Fare thee well befanged hat

Just went to log into Fall London through the browser and was greeted not by the befanged hat of old, but the burning eyes of a deviless. I’ll admit the new login background looks more modern and the Exceptional Hat doesn’t feature as prominently in the game as one might think from it’s prevalent imagery, but a part of me will always miss it. You can find humanoid people with red eyes all over the place. But you don’t often see hats that threaten to consume their wearer.

I’m not too keen to dig this out right now (&quotSearch&quot hrrrmmpphhh grrrhhhrrhhrrrhrrrmmm function… right), but there was some addition to the url setting that picture quite some time ago.

If someone remembers (or actually even uses) this feature, they might be so kind as to remind me, you and probably others as to the syntax? It’s always nice to have choices.

I think she looks weird… the head/body proportion seems off to my eyes. Anyway, I’m glad the old landing pages still work!

:edit: Reshemin, I think that’s what you were talking about, too? I’ve bookmarked the Captivating Princess login page for ages now… still sends you back to the regular page when logging out though.

further edit: the Exceptional Hat login page can now be found here: StoryNexus : World not Found
edited by phryne on 10/27/2016

Yep, that’s what I was thinking about - thanks!

Goodbye sweet Hat… You may be gone but you will always remain in my heart.

It looks very odd to me because I typically use my browser with the windows only taking up part of the screen, so every time I open the landing page now I see… a single burning eye. Apparently this specimen is the famed Offscreen Deviless.

Same, I only see a small portion of the offscreen deviless.

Same here – just a hint of hair and shoulder, and no option to adjust the screen and see more. I actually wondered whether it was the character from the ES story and if so, whether the sign-in page would be changing monthly.
Shame about the hat.

I too will miss the hat.

…And possibly in your inventory.

@Phryne: the old Landing Pages don’t work for me, nor does the link to the Hat you provide.
I only get part of the Deviless, too.

– Mal

The Hat Knows What It Did.

[quote=malthaussen]@Phryne: the old Landing Pages don’t work for me, nor does the link to the Hat you provide.[/quote]They all work perfectly for me in Firefox.

Of course, you need to be logged out when trying them…
edited by phryne on 10/28/2016

Safari has no issues rendering it, but looking through the source code I can see a few CSS syntax errors to do with gradients. That’s probably the culprit.

Imagine if they animated her and make bees come out from her ears! (On the other hand that might scare off people)

On the other hand that doesn’t really happen for normal devils who are as well-off as she is, does it? It usually happens for the ones who’ve had a few intimate dates with a knife.

EDIT: On rereading, I’d like to appologize to a certain serial killer. He knows who he is. I meant normal, non-sentient, knives. I’m sure that he doesn’t participate in domestic abuse, and that if he fell in love with a devil there would be only consensual stabbings involved.

The dates were a metaphor (for being stabbed), but I still would like to clarify that it was not an insult to you, sir.
edited by Grenem on 10/28/2016

@Phryne: That would account for it, then. Works fine in Firefox when logged out.

– Msl

[quote=Optimatum]It looks very odd to me because I typically use my browser with the windows only taking up part of the screen, so every time I open the landing page now I see… a single burning eye. Apparently this specimen is the famed Offscreen Deviless.[/quote]At least you can see an eye. I get a glimpse of neck and a bit of hair.

I’m seeing the same thing depending on where I am and how big the browser is. This is an easy thing to miss when you’re doing web development (which I have done extremely minimally, thank goodness). My browsers are usually on the narrower side and I’ve worked with a number of people who seem to have them maximized at all times. So they build something and it looks fine to them and then I get their code and run it and there’s a bunch of stuff cut off or shifted or turned into a crazy, squished mess.

We didn’t see this with the hat because it was a smaller image and it’s center of focus was much closer to the text. I think the primary issue with the deviless is that the center focus is much further to the left than the hat was. Graphics and user interfaces are not my strong points so I’m not sure what the best solution for a fix is. Just shifting or shrinking the image doesn’t really work because you need to keep the area behind the text fairly neutral to keep it readable and it would be hard to do these things without encroaching on that area with busy textures like the city or the hair. The problem is that the deviless’ face is the center and the way she’s turned there’s a lot of busy stuff to the right which limits what you can do. Flipping her around is an option but then she goes from looking towards the login box to looking off the page to the left which is less than ideal. My instinct would be to swap her out for another character looking more forward or possibly down at the city.

Offscreen Deviless

Item Type: Companion
Stats: Watchful - 2; Shadowy + 8; Bizarre + 1
Flavour Text: Is someone there?