Expedition progress storylet and second chance

New player here.

Just lost an expedition to the Tomb of the Seven with 42 supplies (28/30 progress, ouch) by running out of supplies.

The question now is, does using Sudden insights for a second chance use the supplies again? I see no other way of me running out of them, when I only used the progress ones and 1 time the hinder option (which means no hard fails as far as I can remember, only retries).
edited by Hallabalooga on 5/1/2016

Using second chances does indeed consume two supplies if you have to retry the challenge. This is a bug and you should try sending an email to support@failbettergames.com! I think they’ll probably help? I’m not sure and would be eager to hear what happens.

Is this really the case? It would certainly explain the problems I had with that expedition. Does it apply to all of them? I have to say I get too caught up to notice…

Is this really the case? It would certainly explain the problems I had with that expedition. Does it apply to all of them? I have to say I get too caught up to notice…[/quote]
It also happens in the Bazaar Side-streets, so be careful when courting.

A bump. Is this issue still the case? Is it considered a bug still, or maybe declared working as intended since then?

I will confirm that Expeditions still work exactly in this fashion, so it’s very unwise to go on them unless you can do at least a cautious approach at 100% reliability.

(It also helps to have a good Persuasive and some Touching Love Stories for handling Rival Progress. I had those and barely touched my extra twenty crates of supplies for the Tomb of the Seven expedition.)
edited by Teaspoon on 7/25/2016

I figured out that the issue here is that unlike a lot of other storylets that use “unlocked with…” mechanics exclusively (subtracting supposed cost as one of the effects on a success/failure/both), expeditions use “cost” mechanics.

There are two downsides to it. First, “cost” tooltip doesn’t show you how many items of the type you have. Second, whether you play the option for the first or the second time (after a “reroll” with second chance), “cost” is being subtracted every time. This is unlike “classic” system, where cost is being used up as a result of the action that won’t be played out fully on the first (failed) try with reroll.

This is apparently just how the engine of Storynexus works. I’m not sure what are the reasons behind this approach being necessary for expeditions, but it’s d____bly inconvenient.

IIRC:

1. expeditions (and a bunch of other stuff in the forgotten quarter) were an “experimental ground” for this feature.
  2. it didn’t work as well as it should have, which is why the rest of the game isn’t being converted to work this way
  3. shortly after introducing this experiment, FBG started working on Sunless Sea, and there wasn’t anything significant done on improving “costs” since (the best we got is workarounds)

It did cost me an expedition too, until I realized it consumed double the supplies. I certainly hope it is addressed - or at least a warning is added.

For shame. It seems we’re stuck with this issue for another 6 months or so at least.

What workarounds there are? I mean, besides just knowing about this and accepting it?

Wait until your Watchful is good enough to take actions with 100% success. “A cautious approach” isn’t that high.