Famous writers in Fallen London

Well, I am looking for famous writers and playwrights in London. I know Huffam… the guy from the Gazette is Charles Dickens. But what about other famous Victorians? Oscar Wilde for example? I know Doyle won’t exist, since Holmes is partially the Inplacable Detective, partially the Honey Addled one. Agatha Christie was from the 1920s, so she won’t appear. So won’t Hercules Poirot and Miss Marple. Are there other famous RL authors in FL expect Huffam/Dickens?[li]

I think Oscar Wilde was mentioned in association with Mr. Pages, as the The Epigrammatic Irishman.
edited by suinicide on 4/23/2016

There’s a rare opportunity card mentioning Jack Vance, which may not count for the purposes of this thread.

It’s too early for Bram Stoker to have released his most famous book (and it only became huge after his death and the subsequent movie adaptation (no, really)), but he was respected in the theater world, so I suppose that we will find him fangirling after Sir Irving somewhere.

It would be funny, development team. Just sayin’.

The generic calling-card image is that of C. Auguste Dupin, so either Poe’s great detective is floating around the Neath somewhere, or someone’s using a Poe ref as a pseudonym. The honey-addled 'tec is almost certainly Holmes - artefacts from one or two of his cases appear around the city as well - though that doesn’t mean we don’t have a Conan Doyle around somewhere who previously worked as his friend Watson’s literary agent.

The plans of the Pianolist’s zub include a quote from Lewis Carroll - Through the Looking-Glass, to be precise. Now, that’s a book that postdates the Fall, so either it was written on the Surface and imported, or Carroll is floating around down here somewhere too. Perhaps a member of the Set?

Finally, they’re painters rather than writers, but we know what came of Richard Dadd and William Holman Hunt… poor devils.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]The generic calling-card image is that of C. Auguste Dupin, so either Poe’s great detective is floating around the Neath somewhere, or someone’s using a Poe ref as a pseudonym. The honey-addled 'tec is almost certainly Holmes - artefacts from one or two of his cases appear around the city as well - though that doesn’t mean we don’t have a Conan Doyle around somewhere who previously worked as his friend Watson’s literary agent.

The plans of the Pianolist’s zub include a quote from Lewis Carroll - Through the Looking-Glass, to be precise. Now, that’s a book that postdates the Fall, so either it was written on the Surface and imported, or Carroll is floating around down here somewhere too. Perhaps a member of the Set?

Finally, they’re painters rather than writers, but we know what came of Richard Dadd and William Holman Hunt… poor devils.[/quote]
This may be false, and it was a long time since I read it, but isn’t the eater of chains? A very early dangerous story with a dog, a bit like the hound of the Baskervilles? I wait for Irene Adler, Moriarty and Watson.[li]
The most obvious writer in FL expect Huffam is obviously Dr. Sigmund Freud… if he counts as a writer… hell, this could extend to RL non-royals in FL some time…

On Corpsecage Island, you can find a buried text, sealed by the Ministry of Public Decency:

So it seems that Karl Marx (or at least his writings) made it to the Neath.

edited by dov on 4/24/2016

When I first arrived, I thought the Jovial Contrarian was G.K. Chesterton, but I’m no longer convinced of that theory.

He might not be Chesterton, but he’s immersed in the Chestertonian side of Fallen London up to his hat.

Fans of T.S. Eliot will encounter him frequently, or rather, echoes of his poetry.

I did see some of Alexander Pope. Wonder if John Bunyan appears at all.

Hmmmm.

I’ve just finished an encounter with my benefactor the Red-robed Monk (“from the northern part of the subcontinent”) with a soft spot for shadowy types, and a young disciple who has a love of luxury and a very strong taste for the Great Game.

Surely someone before me must have been reminded of a certain young Anglo-Irish boy growing up in the subcontinent who enthusiastically entered into the Great Game, despite the good wishes of his Tibetan Buddhist patron.

Would that errant disciple’s name by any chance be Kim?