Fallen London RPG?

I’m glad someone brought this topic up, since I now have an excuse to talk about my pet project! I’ve been trying my hand at creating a fan-made tabletop RPG. I’ve decided to use the Apocalypse World system since it relies on a small number of player stats, but haven’t progressed much further than that. You can check it out on my blog, Sam I Am’s Ramblings. I’ve posted about it twice: http://samiamsramblings.blogspot.com/2017/01/fallen-london-tabletop-rpg-sorry-its.html and here http://samiamsramblings.blogspot.com/2017/04/fl-rpg-update.html

Sorry about the shameless self-promotion, but I have been looking for feedback and haven’t gotten much since my blog is so small. I’d appreciate any help you can provide! Hopefully we can make something we can all enjoy together. :)

EDIT: Having read all of your wonderful comments, I realize now that I haven’t checked out the Fate system. I’ll have to do that soon. Thanks for the extra inspiration, you guys!
edited by Sam Stephens on 4/11/2017

I would still say that Blades in the Dark, which is inspired by the Powered by the Apocalypse genre but isn’t one of those games itself, takes you a lot closer to where you probably want to go for a Fallen London game.

Get rid of the ghosts and electroplasm with Parabola and Correspondence and you’re very close.

[Edit: I see you’ve noticed Blades yourself from your blog posts. As a Blades GM, I definitely think it’s pretty close to perfect for the setting and the feel of the game. Just the idea of working as a party/crew is fairly different from Fallen London, but having companions or even, dare I say, a gang of hoodlums fits well enough.]
edited by Tyrconnell on 4/17/2017

Damn it, every time I look at this thread I end up blowing another twenty bucks at DriveThruRPG! I’m going to see if I can get my players to try out Blades in the Dark next weekend.

Looks like someone on Reddit’s is following a similar line as we are. https://www.reddit.com/r/FATErpg/comments/6f4gqk/sunless_fate_character_sheets_for_a_fate/

Well, this setting for Fate Core called ‘PRISM’ just came out.(Prism • A World of Adventure for Fate Core - Evil Hat Productions, LLC | Fate Worlds (Slim) | DriveThruRPG.com) It’s a game about lucid dreamers entering the Collective Unconscious and parallel universes to acquire impossible colors that can infuse raw emotion into their artwork and create portals into said dreams and parallels. Change some terms and this sounds like a rejected premise for an Exceptional Story, doesn’t it?

Hello all! Sorry it’s been so long without an update from me. I’ve been continuing work on my project on and off of my blog. As we discussed earlier, version 0.2 was similar to Blades in the Dark and Apocalypse World, with a small number of playable classes with a few moves apiece. But over the past week, I’ve been researching a fantasy RPG called Zweihänder, which uses a large number of classes (over a hundred) each with one unique move, plus a few extra moves that are shared between classes. It’s also got systems for psychological as well as physical damage, and uses d100, which is pretty similar to Fallen London’s stat system, don’t you think? I’m thinking of using Zweihänder as my muse, at least until I get a playable prototype. It’ll require some work to convert from &quotgrim and perilous&quot to &quotdeep, dark, and marvelous,&quot but I feel more confident in adapting Zweihänder than I do with Blades in the Dark. What do you guys think?

You want a Fallen London RPG tabletop game?

Okay. Here’s how you do it:

1. Get some Call of Cthulhu character sheets together, or some other game with similarly-extensive character sheets. I’m not talking Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition sheets, no. You need some hardcore ones for this.

2. Inevitably ask people on this forum to write up the plotline and Game Master Guide to said plotline… since these people are probably Failbetter writers in disguise.

3. All your efforts will be wasted if you can’t find some real-life people to sit down with and play. sideways glance at my crate of various board games I purchased in my early youth

=
edited by Tystefy on 2/10/2018

I’ll take that as a compliment, but I’m just a fan, haha. ;) I would, however, love to write a session based on the Constable’s Pet/Infernal Informant storyline. But I’d better finish making the game itself first! And thankfully, I have a group of friends who are willing to experiment with new games. It’s actually because of a friend’s dare that I got into this project.

I’m curious what you mean by &quotextensive&quot character sheets. What’s the Call of Cthulhu game like? I’ve never played it. I’m always looking for inspiration for my own game.
edited by Sam Stephens on 2/11/2018