Fallen London Timeline.

Does anyone have a rough timeline of London’s subsequent rise and fall? I’m trying to write something and I want to get all the dates right.

Just read the newspapers. London was apparently sunk back in 1862.

Also:
In addition, it should be noteworthy that the cheapest wine vintage is a Greyfields 1882, so obviously we are past that point.

The description for it is: One of the better years. Tangy, with an agaric after taste.

So that may imply that it’s not exactly the next year after.

edited by Owen Wulf on 9/17/2012

Your journal posts with today’s month, day, and, currently the year 1890. It’s amazing how quickly you can get used to the dark.

Yep, '62 was the Fall, and '90 is present day. One of the few other solid dates we have for Fallen London’s past is the war of '68.

Also, the game timeline progresses with the real one. 2011 was 1889, 2012 is 1890, and unless something cataclismic happens before New Year’s Day, 2013 should be 1891, I think.

I feel I must be pedantic and make a small correction that the Greyfields 1882 is the most recent vintage, not the cheapest. That would be the Greyfields 1879. Presumably the vintners were still adapting their art to the new ‘grape’ of the 'neath, and the 1868 First Sporing is thus mostly valued because it was the First Sporing.

Has anyone noticed that London was stolen on Valentine’s day? It seems fitting, considering…

Indeed I did notice the date.

But wasn’t that before Hallmark decided to hijack St. Valentine’s birthday and associated it with roses, chocolate and candy hearts?

Or the entire game could be a satire of corporate monetizing of holidays, with London representing February 14th, and The Masters personifying ‘certain’ corporations.

But if so, where do the RBs fit in?

The idea of a Valentine’s Day card or receiving a “valentine” from an admirer far predates the Hallmark company or the Victorian era itself. The practice began in earnest with the 1840’s with the penny post, making posting letter far more affordable. In the mid Victorian era valentines were often made with lace paper, though that passed out of fashion by the mid-1870’s and the more common letter Valentine was sent though the post. Red hearts, cupids, flowers, angels, swains, and nymphs were often used in these homemade baubles, though they could be bought at commercial shops in London; more so as urbanization grew.
Occasionally bank notes or cheques were made out “The Bank of Love” or valentines were made to resemble pound notes. Telegrams were sent from “Loveland” and some of the more eruidite sent mechanical valentines with working parts.
It was also not uncommon to receive an insulting telegram from a scorned admirer, dandy or to an unwanted suitor(hence the Gift of Scorn.) Being English, these were usually sent anonymously.