Elementary Election Explainer

Dates
20 June - Feducci is announced as a candidate
21 June - The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner is announced as a candidate
22 June - The Implacable Detective is announced as a candidate
23 June - The rules of the election are revealed
26 June - The event starts
3 July - We will likely receive an update on which candidate is in the lead. Debating will become possible. The “The Mayoral Election 1895” storylet may change to “The Election Heats Up!” and new information about the candidates will become available
10 July - We are likely to find out the victor and material reward will be available in the “The Victor is Announced!” storylet

Objectives
There are two principal activities during the election season - Mr Mirrors’ Marquee of Mystification and the Election itself.

[ul][li]The Marquee is accessed from the “The Mayoral Election 1895”/ “The Election Heats Up!” storylet and lets you buy a variety of items for Fate.
[/li][ul][li]Of note are the the best-in-slot items (Wax-Hardened Boots, Corithian Belfry Hat, Epicurean War-Helm and the Voting Booth) and the best-in-slot-except-renown-and-profession items (Guide to Electioneering, Mutton Island Account and Polythreme Drinking Vessel).
[/li][li]Some of these items are available as a one-off free gift when you chose a candidate to support.
[/li][/ul][li]In the Election you:
[/li][ul][li]Choose one of three candidates to support
[/li][li]Choose your election career (Fixer, Campaigner or Agitator). This is the manner in which you will help your candidate
[/li][li]Gain votes that you will cast for your candidate by:

[ul][li] Spending Electoral Resources (Public Attention, Convincing Rhetoric and Dirty Secrets) to gain levels in your chosen election career (1 vote per career level; max 20);
[/li][li]Increasing Notability through the usual means (1 vote per Notability level; max 15);
[/li][li]Gaining Influencing the Election through your election career (1 vote per Influencing the Election level; max 10).
[/li][/ul][/li][li]Support your chosen candidate on social media, trying to sway other users to support them
[/li][li]Debate during the second week[/li][li]Half-way through and at the end of the Election, you contribute your votes (career + Notability + influence) to your candidate. You do not actually have to do anything; this is done automatically by FBG.
[/li][li]The victorious candidate will likely have &quotThe Mayor of London&quot card in the Opportunity deck for the rest of the year and appear in other seasonal events[/li][/ul][/ul]Choosing your candidate

[ul][li]You can choose whether to support Feducci, the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner or the Implacable Detective[/li][li]You can choose any candidate from the pinned “The Mayoral Election 1895”/ “The Election Heats Up!” storylet or from that candidate’s dedicated opportunity card.
[/li][li]Choosing a candidate for the first time entitles you to a free gift from Mr Mirrors’ Marquee of Mystification. For each candidate there is an item that is only available if you support that candidate but you are not obliged to pick that one.
[/li][li]You can change the candidate you support either by paying Fate or suffering a setback by having your election career level halved.
[/li][li]If you want to learn more about a candidate you can gather information in the following places:
[/li][ul][li]In the “Learn more about the Candidates!” storylet
[/li][li]On the candidate’s dedicated opportunity card
[/li][li]By completing a Case (started in the “The Mayoral Election 1895”/ “The Election Heats Up!” storylet) to Investigate a Campaign. The information revealed changes half-way through the election
[/li][li]By performing a Flash Lay (started in the “The Mayoral Election 1895”/ “The Election Heats Up!” storylet) to Learn Campaign Secrets. The information revealed changes half-way through the election[/li][/ul][/ul]Choosing your election career[ul][li]You can choose a career from the pinned “The Mayoral Election 1895”/ “The Election Heats Up!” storylet.
[/li][li]You can change your career either by paying Fate or suffering a setback by having your election career level halved.
[/li][li]You can choose to become a Campaigner, a Fixer or an Agitator

[ul][li]Campaigner
[/li][ul][li]Campaigners help the candidates through traditional campaigning such as canvassing, seeking donations etc
[/li][li]Campaigners focus primarily on Convincing Rhetoric and Public Attention
[/li][li]Being a Campaigner gives you access to Wax-Hardened Boots in Mr Mirrors’ Marquee
[/li][li]Campaigners have access to Campaigning for your Candidate where they can seek donations[/li][/ul][li]Fixer
[/li][ul][li]Fixers help the candidates by removing obstacles, dealing in favours etc.
[/li][li]Fixers focus primarily on Convincing Rhetoric and Dirty Secrets
[/li][li]Being a Fixer gives you access to a Poisoned Pen in Mr Mirrors’ Marquee
[/li][li]Being a Fixer gives you a unique ability to spend Public Attention to reduce menaces and gain Identities Uncovered
[/li][li]Fixers have access to Fixing Names where they can approach other players to cure their Scandal and Suspicion[/li][/ul][li]Agitator
[/li][ul][li]Agitators help the candidates through intimidating their opponents and other belligerent means
[/li][li]Agitators focus primarily on Dirty Secrets and Public Attention
[/li][li]Being an Agitators gives you access to a Polythreme Drinking Vessel in Mr Mirrors’ Marquee
[/li][li]Agitators have access to Raising a Mob where they can instigate an angry mob to attack other Agitators[/li][/ul][/ul][/li][/ul]Gaining electoral resources

