Fallen London Nuts & Bolts: Frequency

A few days ago I came across this question and thought it might be interesting for some to shed a bit more light on this. The answer is actually quite complex and I want to break it down into the following bits:

• Deck composition
  • Frequencies and probabilities
  • Expected wait times

Deck composition
Establishing the exact composition of your deck is easy in theory but quite laborious in practice. It’s easy because “all” you have to do, is establish which qualities you have and then compile a list of cards that match your qualities. But the sheer number of qualities and cards in the game make it very time consuming without some sort of automation. The best I could do is use my own deck as a semi-typical example. I’ll include the list in the spoiler and you can use it as a sort of a template. Beware, though - it takes a long time!

The first list is all the cards that I either can’t remove or require a lot of fate to remove or are very useful cards that you could in principle remove but the resources required to get them back later would render any savings moot.

• Cards that virtually all sufficiently advanced players will have
    40 Standard
    A day at the races
    An unusual wager
    Give a Gift! A commotion in the Square of Lofty Words
    A Sporting Sort
    Mr Wines is holding a sale!
    Wanted: Reminders of Brighter Days
    Investigating the Affluent Photographer
    All fear the Overgoat!
    Reeducating Lyme
    The Phantom of the Antimacassar
    Revisit the Theosophisticals
    The Geology of Winewound
    Investigate Doctor Schlomo
    Visit
    The mechanics of progress
    One’s public
    The Northbound Parliamentarian
    Back to the Palace cellars
    Weather at last
    The Awful Temptation of Money
    A past benefactor
    A Polite Invitation
    Riding your Velocipede
    The Soft-Hearted Widow
    4 Mysteries of the Neath cards (Devices and desires etc)
    12 Faction cards
    1 Infrequent
    A visit from Slowcake’s Amanuensis
    7 Very Infrequent
    An unsigned message
    A merry sort of crime
    A Presumptuous Little Opportunity
    4 Relicker cards
    4 Unusual
    Below the Neath
    The Paronomastic Newshound
    A dream about a window at night (assumed Unusual)
    A dream about the mist (assumed Unusual)
    4 Rare
    A disgraceful spectacle
    A voice from a well
    2 Moods cards
  • Optional POSI Gear cards
    9 Standard
    More Larks with the Young Stags
    Out and About on your Ratwork Velocipede
    Once Upon a Time in a Carriage
    A day out in your Clay Sedan Chair
    A library of your own
    Your Edifice of Black Stone
    A Day with God’s Editors
    The Life of Crime
    A Night with your Glabrous Companion
    1 Very Infrequent
    Swap Incendiary Gossip
  • Lodging cards
    8 Standard
    The Listing Tower: Intrigue in a Half-Abandoned Mansion
    The Sleepless Tower: Disturbances at a Cottage by the Observatory
    The Heron Tower: Events at a Lair in the Marshes
    The Tower of Sleeping Giants: The Secrets of the Rooms above a Bookshop
    The Tower of Sparrows: Vice and Virtue in a Gambling Den
    The High Castle: What Occurs in a Rooftop Shack
    The Windward Tower: the Matter of the Decommissioned Steamer
    The Tower of Knives: Difficulties at a Smoky Flophouse
    4 Frequent
    The Tower of Eyes: Behind Closed Doors at a Handsome Townhouse
    The Western Tower: a Guest Room at the Brass Embassy
    The Tower of Sun and Moon: a Reservation at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel
    The Lofty Tower: the Potential of Premises at the Bazaar
  • Story “bookend” cards
    6 Standard
    I’ve brought something for you to try, dear (Aunt)
    Rat Melancholy
    Restoring souls
    The Mayor of London
    A Tale of the Generous Princess
    Invited to another revel of the Masters

The second list includes cards that I can remove from my deck relatively easily

• Menace cards (under 6)
    4 Standard
    An afternoon of good deeds?
    The Law’s Long Arm
    The vigilant gentlemen in blue
    A Restorative
    1 Ubiquitous
    A merry gentleman
    1 Very Infrequent
    A Moment’s Peace
    1 Unusual
    The Interpreter of Dreams
  • City Vices
    5 Standard
    City Vices: a Rather Decadent Evening
    City Vices: an Entanglement with an Old Friend
    City Vices: ask the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer to help you
    City Vices: help the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer
    City Vices: Orthographic Infection
    1 Unusual
    City Vices: a tournament of weasels!
  • Other removable cards
    4 Standard
    Connected pet
    An Implausible Penance
    A consideration for services rendered
    A parliament of bats
    1 Infrequent
    A libraryette for Mr Pages
    1 Unusual
    Pass the Cat: a wriggling delivery

Finally, there are the 12 Conflict cards. 5 are Standard and 7 are Very Infrequent, although once the conversions are complete it’s likely all will be Very Infrequent. I typically have 1 Standard and 2 VI conflict cards “live” in my deck.

