Extremely frustrated by Magdalen's

I’ve run the early game four separate times, and I never find Magdalen’s, and eventually I run out of money, fuel, or food and die. I’ve explored all the Inner Reach (the first circle) in two separate games, and run around the brim of it until I run out of fuel.

Can somebody give me a hint? I’m not having fun any more. :(

I think that part of my early-game problem is that in the early game for Sunless Seas I had training wheels. I could crawl up the coast until something interesting happened. Furthermore, there was an early quest you could solve just by crawling up the coast. In the early Sunless Skies game, I’m exploring a 2-D space with no border, so I have no idea which way to head other than &quotnortheast&quot.

The locations in the Reach seem to move around quite a bit more than any of the islands in Sunless Sea ever did, but in most of my runs Magdalene’s is usually South/Southwest of New Winchester. It’s always in the Middle Circle, if that helps.

Thanks! (cranky comment) I do think the first quests should include some that are entirely within the First Circle and thus easy to complete.

the early quests are the fastidious inspector and albert clock, the latter gives 800g, and iirc you now get directions to port prosper to help with it. though the stained glass might be tricky to find.

just buy up bargains in every port you come across, and pawn your initial guns for starting capital. you can buy them back later when you make profit

Thanks! I didn’t do the Fastidious Inspector first because the directions say “a long way to the WNW” and I interpreted this as “you’ll run out of fuel in the early game.”

Pawning the guns is BRILLIANT. Thanks especially for that.

[color=#6666ff]Hola, [/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]It seems Magdalene’s likes to hide in its dark corner of the Reach. Here’s a couple of diagrams to help you[/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff][spoiler][/color]
[color=#6666ff]You’ll have seen this diagram before from our blog posts:[/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]

[color=#6666ff]
[/color]

[color=#6666ff]New Winchester is obviously always the core (sometimes known as the hub or major port) within the Reach. Magdalene’s is always in one of the inner three segments, and on each new save file that segment will be randomly placed in one of those three inner options. While the placement of each segment in the inner ring is random, the structure of the rings is fixed, as shown in the diagram, so remember those boundaries as they’ll help you when looking at your chart.[/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]Each port’s placement is then fixed within its segment. The Magdalene’s port itself will always appear approximately where I’ve placed the red circle in the diagram below, so in the North-West section of the Magdalene’s segment. If the Magdalene’s segment were to be generated in position 2 instead of 1, then Magdalene’s port would still be in that same relative position.[/color]

[color=#6666ff]
[/color]

[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff][/spoiler][/color]

[color=#6666ff]Hope that helps[/color]
edited by FailbetterFuzz on 1/24/2018