Entering Mahogany Hall

Goodness, the cost of permanent access of Mahogany Hall is certainly something, eh? Before I shell out on a menagerie of beasts, is there any other way (fate notwithstanding) to get Mahogany Hall to appear on my map? I’d hate to spend all that money and then discover that I could’ve got access for free down the line with a story option.[li]

You can’t access new areas for free. Not permanently. Certain opp cards give access, but only temporarily. One of the weekly content snippets did give people free, permanent access to Wolfstack, but that was a one off thing. But hey, at least Mahogany Hall has some very profitable storylets.
edited by dismallyOriented on 5/19/2014

So the ten bats, ten lizards, etc is the only permanent way to access the Hall?

Yep.

To be honest, the bats (and maybe lizards?) can be obtained through storylets in the Flit. You just need to start the Wars of Illusion. It’s a progression

It intimidated me at first too, especially when I was looking at it near the beginning of the game, but it’s definitely worth it.

[quote=dismallyOriented]Yep.

To be honest, the bats (and maybe lizards?) can be obtained through storylets in the Flit. You just need to start the Wars of Illusion. It’s a progression[/quote]

[li]
You can also get the weasels in the Waylay a weasel-seller storylet in Spite. You might get lucky and get an Araby Fighting-Weasel for your troubles as well.

[quote=dismallyOriented]You can’t access new areas for free. Not permanently.[/quote]Sure you can. The Flit can be accessed with a Shadowy challenge at Shadowy 50, and at Shadowy 60 a befriended rooftop urchin can take you there for free, with no challenge involved. Before that it costs 1200 Moon-pearls to bribe the urchins. And that’s the kind of stuff that teaches some players to wait and look and ask around to make sure that they’re getting the best deal that’s available.

Oh, I had no idea. Sorry for the misinformation!

Also entering the University - free when you are watchful enough and a Scholar of the Correspondent and not actually worth doing if you aren’t SOTC.

Wilmot’s End has a few ways to be unlocked as well and some of those are free.

I actually think that Mahogany Hall is the most expensive in some ways as you can’t find all you need in game, though when I started playing Ridiculous Hats were quite common in the random awards (which have been replaced by the Bundles of Oddities) and I can’t remember any stories that give talkative rats. If you are very lucky I think there are ways to get everything else in game.

[quote=dismallyOriented]Yep.

To be honest, the bats (and maybe lizards?) can be obtained through storylets in the Flit. You just need to start the Wars of Illusion. It’s a progression[/quote]

[li]
Thanks! I’ll look into that soon. At the minute I’m grinding objects to continue the shadowy quest line, helping a woman who’s stranded in an island out at zee…