Engagement and Weddings

From the pulpit of St. Fiacre’s wedding banns are published for the city entire. The Virtuous Dean reads them solemnly following the morning service each Sunday.

Yet in the congregation, all is not quiet. Snickers in the background are quietly ignored as those who enjoyed the latest festivities are nudged awake. Eyebrows are raised while discovering yet another of the eligible belles or beaus of society has made an alliance - but one financial or romantic? We cannot say. For others, surprised glances abound - interest in that quarter? We had heard their name in company with another of late… And whispers are assured as another person - we name no names - marries yet again! And of course, joyful smiles for those happy lovers now to be united, at long last.

By the evening, the news is spread throughout the city. Perhaps others who would like to make their attachments known would publish their engagement or wedding announcements here?

On the 27th of March, 1894, Sir Joseph Marlen and Parelle were joined in matrimony.
edited by Parelle on 3/29/2016

Congratulations to the happy couple. May your marriage be happy and prosperous.

Congratulations! If I might be so indelicate as to ask, did you use a traditional or more… innovative set of vows?

After all, in the Neath, death does not a wedded couple part…

Congrats!
A lot of good news on forum today.
Starting a wedding announcement topic is a lovely idea. Especially now that people are less afraid to get married (since introducing divorce mechanism).
It is nice to see familiar names on forum get together underneath.

Gifts are on their way to both of you (depending post office and RNG)
edited by Gonen on 3/29/2016

Congratulations to the couple! May your union be auspicious and long-standing.

Many thanks to all of you! I thought it would be nice for everyone to have a centralized location - particularly for gifting rats during the engagement!

Let’s see… I will not speak for Sir Joseph, but I am particularly partial to the authorized prayer book. It is a tricky thing to take such vows, but I will do my best! We do already know we can work well together!

Then shall the Priest say unto the Woman,
N. WILT thou have this man to thy wedded husband, to live together after God’s ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou obey him, and serve him, love, honour, and keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto him, so long as ye both shall live?

Congratulations! My alt and Rykar Malkus had a splendid wedding with all the trimmings, and it was great fun.

A splendid idea! I hope this serves as an extra bit of fun for other happily coupled players, and may all your relationships be delicious. Thanks to everyone for the gifts and best wishes!

Ooo! Thanks for the idea of adjusting my signature.

Ooo! Thanks for the idea of adjusting my signature.[/quote]

You’re welcome. After I read about your nups, it seemed only fair to recognize my partner in that fashion.

It is great pleasure that we announce Myrto and navchaa’s union of convenience. As two rather shadowy creatures of mysterious and indistinct gender aiming for greater notoriety in London, it was a match made in heaven. We have been joined in a private ceremony in the inner sanctum of the Bazaar. Congratulations welcome, but we much prefer gifts of value rather than words.

I love this announcement! &quotUnion of convenience&quot made me LOL at work just now.

I love this announcement! &quotUnion of convenience&quot made me LOL at work just now.[/quote]

Exactly why we’re a match made in heaven;)

Congratulations to the merry couple! I’m glad to see this thread revived for a good cause. May your future be as happy as ours and your heists together be profitable.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 8/24/2017

Thank you, Sir Joseph!

And thank you those who sent gifts, very kind of you!

I’m sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been in your place with my 1st marriage in-game. My friend dropped off the face of the earth just before finishing the marriage, so it lost its appeal without an actual friend to be a part of it. While this was going on, I met Parelle through a thread on the forums that involved mutually sending surprise packages back and forth. After making our interests known, sending some emails to support to deal with early glitches in the marriage system, and a second wedding grind, our characters were finally wed.

If you’re still wanting a player marriage despite your nasty experience so far, you can always browse the forums for interaction with players. If you can befriend someone via rp or just simple interaction with them, there’s a good chance you’ll find someone with the same interest. There may even be a thread somewhere specifically for that purpose, though I’m unsure how long ago it was made. Either way, best of luck!

Don’t worry, you’re definitely not alone.

My main (Mademoiselle) was to be married to a very exceptional gentleman. There were some communication problems between me and the gentleman’s player, which ended up with both of us agreeing to call the wedding off. And it would’ve been fine, really! Except for the fact I had literally planned her entire story around this marriage. Now, this probably isn’t a big deal for people who don’t roleplay their characters, but I’ve gone to stupidly dangerous lengths just to make her in-game state match her IC state.
I -also- purposely arranged for a doomed relationship with another gentleman, who genuinely loved her, to make an even bigger deal about this wedding. She cheated on him, betrayed his trust, and eventually left him (Well, he left her, in a surprising moment of brilliance) in order to get married. But the wedding never came.
Their relationship these days is…complicated.

It’s okay now - Having her remain single led me to meeting some really cool people, but I was really sad when this happened.

Rest assured, it’s only a matter of keeping an eye out on the forums and/or the sidebar. Wacky journal titles = Spouse material.
It is known.

[quote=Slyblue]
Rest assured, it’s only a matter of keeping an eye out on the forums and/or the sidebar. Wacky journal titles = Spouse material.
It is known.[/quote]

Flesh-Stick would REALLY beg to differ :P

That doomed relationship was actually a blast! Ah, a lot of fun to play, that is. But it worked out that way because of OOC player communication. All the really rich relationships my characters have had developed through a combination of in-character interaction and out-of-character discussion. Approaching another PC for the first time always feels scary, but once I start talking with the player, things usually go pretty well. (Or if our RP goals are incompatible, that becomes clear and we can move on.) So yes, the forums are a good place to look - both because the players here are mostly pretty serious about the game and because you can use Direct Messages here to discuss your actions in-game.

[quote=Kukapetal]
Flesh-Stick would REALLY beg to differ :P[/quote]
And I would beg to differ with Fleshy. You just don’t know how many of us want to marry him :P

This! Er, not the doomed relationship, but the OOC communication. Bringing misery and doom to the table can spice up any story (and bring characters together), but it needs to be carefully planned to make sure everyone is on the same page. And who knows? You might just end up meeting all sorts of players. Some of them will stay for a while, some of them will message you at 3 am because they had this really awesome idea and couldn’t help but share it with you. You’ll figure out what works best for you!