Engines and Pirates

So I was planning my mandatory trip to Mount Palmerson because the admiralty finally gave me a commission there and there was no more putting it off, when I came to the realization that, maybe if I had a faster engine, I wouldn’t do my usual thing and get blasted out of the water by those infernal pirates, which incidentally are the only thing that has ever killed me in the entire game, and they do it every time I go by Palmerson’s reach. But, I have a reservation because I don’t know if a stronger engine eats up fuel faster. Does it, or does it not? Also, how can I not die by devil-pirate? Because it was somewhat vexing to have died to them on the same play through in which it took a hour to get my ship back from that space past the dawn machine, and I would rather enjoy being able to venture to the right again without the knowledge that I will die, no ands ifs or buts.

Bigger engines use more fuel. Or rather, more Engine Power equals more fuel required.

Personally, I use the Serpentine unlocked at the end of the Genial Magician’s storyline (when he returns as the Satisfied Magician). It’s got nice stat bonuses, improved Fuel Efficiency, and decent Engine Power. A very solid choice, and an excellent storyline.

But how do I get the satisfied magician and not the urbane one?

On the last step of the story, when you take the Magician back to London to face the Fingerking, you can log out and back in if your get the Urbane Magician. Since the game saves when you dock, you can replay that part until you get the Magician you want. A bit of a cheating way to do it, but well worth it for the benefits.

I’ve just been using the most powerful engine available. I can outrun anything. Even the crabs.

To be honest I try to sneak past those pirates up by Palmerstone, there is no reason to fight them as they are still placeholders. So I turn off my lights and run for port when I see one…
edited by reveurciel on 11/23/2014

Yeah, turning off the lamps has been my primary way of avoiding combat. It works very well, I was pleased to see that is accounted for. You can get within almost the range of your running lights before most enemies will notice you with your lights off. You can even flip off your lights once you’re spotted to throw off a pursuing enemy, too.

You’ll have to regularly eat full terror generation but it ends up being cheaper than repairs…to a point.
edited by Nenjin on 11/23/2014

I find the problem with the Compulsion is that it eats fuel just a little too quickly to make it efficient at anything other than short range runs or trying to make a dreadnought zip around like a corvette. The Serpentine is a really good engine, even for bigger ships.

My only problem with the serpentine is the number of port calls you have to make before the storyline even becomes available. Of course there should be a lot of work invested into getting such a great engine, but I’d rather be zailing somewhere than re-entering the same port over and over until I get the story I want.
[color=#c2c2c2]
[/color]

[color=#c2c2c2]
[/color]

edited by Old Toby on 12/2/2014

[quote=Old Toby]
My only problem with the serpentine is the number of port calls you have to make before the storyline even becomes available. Of course there should be a lot of work invested into getting such a great engine, but I’d rather be zailing somewhere than re-entering the same port over and over until I get the story I want.
edited by Old Toby on 12/2/2014[/quote]

Interesting, I was playing on Emerald when I got the Serpentine, and it was a build option rather than a random thing to acquire, you had to give a certain amount and have the magician be satisfied. Has it now been changed to something else?

No it hasn’t changed but it can be incredibly difficult to continue the Magician’s story. For example my last captain had upgraded the Brisk Campaigner and completed the Principles Quest before I saw the first item needed in Venderbight. But for one game the magician was my first officer, my first visit to Venderbight gave the item and my first visit to Gaider’s Mourn gave the item needed at the Khanate.

So there’s an element of randomness that I didn’t see very much, having got the magician late and already having quite a few of the things needed.

Thanks for that :)