[ul][li]Public Attention (used by Campaigners and Agitators)
[/li][ul][li]Completing a Polite Party (12 Talk of the Town) gives you 1 PA, 2 Favours in High Places, 250 CC and some MW
[/li][li]Completing a Flash Lay to Learn Campaign Secrets gives you 1 PA and 1 Dirty Secret
[/li][li]Exchange a Compelling Short Story for 1 PA and 1 Convincing Rhetoric in “An Election! London Must Decide!”/ “The Election Heats Up!” storylet
[/li][li]Exchange 1 Favour: Docks and 750 Greyfields 1879 for 1 PA on “Campaign Resources” opportunity card
[/li][li]Publish a special edition of a newspaper. Costs 24 Meritorious and 24 Salacious Copy. Gives 1 PA and 3 Favours in High Places and 34 Incendiary Gossip
[/li][li]Feducci’s Campaign opportunity card gives 1 PA in exchange for 5 echos worth some items
[/li][/ul][li]Convincing Rhetoric (used by Campaigners and Fixers)
[/li][ul][li]Complete a Case to Investigate a Campaign to gain 1 CR
[/li][li]Exchange a Compelling Short Story for 1 CR and 1 Public Attention
[/li][li]Exchange 1 Favour: Tomb-Colonists and 750 Silk Scraps for 1 CR on “Campaign Resources” opportunity card
[/li][li]The Implacable Detective’s Campaign opportunity card gives 1 CR in exchange for 5 echos worth some items
[/li][/ul][li]Dirty Secrets (used by Fixers and Agitators)
[/li][ul][li]Completing a Flash Lay to Learn Campaign Secrets gives you 1 DS and 1 Public Attention
[/li][li]Exchange 1 Favour: Criminals and 750 Rostygold for 1 DS on “Campaign Resources” opportunity card
[/li][li]Exchange 1 Cellar of Wine for 1 DS on “Campaign Resources” opportunity card
[/li][li]The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner’s Campaign opportunity card gives 1 DS in exchange for 5 echos worth some items[/li][/ul][/ul]Spending electoral resources

[ul][li]You can spend two Electoral Resources of different types to advance your election career by 1 level up to maximum of 20. This is available on the “Advancing Your Election Career” opportunity card or you can pay 20 Fate to force draw it.
[/li][ul][li]Public Attention and Dirty Secret for Agitator
[/li][li]Public Attention and Convincing Rhetoric for Campaigner
[/li][li]Dirty Secret and Convincing Rhetoric for Fixer
[/li][/ul][li]You can exchange all your election resources of a single type for items in the “An Electoral Opportunity!” storylet at exchange rate of 10 echoes per election resource
[/li][ul][li]Public Attention for Muscaria Brandy
[/li][li]Dirty Secrets for Mourning Candles
[/li][li]Convincing Rhetoric for Collated Research
[/li][/ul][li]You can exchange one election resource of each type for various items (of variable value of 7.5-15 echoes) and Making Waves in the “An Electoral Opportunity!” storylet
[/li][li]Fixers can spend Public Attention in the “An Electoral Opportunity!” storylet to reduce menaces, get MW and 5 echoes of Identities Uncovered
[/li][li]You can spend 10 Fate to gift one election resource of each type to a friend[/li][/ul]Campaigning for your Candidate (Campaigners only)

