February's Exceptional Story: Cricket Anyone?

I just got the extra card that comes after you finish the story! Beautiful, establishes the new face in London, and new card art is always welcome.

Having said that.

Now I want the All the Saints card even more badly.

See? No good deed goes unpunished.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 2/1/2019

[quote=Jolanda Swan]I just got the extra card that comes after you finish the story! Beautiful, establishes the new face in London, and new card art is always welcome.

Having said that.

Now I want the All the Saints card even more badly.

See? No good deed goes unpunished.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 2/1/2019[/quote]You mean a permanent reward? Do share details, do share details!

Itā€™s taking nearly every fiber of my consciousness to keep my instant gratification monkey from jumping into the story right now.

Just wanted to stop by to mention after finishing the story, it seems that youā€™ll get an opportunity to go to one of the Perceptive Cricketerā€™s games regardless of what you do. Thereā€™s two options, and one gives you correspondence plaques!

Iā€™ll be honest, the last few Exceptional Stories have been somewhat underwhelming for me, but this one is on a whole another level. Excellent writing, great choices, some good actually relevant lore, a far better length, excellent humour. It was definitely one of the most memorable storylines in my time with Fallen London. My only regret is that I did not have the two unique items that seemed to open options during the bigā€¦ conversation, I suppose. Or at least the fact that the options I had were &quotunlocked&quot with the absence of those items makes me think that there must be an alternative for when you do actually have them.

There is a card that offers either 3 Correspondence Plaques or a Secluded Address and two Incendiary Gossip

I chose to keep The Word myself and was waiting with bated breath to read that outcomeā€¦ but my browser hung up on it and when I reloaded the page, I was back in my Lodgings. So frustrating! If anyone has the text from that choice, could you be kind enough to message me with it?

I agree with all the sentiments about this ES being brilliant, but my browser kept getting hung up on things, and I know I missed out on a few pieces because of it.

Does anyone have the text for what happens if you opt to accuse everyone? I clicked that, the page only partially loaded, and when I refreshed it had bumped me along to continuing the cricket match, so I didnā€™t see what accusing everyone actually led to.

It got hung up again when I clicked on ā€˜CONFESSā€™ after hitting the ball. Did I miss something between that and ā€˜A KINGDOM, CONFESSEDā€™? Because it kinda feels like Iā€™m missing something and Iā€™m leery to select anything without knowing if I have all the info.

My browser has also been getting the hanging issue, thankfully so far Iā€™ve managed to only have it happen on repeatable actions and the toasts before each inning, but now Iā€™m scared to select my accusation and risk missing major stuff towards the end of the story .-.

It seems to be a server-side issue, Iā€™ve had it for several hours by now and I know Iā€™m not the only one.

I havenā€™t finished the story yet for that reason, but I have to say, this is everything I want from a Fallen London story and more. Well written words, good humour, interactions between qualities (new or old), unique quality check, a WiS itemā€¦ I already loved The Rat-catcher and have had my eyes on Chandler, but this greatly surpassed my expectation. Very well done.

Youā€™d honestly have to put a gun to my head to get me to choose between this, Hojotoho and Lost in Reflections as my favourite ES out of everything Iā€™ve played so far in Fallen London.

Everything about this was great. The mechanics were great. The humour was outstanding (ā€œThe other batā€). The difference in time between seeing options you have no idea what the items are and realising how you get them is just right. The length was fantastic and made up for what I felt was a short story in December. And while I donā€™t have Courierā€™s Footprint, it was nice to see options for my other bats in the laboratory.

I would personally have loved to have kept the WORD to myself, but I think in character I did the right thing by giving it back. I think if the item itself was more beneficial to own then it would have been a more difficult choice.

Keep up the good work you crazy people.

This was a great ES; probably the best Iā€™ve played since HOJOTOHO! (and it might even be better than that). Pacing was good, mechanics were good, writing was excellent - and I particularly enjoyed how there was a little payoff for the SoTC grind.

(Now I just wish even harder for more University content! My character is, after all, first and foremost a scientist.)

Sorry, Iā€™m a little slow. WiS means what? Worst in slot?

Exactly.

Quick Q - Iā€™ve completed all the ES in this season. I was told that this would lead to an ā€˜end of seasonā€™ story that would utilise the items/qualities Iā€™d picked up? How/when does that happen?

Two questions:

1. Iā€™m working on Courierā€™s Footprint, but Iā€™m not there yet. Does not having it lose out on enough, either in rewards or in interesting text, to make it worth delaying this story until Iā€™ve studied more Correspondence?

2. What if I donā€™t want to clutter my deck with a card that pays off in 1.5 echoes of stuff?

When the season finale is finished, youā€™ll see the beginning from anywhere in London. It can take some time for Failbetter to finish writing the conclusions though, especially since theyā€™re very busy right now with the release of Sunless Skiesā€”weā€™re still waiting on the conclusion for the previous season as well.

[quote=Tyrconnell]Two questions:

1. Iā€™m working on Courierā€™s Footprint, but Iā€™m not there yet. Does not having it lose out on enough, either in rewards or in interesting text, to make it worth delaying this story until Iā€™ve studied more Correspondence?

2. What if I donā€™t want to clutter my deck with a card that pays off in 1.5 echoes of stuff?[/quote]1. Wow, an option that requires that quality, neat! I see people are pleased it, but it may be the enthusiasm of finally getting something for SotC 21!

3. Still thinking about that, still thinking myself. Need to run the numbers and see how profitable is the card for getting Stormy-Threnodies.

[quote=Shaicarus]I agree with all the sentiments about this ES being brilliant, but my browser kept getting hung up on things, and I know I missed out on a few pieces because of it.

Does anyone have the text for what happens if you opt to accuse everyone? I clicked that, the page only partially loaded, and when I refreshed it had bumped me along to continuing the cricket match, so I didnā€™t see what accusing everyone actually led to.

It got hung up again when I clicked on ā€˜CONFESSā€™ after hitting the ball. Did I miss something between that and ā€˜A KINGDOM, CONFESSEDā€™? Because it kinda feels like Iā€™m missing something and Iā€™m leery to select anything without knowing if I have all the info.[/quote]

Accusing everyone: Fallen London

I do not think you missed anything between &quotCONFESS&quot and &quotA KINGDOM, CONFESSED&quot - at least, I have nothing in my journal between those two.

As for the story itself, I loved it. It is definitely one of the best ESs I have played - it is between this and Flint for me.
No matter what I might have considered before I got the option (to complete it, or avert the outcome), once I saw an option unlocked with SotC 21, I couldnā€™t not take that option.

However, does someone have a link to the ā€˜standardā€™ option to complete the plot, where you donā€™t literally rewrite/crush the laws of heaven?

Also, very nice to see that my profession (Midnighter) also gave an extra option. Did other professions also get an extra storylet?

Well, Wines being a Judgement explains why there was a Judgements Egg among the Regnant Coin rewards.
By which I mean Wines probably made it itself.

edited by Deathjack999 on 2/3/2019