Fallen London Community Extensions

Feb 24: I am reviewing this list as a significant number of the extensions are defunct or have become unnecessary, excuse the dust.

These are fan-made extensions for Fallen London. Our current position on extensions:

• These extensions are third party and shown as-is. There is no official support for them, your mileage may vary and you use them at your own risk.

• If you encounter problems with them (or any aspect of the game while you have them enabled) please remove the extension(s) and try again before contacting support.

• Updates to the game may break these extensions, and the responsibility for updating the extensions falls to the individual who created them.

*We will not add these functions to the game. They are optional extras, so don’t ask. :)

We reserve the right to remove this post or change our position on this at any time.

All that being said, here is a list of the browser extensions we have whitelisted for Fallen London!

Goat Farmer’s Browser Extension
Function: Assists you in tracking your progress towards Overgoat ownership.
Directions: See full thread for directions
Made by: An Individual
Added on 13th November 2014

Display Storylet Prerequisite
Function: Allows one to see the pre-reqs for a storylet without a mouse-over.
Made by: Kaanyia
Added on: 8th December 2014

Chandlery
Function: Shows number of cards and actions available in the title of an open Fallen London tab
Made by: Alistair Cray
Added on: 5th May, 2015

AdvTimers
Function: Shows the time remaining until your actions and deck are completely refilled
Made by: Nemo Nekoi
Added on: 7th August, 2015

Gadzooks!
Function: A variety of UI tweaks and style adjustments for the Desktop site as well as a Mobile app skin
Made by: Cac0nym
Added on: 10th August, 2015

Opportunity Protector
Function: a user style to prevent accidental discarding of important Opportunity Cards.
Directions: See full thread
Made by: Gazzien
Added on: 9th Feb, 2016

Opportunity Protector
Function: A single extension to prevent a number of common misclicks on important opportunities.
Directions: See full thread for instructions[/font]
Made by: fallingkitten
Added on: 22nd March 2016[/font]

Playing Favourites
Function: Playing Favourites: an extension that allows you to mark certain branches as favourites, which highlights them and floats them to the top.
Directions: See full thread for instructions
Made by: Alistair Cray
Added on: 22nd March 2016

Conversion Helper
Function: This extension lets you see the convertible items in your inventory, organised by tier and sorted in order of the Tier 3 side-conversion chain.
Directions: See full thread for instructions.
Made by: Gallmarch
Added on: 6th April 2017

Social Notifications
Function: This extension periodically checks the ‘Messages’ tab for unread invitations to participate in social actions, and adds an unobtrusive notification to the tab if there are new invitations.
Made by: Gallmarch
Added on: 16th June 2017

Winking Isle Contraband Indicator
Function: This extension highlights which items on the Bazaar tab Seekers must not possess in order to continue their progress.
Made by: Vexpont
Added on: 9th February 2018

Assorted Cats
Function: An extension for proudly displaying your cats upon the &quotPossessions&quot tab.
Directions: See full thread for directions.
Made by: Alasterin
Added on: 23rd August 2021

Mystery Sorter
Function: For those of us who discovered all the right mysteries in all the wrong order.
Added on: 1 June 2022

Time Keeper
Function:
Added on: 1 June 2022

Submitting an extension for whitelisting

To be whitelisted, an extension needs to be:

• Atomic: The extension does one thing, or a well-defined set of closely-related things.
  • Functional: It does the one thing well.
  • Well-documented: It’s clear about what exactly it does.
  • Feature-complete. The extension is basically done, and future releases will be bug fixes or updates to track changes to the game.

These requirements make it reasonable for us to maintain the whitelist itself, evaluate new extensions, and make it less likely that players will contact us regarding bugs which are caused by a feature of an extension (this does happen, and can cause quite a bit of lost time). Again, we’re a small team, and we want to focus our time on making the actual game.

We’ll also reject extensions for various reasons:

• Technical issues, bugs, or poor interactions with game features – including upcoming game features that you might not know about
  • Inserting content into the game, or altering existing content (including game text, metatext, ads, sidebars, and so on)
  • Displaying messages or text to the user that aren’t clearly marked as coming from the extension
  • Behaviour that we think is likely to create support requests for us; for example, changing the UI in a potentially confusing way

In truth, this is determined on a case-by-case basis. The whitelist answers the question of whether we’re comfortable with players using something and are willing to give it explicit approval.

To submit an extension for adding to this list, please create a thread for it including all necessary information (including a clear and to-the-point single line description of its function), marked ‘pending approval,’ and then email the link to enquiries@failbettergames.com.

[color=#0066ff]Forums Extensions/Code[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Make Best Answer Readable[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Function: when a post is marked as the ‘best answer,’ changes the appearance of the post to make it more readable[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Directions: See full thread for directions[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Made by: Suitov[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Added on 21 April 2015[/color]

Public service post: if you have any of these (or other) FL extensions installed, your first move should probably be to disable them as soon as strange things start happening while using the new site.

I suspect none of the extensions will even try to run on the new site. As I understand it, extensions activate based on domain name, so the change from storynexus.com to fallenlondon.com should mean they don’t recognize the new site at all.

A big warning to anyone using Stylish as a method of delivery of their Fallen London extension.
The extension is no longer considered safe. (Sends all your browsing data to extension owner’s server) Use extension Stylus instead.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/07/stylish-extension-with-2m-downloads-banished-for-tracking-every-site-visit/
edited by Zarremgregarrok on 7/28/2018

The huge UI overhaul landed!

@Optimatum as expected you were right, all extensions stopped, since domain name changed.

@h4nchan Will there be a new thread for extensions for the new UI layout and URL, or will you reuse this one?

[quote=Zarremgregarrok]A big warning to anyone using Stylish as a method of delivery of their Fallen London extension.
The extension is no longer considered safe. (Sends all your browsing data to extension owner’s server) Use extension Stylus instead.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/07/stylish-extension-with-2m-downloads-banished-for-tracking-every-site-visit/
edited by Zarremgregarrok on 7/28/2018[/quote]
Aided by an anonymous benefactor (OK, it was Tuxi) who redid all the item IDs for me, the overhauled Winking Isle Indicator 2018 is now up on Stylish, and as far as I can tell, it works (note that I have not got a full inventory of the most esoteric items in the game to check).

The Winking Isle Indicator thread does encourage the use of it with Stylus, not Stylish, but perhaps I should hint more strongly that there is no downside to Stylus AFAIK, whereas there is plenty to Stylish.

[quote=Vexpont]
The Winking Isle Indicator thread does encourage the use of it with Stylus, not Stylish, but perhaps I should hint more strongly that there is no downside to Stylus AFAIK, whereas there is plenty to Stylish.[/quote]
I would not worry too much. Stylish was removed from Google Play Store, so it is impossible to download it.

For what it’s worth:

I’ve written a option/opportunity protector style for the FL redesign. It basically combines Gazzien’s and fallingkitten’s old styles + a few more options (e.g. accidentally ditching acquaintances or overcapping as a PP). The style has been officially whitelisted by Failbetter.
I know that a number of other players have also written similar styles, but none are listed here. So I thought I’d post a link.

The style can be found here: Fallen London Opportunity Protector | Userstyles.org

Instructions can be found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fallenlondon/comments/9kr8zy/css_theme_opportunity_protector/

(I’m recommending using Stylus over Stylish because of the tracking issues with the later.)

I’ve updated the style a couple of times over the past weeks due to changes to the FL code. Let me know if anything isn’t working correctly and I’ll take a look.