Emerald feedback!

Right, the Currator questline at the moment feels a little like SMEN, with willingly taking the drawbacks of becoming a cannibal and screwing your relations with either the Rats or the Cavies. Given the rewards worth some alternate solutions would be nice.

On an other note, finally reduced my suspicion enough to enter the Nephrite Quarter and was a little underwhelmed, considering all the hassle you have to go through. The shops are nice but nothing special and the prices quite like London. Really hope some more exotic stuff and maybe a shipyard (War Trimaran anyone?) will be added.

I giggled. I’m sorry. (I’m not sorry.) I STILL can’t read that as intended.

… As you were.

So, what’s the deal with secure storage at the Iron & Misery Company? Haven’t seen an option for it anywhere.

[li]Unaccountably Peckish?

try the ‘something more … robust’ option that appears when presented with a food challenge in port (below cave shrimp slot).
usual blah-blah results, but you ALSO get +1 to Iron each time.

… but you also get another &quotUnaccountably Peckish&quot card.
not sure what other consequences that will trigger.
but if you score +1 to Iron for every bite, the future cost must be very high.
maybe chucking nightmares down a well costs a card and takes it from your deck, but i’m afraid i’m not afraid enough to try.

[quote=MatthewtheMagnificent]Right, the Currator questline at the moment feels a little like SMEN, with willingly taking the drawbacks of becoming a cannibal and screwing your relations with either the Rats or the Cavies. Given the rewards worth some alternate solutions would be nice.

On an other note, finally reduced my suspicion enough to enter the Nephrite Quarter and was a little underwhelmed, considering all the hassle you have to go through. The shops are nice but nothing special and the prices quite like London. Really hope some more exotic stuff and maybe a shipyard (War Trimaran anyone?) will be added.[/quote]

ah, that must be why i can’t access story at Pigmote anymore.
nice.
kinda feel sandbagged, in that there’s no pre-warn about an action leading to the taint.
you just oops! got it, unless you know in advance that action X leads to Y.
and no idea how to shake it.
(tried curse-lifting at Whither; one of the gods would not deal with The Tainted…)

on the Khans, i think the point is to use them as a staging ground for southern exploration, just like Mt. P supports the north.
without a London-equivalent in that quarter, access to the southern and lower eastern reaches would be difficult.
unless you’ve got some serious boatage and cash to burn, exploration into that zone will be tough.
and my guess would be that there isn’t a ‘super-port’ waiting to be discovered / developed out there in the boonies, either.

curious about the Iron Republic.
kinda acts as a booster / super-port but there must be something more to it.
although … trading heart points off your base for 8-buck fuel chuck is a very pricey trade.
and i get the feeling there may be other bills to be paid for jaunts into the markets of hell.
[li]

It’s an item that you buy, not a warehouse (which is what I thought at first, too). 500 echoes, aft slot, prevents anything from getting into or out of your hold – presumably stopping hungry tomb-colonists and unfinished men from wreaking havoc.

I also have a feeling that it prevents the stone from the Stone Lions from wreacking havoc/flooding your boat.

I just wanted to point out this:

[quote]COMBAT is a different matter. We knew it needed work – you can see it’s marked as about 65% on our progress plan – but the feedback has been very clearly that it’s the weakest part of the game right now. So our current plan (TBC this week) is to

relabel it as 50% complete
focus the month of August, and an extra release – STEEL – on combat, beastie pathfinding, and related issues
slip the other releases by a month.

That’s a pain for us – and we know it’s not great news for people eager for the final release - but there’s no point us listening to feedback if we don’t respond to it. We want to make the best game we can, and all of you are helping us do that. So – thank you all! We’ll see you on the other side of EMERALD.[/quote]

(from the patchnotes)

My feedback is a great “thank you” to the developers because it’s obviously a choice that will set them back a bit but it’s also a great response to players’ requests and it shows that the game is going nowhere if not in the right direction. Looking forward to see Steel and Emerald is already great!

I was sad when I realized the secure storage was an item. I have too much loot!

This is definitely not a huge issue but whilst reading through the forums prior to the Emerald update I noticed a few requests for an aura of terror-reducing light, similar to a buoy beacon, be added around the Chapel of Lights. While I have no strong feelings on the matter myself, I made a deliberate trip to the Chapel upon first playing the Emerald update and found it unchanged. Got me thinking though…as the island is covered in candles, and IF the developers decide to give it a light aura, I cannot help but suggest, in the spirit of bad puns, that it be renamed the Chapel of Waxing Light.

Anyone else had a problem in the Iron Republic where you see the cards for the Market but the shops themselves never appear? (I’m flagging it as a bug via email too, but curious to see if this is just me)

Yeah imyril, I got a similar problem with the shop on the Nephrite Quarter, sometimes the problem can be fixed by exiting the game to windows and reloading.

Ok I take back everything I said about the Nephrite Quarter, it’s actually great because it finally satisfies all the neathly Patricians by allowing profitable trade (3 E on wine to and 4 E on Coffe from) and is a nice place to restock before heading to the deep south.

Speaking of the south, am I the only one who get’s literally hunted by the word &quotjellyfish&quot down there?

Right, the Jillifish. I was surrounded by a pack of words once when I was exploring down there.

[li]i ran into the &quotmissing shops&quot issue with both the Khanate & the Iron Republic.
my suspicion levels / &quotdays&quot (?) for either were low enough to theoretically permit entry.

also been through the southern way and harassed by floating text.
i took the hint i was charting unchartable waters and meandered back.
wondering, too, how the tyrant moths will play out, but they remain unfinished as well.

A bit late to the Emerald party, so i’ve only just played a bit, but loving the map shuffling so far. Haven’t been south yet, since I made a new character to experience shuffling. Besides that, the SAY bell keeps making me think I have secrets, and the speeding up noise is odd, but i’ll get used to it probably.

I am loving this update so far, new ways to make money, new things to do, it’s great! My only complaint is the empty regions between here and there, but I know it would probably not be worth taking areas which haven’t been added out of the shuffle with those that have when it won’t matter in the end. Looking forward to the combat update next, this game is already eating all my time and it’s still got so much more to come!

A very minor note, I’m a bit puzzled by the sound of our ship… did they really sound like trains?

Yes. Reciprocating Marine steam engines are very noisy.

I suspect this may be a case of “reality isn’t realistic”? While steam engines would almost certainly sound a lot like trains, it seems extremely odd to hear that noise chugging out of my ship as I glide across the deep black sea. It’s jarring.

I’ve been giving it some time to see if I got used to it (being used to the relatively quiet engine noise before Emerald) but…no. I like all the changes Emerald made to the sounds of Sunless Sea, except for that one. I’m not sure what would sound “right” but I think it might involve less “chuggachuggachugga”?