Frequencies and probabilities

Each card in Fallen London has a “Frequency”. Each Frequency is associated with a certain number of copies of a unique card that is added to the deck. For example, in my deck above, each Standard card will actually have 100 copies, while each Rare card will have 10 copies. The details for each frequency can be found here.

Since the overall composition of the deck changes constantly, the actual probability of drawing a given card fluctuates even though its nominal Frequency stays constant. It is time consuming but nevertheless possible to calculate the actual probabilities provided you have the exact deck composition. Again, in a general case it’s hard without automation but I will use my deck above and walk through some examples.

Example 1 will be the deck consisting of all the “guaranteed” cards (the first list in the spoiler above). This is the most trimmed version of my deck. It is only achievable with a Remote Address and so implies a hand size of 3. Example 2 will be the same deck but with non-Menace City Vice cards added in. I will assume that I am now free to have a had size of 5. Example 3 will be the same as Example 2 but now also all the cards from the second list as well as 3 conflict cards (1 standard and 2 very infrequent).

Step 1 - establish complete breakdown of unique cards in the deck by frequency.

Note that the hand size affects the deck composition as you can park some cards (which I’ll assume are Standard) in your hand. So simply adding up all the relevant categories in the list above, I obtain the following breakdown for Example 1:

Rare - 4 unique cards
Unusual - 4 unique cards
Very Infrequent - 8 unique cards
Infrequent - 1 unique cards
Standard - 63 - 4 = 59 unique cards (4 cards in hand)
Frequent - 4 unique cards

Step 2 - multiple unique counts by the relevant frequency and add these all up to give the total number of cards in the deck.

For Example 1 we have:

Rare - 410=40
Unusual - 4
20=80
Very Infrequent - 850=400
Infrequent - 1
80=80
Standard - 59100=5900
Frequent - 4
200=800
Total: 7300 cards in the deck

On the other hand, Example 2 will have 7920 cards, while Example 3 will have 10190 cards.

Step 3 - calculate the probabilities (in percentage terms). To do this multiple the Frequency by 100 and divide by the total number of cards.

So in Example 1, the chance of drawing a particular Standard card is 100100/7300=1.37%, while the chance of drawing a Rare card is correspondingly 0.137%. If we now add the City Vice cards (Example 2) then the chance of drawing a Standard card goes down to 100100/7920=1.26% and the chance of a Rare card goes down to 0.126%. Finally if we expand our deck even more by adding menaces, conflicts etc (Example 3), Standard rate goes down to 100*100/10190=0.98% and Rare rate goes down to 0.098%.

Expected wait times

The examples above should show that the deck composition can change the probabilities significantly. However, the human brain isn’t very good at reading probabilities and a different metric might be more helpful.

The reason we care about card probabilities is because we want to know when we are going to draw a particular card we are waiting for. So a useful metric is “Expected wait time”, i.e. how many draws on average do we have to make before the card we are waiting for comes up. Once we have the probabilities, this is really easy to calculate - simply divide 100 by that probability.

So in Example 1, the expected wait time for a standard card is 100/1.37=73. So you’d expect to have to draw 73 cards before the card you are waiting for comes up. In other words, for a dedicated player who spends all of their actions, they should expect to draw such a card twice a day. The expected wait time for a Rare card is 730. So a Rare card should appear once in 5 days (in this maximally trimmed version of the deck).

By contract, in Example 3, the expected wait times for Standard and Rare cards are 102 and 1020. You’d draw a standard card once or so each day but the Rare card would take as much as a full week. So you lose 2 days, on average, when fishing for a Rare card without trimming your deck.

