Favors in High Places

So, as a Midnighter, I get a bunch of these every week, and they’re starting to pile up. I’m wondering if there are more things that I don’t know of that I could use them for. Currently, I’m using them to better my Salon and at one of the other three-card lodgings whenever the cards come up, but I’m wondering if there is more I could do with them, other than sell them. [li]

I would highly advise against selling such things, as in the description reads &quotonly resource worth accumulating&quot. You can gather basic resources for cash, but I reserve higher tier items in case I need them later. It helped out when I was stockpiling &quotTears of the Bazaar&quot on my main character and it helped out with another of my characters when I was stockpiling &quotNight(s) on the Town&quot which was later used in the gambling den house for Making Wave Points.

I myself have violated this rule in my urge to increase my Echoes and have come to regret it to some extent.

If you are not interested in hoarding then a good middle position is to stockpile a set amount, for me that’s normally 5 of something, and sell the rest as you get them.

edited by Owen Wulf on 1/12/2014

[quote=Myke Harryson]So, as a Midnighter, I get a bunch of these every week, and they’re starting to pile up. I’m wondering if there are more things that I don’t know of that I could use them for. Currently, I’m using them to better my Salon and at one of the other three-card lodgings whenever the cards come up, but I’m wondering if there is more I could do with them, other than sell them.
[/quote]

They can be quite expensive to accumulate manually; we’d recommend keeping them.[li]

Favours are some of the goods that can be (somewhat) easily converted to, assuming you have enough influence items. I suggest you keep at least 1-2 and rather find a source of other influence items, so you can make more if need be.

And yes, I’m referring to item conversions in your inventory, not the bazaar sidestreets.
edited by Aximillio on 1/12/2014

There aren’t many things that need favors in high places, and what does usually doesn’t require more than a handful, since they are rather costly to construct. I believe the highest required quantity is for the majestic pleasure yacht, which can eat a lot if you lose your gamble for it more than once. They do have a few sinks though, as you can spend them to improve your salon, write better short stories and do things at one of the lodgings. If none of that interests you, I would advise holding on to a few at least, incase you need it for future content.

Seems to me there are two questions: How fast can you grind the items if you need them, and how often do you think you’ll need them?

My experience over the past year or so is that content gets added and the economy changes relatively slowly… most of the time. Which means if you don’t know what something is for, you probably won’t lose much by selling some of it down.

And then there are those other cases. An anecdote: The new five-card dwellings knocked me for a loop because I had spent down a necessary object (Tears) just before they made it more scarce and made it a critical component in one of the dwellings. I’m still kicking myself about that. But! In the Christmas season, Lacre gave me a way out, if only I could obtain it in sufficient quantities. Which I didn’t have. Ahhhhh, but I did have a lot of Wild Words, and especially a lot of Aeolian Screams from a previous profession-- they weren’t really worth enough to tempt me to sell them, and I had most of what I needed to bulk convert and buy my Lacre. Tomorrow, I can actually run Penstock out of the market.

So, I’m a bit of a convert to having things around in quantity. You never know when you’re going to need them, and you can always grind out echoes fairly quickly.