, so it works like a less armored Frigate. And we have already established the Frigate is worse than the Cargo ship.
But this ship as 3 things that make it desirable even to experienced captains: a bonus of 10 to Pages, and 2 other stats I don’t remember now, it require only 20 zailors to navigate, so you’ll need to store less supply than the cargo ship, and, which will be interesting in the future, weights only 3000. Which, when it’ll be in play, it’ll make it go faster than other ships.
edited by tyrrelduckard on 8/1/2014

The cargo ship rocks. All other ships suck to varying degrees. How about the cutter though, huh? It seems to me that you couldn’t even make it to Palmerston with that one. Has anyone tried that already?

I agree, the ships are a bit skewed.

For instance, the Phorcyd-class corvette - &quotSmall, swift and formidable, like a very angry vole&quot. It weighs more than your first steamer and has more quarters but for some reason it has 10 less cargo space. Honestly it should at least have as much if not a little more cargo space considering it weighs twice as much as the steamer. I would love nothing more than a small ship that is an upgraded version of the steamer because saving fuel and supplies is important to me.

Ship listings on the wiki below:

edited by Owen Wulf on 7/29/2014

There are currently only two ships in this game; the starting steamer and the upgrade, i.e., merchant cruiser. The cutter is a death trap; with only 5 crew, many random events could leave you stranded far from port at half speed. The dreadnought is not worth the money when compared to the merchant cruiser and the frigate, as others point out, is worse than the cruiser at twice the price.
One simple fix, imo, is that military ships should trade cargo space for increase weight, iron, and hull. The amount of increase is subject to debate, but I would expect the dreadnought and frigates to come with substantial bonuses to iron and substantially more hull than the merchant cruiser.

My proposed solution is to give extra weapon slots. It is, after all, a naval vessel.

ive been of the thought that Military vessels, should be the reward for gaining enough trust to enter the Naval services, the bad news is you got to do what the admiral says, and your new Navigator that you have to take on is there because he is the son of some blue blood aristocrat (who may actually have blue blood), but the good news is that they give you your supplies and your fuel.

I’m fully expecting that, at some point down the line, the smaller ships will have their equipment slots limited, among other similar alterations. Having two gun-decks when the civilian ships only have one would certainly make the corvette, frigate and dreadnaught more appealing, for instance.

This seems like a good idea to me.

I’m just curious about what I need to do to get the yacht from Venderbight.

I do not think Venderblight is selling any Yachts, atleast not to my knowledge.

I do not think Venderblight is selling any Yachts, atleast not to my knowledge.[/quote]

It sure is. Take a look. You need a deed to buy one.

I’m fully expecting that, at some point down the line, the smaller ships will have their equipment slots limited, among other similar alterations. Having two gun-decks when the civilian ships only have one would certainly make the corvette, frigate and dreadnaught more appealing, for instance.[/quote]

Ideas-ideas-ideas…

Let the tramp steamer be the default for everything, and adjust other boats according to…

A) Equipment slots: The military ships should all have more forward and/or deck slots, and maybe additional bridge slots as well. The very largest ships (military or civilian) should have additional auxiliary slots. The very smallest ships should be offered with some basic slots (like auxiliary or aft, but certainly not bridge) not available at all.

B) Performance: Let all engines have the same fuel consumption based on their power rating, but let the speed bonus available from that power rating vary with the boat’s weight. Maybe the Dreadnaught would need one of those +2000 power engines just to have respectable speed compared to the Tramp Steamer, maybe the Cutter with the same engine could fly across the zee so quickly the extra fuel conspution wouldn’t be so much of an issue…

C) Moar, much moar, general stat bonuses.

That’s what seems logical to me. Of course it seems So logical watch me get spanked for suggesting things the devs already have in the pipe. ;p

I do not think Venderblight is selling any Yachts, atleast not to my knowledge.[/quote]

It sure is. Take a look. You need a deed to buy one.[/quote]

I saw it, and it is a beauty. Might even trade in my dreadnought for it (because having to leave port with 30 or 40 fuel and food to be on the safe side is slightly annoying). Best guess is that the deed is somehow connected to the Curator’s questline - that or maybe the Bandaged Poissonier (aka Jonah?) will chip in to that end.

edited by Owen Wulf on 7/31/2014

Has anyone gotten the new Steam Yacht yet? I went and took a peek and it looks like a good early-game upgrade from the steamer, but the implication it’s involved in the curator’s questline seems to sound like it’d only be available after you’d basically done so much that you wouldn’t need it/have already upgraded to something bigger and better…

It may at first seem like a downgrade from the cargo ship or dreadnought, but with a +10 to Veils, Mirrors and Pages as well as requiring only 20 crewmen with a weight of just 3000 then it is definitely the kind of ship a late game captain might cruise around in. The 60 cargo may seem bad, but the emphasis in Sunless Sea is no longer on bulk trade deals but rather key item sets like 6 Clay Men or 20 Set Stones that need to be taken to different places for a large profit - rather than &quotas many scintallacks as you can carry&quot which was the case before. Of course, if you absolutely cannot do with 100 cargo space then it is not the ship for you.

edited by Owen Wulf on 7/31/2014

I’m not exactly sure how you get the deed to buy the yacht, but what I’m sure is that is has nothing to do with the curators and bandaged cook’s questline.[li]
edited by Atom Stratomsk on 7/31/2014