Now, you may say that once a week for a rare card in a bloated deck is overly optimistic. There are three things to bear in mind:

1. A deck may be even more bloated than mine in Example 3
  2. The expected wait time is just an average. When dealing with randomness you also have to deal with the concept of “variance”. I won’t get into this here but suffice to say that if a Rare draw has probability 0.098 and expected wait time of 1020 then you should not be surprised if you actually have to wait as much as 1020*(1+2*sqrt(100-0.098)/10)=3059 or in other words 3 weeks.
  3. Even unexpected results can happen. If you find yourself waiting for 2 months for a rare card that’s not, statistically speaking, all that implausible. Some other time you may find yourself drawing 3 Moods in a single day!

Hopefully some of you would find this interesting or insightful.

ETA: corrected calculation
edited by genesis on 12/18/2016

Thank you. Fascinating.

This is exactly what I was looking for a couple of days ago. Thank you!

I’ve been thinking of how to make this more automated/tractable but it’s a difficulty problem due to the FBG restrictions on automation.

The best I can think of is an external app. The calculations would be trivial to program. The hard part is deck composition. You would need an external copy of all the card names and quality unlocks. And then you’d need a reduced “player profile” UI where you can switch your qualities around: “What if my Wounds increase”, “What if I move to a remote address”, “What if I move to Lodgings”, that card of thing.

[quote=genesis]Thanks :)

I’ve been thinking of how to make this more automated/tractable but it’s a difficulty problem due to the FBG restrictions on automation.

The best I can think of is an external app. The calculations would be trivial to program. The hard part is deck composition. You would need an external copy of all the card names and quality unlocks. And then you’d need a reduced &quotplayer profile&quot UI where you can switch your qualities around: &quotWhat if my Wounds increase&quot, &quotWhat if I move to a remote address&quot, &quotWhat if I move to Lodgings&quot, that card of thing.[/quote]
I don’t think FBG would be against such a feature as it only offers more information and nothing more. The problem is with Fate locked cards.
Even with the current system is not difficult at all to make an extension with this matter, but you’ll need to copy+paste every card and requirements (by categories, ofc) in a json, parse it at loading, pull requests for all requirements, display the information and use Mutation Observer to scan for changes and item equip for each category.
Let’s say you got Nightmares 1 at load, equip bonnet (run script for every Nightmare card), gain Nightmares 3, run script again. With the last run some card will be added to your deck.

EDIT: Check wiki and I see it has 1036 recorded cards; hahahaha! :D Challenge not yet accepted!
edited by Skinnyman on 12/14/2016

Great information !

So now i know i will have to wait around 3 weeks before this wretched mood card come back .

[quote=Richard Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart]So now i know i will have to wait around 3 weeks before this wretched mood card come back .[/quote] As noted, there’s a huge variance. It’s not unheard of to have to wait many months (even more than a year) before encountering a Mood card again.

I wouldn’t imagine that’s a huge deal-breaker given that all that’s needed is card names and unlocks. This was discussed here. (Another project I really need to get back to at some point.)

[quote]Even with the current system is not difficult at all to make an extension with this matter, but you’ll need to copy+paste every card and requirements (by categories, ofc) in a json, parse it at loading, pull requests for all requirements, display the information and use Mutation Observer to scan for changes and item equip for each category.
[/quote]
Yes, that’s what I meant by automation - not doing that but relying on the game engine. It would make life a lot easier but that’s a big no-no for FBG.

Absolutely. And the rarer the card the higher the variance.

The 3-week estimate I mentioned above is a &quot2 standard deviations&quot spread. That’s a useful rule of thumb but it’s not bullet proof. It still gives 25% chance of being outside this spread.

You can improve your certainty by increasing the range over which you are prepared to wait. So &quot10 standard deviations&quot will give you almost 99% certainty of waiting within the range but at the expense of increasing the range to 1020*(1+10*sqrt(100-0.098)/10)=2.5 months.

You can never get to 100%, though. If you set yourself on waiting for 2.5 months then there is still 1% chance you’d be disappointed. 1% is about the frequency of an Eyeless Skull from the expedition and obviously that’s not an unheard of occurrence.

P.S. another factor I mentioned but didn’t focus too much on is that the day/month estimates assume a day of 144 actions but that’s only possible if you are an exceptionally committed and organised Exceptional Friend.
edited by genesis on 12/18/2016

There is no requirement on Mayor of London! So everyone will have it like a standard card xDD

Sure. I grouped the cards in a way that I personally found helpful. The reason I categorised the Mayor separately is that it’s a seasonal card and who knows whether it will be in the deck next year. But for all practical purposes, the internal subdivisions of the list are mathematically irrelevant and are there to make a very long list of cards easier to parse. Feel free to group them otherwise, of course!