Eyeless Skull, and the Cave of Nadir in general

Seeking Curios (wandering and seeing the sights) was definitely fastest for me too.

I now find myself in the situation of having opened the Nadir but having acquired another skull. I wonder if it would be best sold off or if there will be future needs for them? I’m not sure I want it sucking my brain whilst I wait for another use for them to appear.[li]
edited by Elnara on 7/19/2013

Sell it. There are more where that came from. Why punish yourself?

Unless you’ve sold all your ray-drenched cinders there’s not much point in keeping them. But if you want to see if there’s a rare success when converting them, don’t forget to tell us =)

So I’m about to take another promenade in my favorite sub-subterranean locale, but I don’t know what equipment I should bring along with me. Does anyone have a list of upgradeable items? Last time I just got a pair of goggles.

Devious Henchman was one I found.

A possibly complete list:Luminous Neathglass Goggles, Parabola-Linen Clothing, Warm Amber, Hushed Spidersilk Slippers, and the Devious Henchman. Take some Journals of Infamy, too.

Oooh, I forgot about the last one, I managed that as well. Oh, and…

[li]
EDIT: What the aces? My spoiler won’t work!
edited by Playersideblog on 7/19/2013

Only one spoiler tag per post.

[quote=Playersideblog][li]EDIT: What the aces? My spoiler won’t work!
edited by Playersideblog on 7/19/2013[/quote]

[/li][li]

The only item you can receive there that is better than anything you can purchase at the Bazaar is the one you get from the Spidersilk slippers, right? So beyond completionist collecting and story snippets, there’s not too much reason to keep going back into the cave and hurting yourself, is there?

Edit: forgot the spoiler tags
edited by Augustus Heinreich on 7/20/2013

You can get Tears of the Bazaar in there; As many as 5, if you’re lucky. They’re worth a fair chunk! You can guarantee at least one if you hop in and out of the cave at 0 Irrigo.
I think it’d be nice if the gear gave Irrigo -1 so you could stick around in the Cave a bit longer using them, though. As-is, they’re all pretty mediocre, especially when just one Tears of the Bazaar will let you afford better

The Parabola clothing is actually really nice. Not the best persuasive or shadowy clothing, but so close to both (8 vs. 10 persuasive, 5 vs. 6 shadowy) that it makes practically no difference. Nice for avoiding a little gear-juggling.

[quote=Spacemarine9]You can guarantee at least one if you hop in and out of the cave at 0 Irrigo.
[/quote]I take it there’s something in place that stops you from hopping in and out repeatedly to do just that?[li]

Not as of a few days ago, at least, besides the high action cost b/c it costs 3 actions to re-enter the Cave. Seeing as you’ll want to wait until you have at least 4 cards anyway though, it’s kind of a non-issue. Once you have one point of irrigo you can’t re-enter the Cave until next week, of course, so it only really lets you get one guaranteed card at most.

edited by Spacemarine9 on 7/20/2013

Actually, this has recently changed - you now gain 1 Irrigo upon entering the Cave. No more free re-entry.

Oh! Welp! Wasn’t like that when I went to the Cave this week but that was about three days ago now. I guess that effectively shortens Cave trips slightly as well, unless the new hardcap is 11. oh well!

Well as everyone is spoiler tagging the Cave info I better do the same.

[spoiler] I don’t think it is really a money making exercise, unless you are lucky enough to get the card for the Tears of the Bazaar. The items that are changed give a slight boost to a stat and sell at the value of the original item. So it is probably worth doing until you have upgraded everything.

Though it helps that when your Irrigo fades you lose some wounds and scandal. And, as far as I can tell, you don’t lose any more stats. [/spoiler]

Basically I just find it a fascinating place

That’s odd - today I got an irrigo reduction, with all the costs and the benefits that entails, despite not having gone into the Cave nor soaked up any irrigo in the past week.

[li]
In addition to Flyte’s list, there’s one unique item that requires a quality rather than an item to obtain:

[spoiler]A Fine Piece in the Game - A Veteran Spy.

And regarding money- Wiki says there are only 11 cards in the Cave, so you’ve got a pretty good shot at getting the Tears card at least once. Even if you only get one every other trip, a trip takes ~15 actions, so you’re still talking 1000+ ppa. The question is whether or not you find the stat loss worth the money.[/spoiler]

About to enter for the first time. Am I right to believe that the twitter-mentioned code will remove Irrigo, once, even if I’m in the cave?

Regardless, if I’m wrong in my assumption that the code-phrase is MrBronze I’d appreciate a PM - thanks!

This morning I also had an unexpected Irrigo reduction. Although I actually had Irrigo, so it was nice.

On making money: We don’t know that all cards are equally probable. I drew every card except the Tears one on my last trip, on which I racked up 20 Irrigo (by using the Irrigo-purging code). But you can also make pretty good money from the Rose card if you have enough Confident Smiles. The broad difficulty’s 1000, but it gives 62.50 Echoes on a success. With Persuasive 200, there’s a 12% chance of success. If you use the Second Chances to escape, you’re more likely than not to get it in six actions. Then there’s the Uncanny Incunabula.I suspect the mean profits of optimally gamey play are rather high.
edited by Flyte on 7/21/2013