February's Exceptional Story: Cricket Anyone?

I really love this story structurally / mechanically so far but I am kind of lost on what to do next.
I am at the third inning. I’ve confronted the Deviless and the Summerset guy so far.
I did the research in the library that confronting the Deviless unlocks, and I did the bat research that confronting Summerset unlocks. I can’t do the thing in the belltower because I’m missing something, supposedly because I need to confront the Bentham guy next, but I don’t have the option to do so. I can’t play cricket any further either and I’ve checked every location several times. I have &quotreason to suspect the Benthic captain 3 and don’t see any way to raise it to 5. This is the first time I’ve ever gotten stuck like this in this game. What am I missing?
edited by Monara on 2/1/2019

So I am absolutely loving this story, but I just goofed and forgot to explore between the second and third innings before making another accusation. Did I miss anything essential?

As far as I’ve seen the only thing that changes between innings is the distracted cricketer’s room.
First noone is there and you can search the room a bit. Then she’s in there and you can ask her about several aspects of the investigation (only conversation). And finally she’s gone and the constables are in there. If you missed any of those stages there’s no way to get back to them. Everything else can be caught up later I think.

Last time I went, she was there, and by golly I just wanted to give her the biggest hug.

So I’ve seen a couple people mention a BiS weapon, but the Word that I got at the end of this story is, um, arguably a WiS choice. As I’m not QUITE at SotC 21, should I assume that there’s an upgrade/repair to that “item” available to people at that level?

Out of all the Masters, Mr Wines certainly gets the most character development. It’s not even a contest.

[spoiler]From his forced confession, we learn the full background regarding his life in the High Wilderness. His empire apparently spanned the cosmos and beings from across the universe came to him to beg favors. He was apparently trying to be the best ruler he could possibly be and tried to help everyone that came to him. Unfortunately, all the promises he made were were simply impossible to fulfill, so the broken promises caught up with him in a rather violent manner. He was cast down, from king to begger, and forced to turn to the Bazaar and its mission simply to survive.

Remember this most of all. In the Passion destiny, Mr Wines is the only one of the Masters to speak out when you accuse them all of not believing the Bazaar’s mission to obtain the sun’s love is possible. After so many cities, so long away from the heavens they love, and after seeing so much heartbreak, Mr Wines is still trying his damnedest to keep the promise he and his brethren made to the Bazaar. He so desperately wants to keep his word at long last after his last unkept words cost him everything. I wouldn’t really call any of the Masters outright evil, except for that bastard Veils, but I wouldn’t have called any of them actually good either. This exceptional story has earned Mr Wines a lot of sympathy from me, perhaps not quite enough to call him a good person, but still enough for me to say I personally don’t see Wines as a villain anymore.[/spoiler]
What do you guys think?

1 Like

So. I just finished this story, and I have to go to sleep, and I have to do homework anyway, and I have no time today to write something about all the thoughts buzzing in my brain. And yet.

I rarely have favorites. I love too many stories too dearly to choose. But this may be my favorite Exceptional Story ever.

That definitely Escalated Quickly.

I took the Courier’s Footprint option. During the confession, there is an additional option for those of us who hold the Sceptre of Mr. Wines. I have not taken it yet—in part, because I am out of actions. I am fearful of losing it. If there’s anyone else here who’s taken the opportunity, I would like to know if you lose it.

Even if you do, I don’t think I can stop myself. But I’d like to know what I’m getting myself into. I can tell that the lack of signposting is a choice so as to not interrupt the ambiance of the moment—the very clear signposting earlier in the story is enough to convince me that the author had this in mind. I respect the decision. But all the same, I’d like a little forewarning.

If nobody replies before my actions refresh, I might just go in blind. But if anyone who has already blazed this particular trail sees this, I would appreciate an answer.

Lazaroth:

[spoiler]I didn’t lose mine when I took the option.

[/spoiler]

Thank you.

Sweet Jiminy Christmas Cake, this story was fantastic! I pretty much loved every minute of it! Especially the ending!

Having now finished the story in its entirety, it seems to have dethroned HOJOTOHO as my favorite. And the Season of Hobbies as a whole has taken a similar position—I enjoyed the other stories greatly, even if others had valid criticisms of them. And Chandler Groover has made his name as one of my favorite writers.

Bravo.

When Caroline came to the bat neither she…nor I…knew what she was going to do. I spent over a half hour deciding. This story was just…wonderfully done. The steps of the investigation are well thought out, and we are given a lot of options (it looks like even just playing) and the whole story was just…awesome. Glorious. Excellent job on this one, it is truly one of the best.

Is…the card going to keep going? I could suffer worse than having a source of Secluded Addresses in my deck

Which weapon is the one you are describing? I have came away with a Cricket Bat and A WORD, BROKEN, neither of which I would describe as BiS…

I do not use the word ‘genius’ lightly, but there is no lesser word that I can in good conscience substitute…

This is a masterpiece in both content and form, executed with painstaking attention to detail of every quality description, QCD, QLD and QVD. You have brought the haughty Storynexus to its knees and made it sing.

Like everyone else on this thread, I want to heap my praise on this story! It was truly exceptional in pretty much every regard, and we certainly learned… some stuff! My interactions with Mr Wines are definitely going to be colored in a different light, and I’m definitely going to feel bad about the two… less than nice decisions I made in regards to it, this story.

That being said, do we know if there’s any use for the particular weapon you get from going through with the spies’ plan and keeping it to yourself?

Oh, and does anyone know what the Beggar’s Crown is from? I’ve heard it’s fate-locked, but I’d like to know which story exactly.

I finished earlier today and regardless of my feelings to the setup: The climax was worth it. The climax was virtually EVERYTHING I’ve ever hoped for from an Exceptional Story and from Fallen London as a whole, and it more than delivered. Most of all, it found an actual use for all that A Scholar of the Correspondence grinding and for that I am eternally grateful.

[quote=loredeluxe]I mostly agree with that assessment, and am eternally regretful I never got a chance to find that google doc that listed all the correct answers for the quiz. I’d be grateful if you could echo or copypaste that option for me; not sure if it’s just me but mantlepieces aren’t showing up for me for some reason.

Anyway, I remember the Masters’ crimes include &quotimpersonation, and the delivery of false testimony&quot as well as &quottruth-strangling&quot so I’m holding out an open mind for at least two others to be right bastards. Based on or in addition to that, Mr. Fires seems to be a fairly straightforward villain whose current management style seems completely opposed to Mr. WInes’. As for Mr. Wines himself, well, it does put a very interesting light on his patronage of Sinning Jenny (was he, perhaps, happier about the ascent of a mayor who was hands on about caring than he could let on in front of his colleagues-and more sympathetic about how ineffectual she felt at times?) and the nuns who hunt the Vake (remnants of the 2nd City who the Masters otherwise seem to have a low opinion of, as well as Eaten did he also feel enough sympathy despite how things turned out to find a loophole against a colleague he shares a low opinion of?). Not to mention his rivalry with Mr. Spices, whose high opinion of himself may explain why he chose to compete against the former king among the Masters.

[li]
It was from a Mr. Sacks option from last Neathmas. If you had already visited Mr. WInes once (either during this Neathmas or the previous one) there’s an option for &quotMr. Wines, again&quot in which you find Mr. Wines feeling rather sorry for himself. He then hands you the now defunct crown before toddling off again.

Thank you! That makes sense.