[ul][li]Campaigners can request donations from other players supporting the same candidate
[/li][li]Campaigners can request Modest, Moderate or Major donations. The other player can make the donations in items or in echoes and the campaigner receives the corresponding amount of Donations Received. It is always cheaper to give donations in items.
[/li][ul][li]Modest donations can be made in 0.5 echoes of moon-pearls, glim, brass or rostygold. Alternatively you can donate 0.75 echoes directly. These give the campaigner 5 Donations Received.
[/li][li]Moderate donations can be made in 2.5 echoes of souls or incendiary gossip. Alternatively you can donate 5 scraps or 3 echoes directly. These give the campaigner 25 Donations Received.[/li][li]Major donations can be made in 5 echoes of mixed items. Alternatively you can donate 6 echoes directly. These give the campaigner 50 Donations Received.[/li][/ul][li]5 Donations Received can be cashed in for 1 Influencing the Election level up to a maximum of 4 and 0-1 Favours (or 25 CP Connected) with Criminals, Docks or the Church
[/li][li]25 Donations Received can be cashed in for 1 Influencing the Election level up to a maximum of 7 and 0-1 Favours (or 25 CP Connected) with Bohemians, Constables or Revolutionaries
[/li][li]50 Donations Received can be cashed in for 1 Influencing the Election level up to a maximum of 10 and 1 Favour (or 50 CP Connected) with Society or Hell
[/li][/ul]Fixing Names (Fixers only)

[ul][li]Fixers can help other players supporting the same candidate by removing their Scandal and Suspicion
[/li][li]Fixing Suspicion/Fixing Scandals requires requires 7 levels of the corresponding quality - Correcting a Suspicious Record/Correcting a Scandalous Record, respectively. These can be raised :[/li][ul][li]2 levels by passing a challenge on one of the four main attributes
[/li][li]3 levels by spending 1 echo worth of items: wines or compromising documents to fix Suspicion; souls or tales of terror to fix Scandals
[/li][li]3 levels by gaining the corresponding menace yourself
[/li][li]3 levels by spending a second chance (Confident Smile for Scandal, Warning Note for Suspicion)
[/li][/ul][li]Successful fixing removes the menace from the other player and gives you 1 Reputation for Fixing Things, which can be spent on Influencing the Election. You need 12 Reputation for Fixing Things for maximum Influencing the Election
[/li][/ul]Raising a Mob (Agitators only)

[ul][li]Agitators can raise a mob to harass another Agitator supporting a different candidate
[/li][li]First an agitator has to rally a mob, raising the Rallying a Mob quality to 11
[/li][ul][li]The first level is just an action
[/li][li]From 1 to 7 you get
[/li][ul][li]2 levels by passing a challenge on one of the main attributes[/li][li]2 levels by paying 1 echo
[/li][li]3 levels by getting a point of menace if you already have some of that menace
[/li][li]2-4 of levels on a luck check
[/li][/ul][li]From 7 to 11 it takes a single action
[/li][/ul][li]Then you choose which opponent you will harass and how to equip your mob, which determines what damage it will deal to your opponent
[/li][li]Successfully targeting an opponent gives you 1 An Agitator of Renown, which can be spent on Influencing the Election. You need 12 An Agitator of Renown for maximum Influencing the Election
[/li][/ul]Dealing with a Mob (victims of Agitators only)

[ul][li]The player who has been attacked by a mob
[/li][ul][li]gets an Urgent Abundant frequency Hunted by a mob! card in their deck, which damages that player depending on what the mob is equipped with. Rotten veg deal wounds, slurs deal scandal, lanterns deal nightmares.
[/li][li]is prevented from running the Learn Campaign Secrets Flash Lay or the Investigate a Campaign Case until the mob is disperesed.
[/li][/ul][li]To remove Hunted by a mob! card from their deck, a player needs to deplete the mob in the Ridding yourself of a Mob storylet
[/li][ul][li]A mob starts with 100 &quothit points&quot
[/li][li]You can remove 20 &quothit points&quot by suffering a point of any menace
[/li][li]You can remove 10 &quothit points&quot by spending any second chance
[/li][/ul][li]If you are tired of being harassed by mobs one way of &quotopting out&quot is to change your election career to Fixer or Campaigner.
[/li][/ul]Debating

• Any player can invite another player supporting a different candidate to debate[/li][li]Debating allows you to gain Influencing the Election up to a maximum of 15[/li][li]See dov’s detailed guide for details

edited by genesis on 7/5/2017

It is very likely that Sinning Jenny’s Finishing School will have some sort of seasonal card, the text of which will vary depending upon which combination of students you are currently teaching. During Neathmas there was a Mr Sacks themed card and during the Feast of the Exceptional there was a romance themed card.
edited by Anne Auclair on 6/19/2017

[quote=genesis][ul][ul][li]Completing a Polite Party (12 Time Remaining…) gives you 1 PA, 2 Favours in High Places, 250 CC and some MW[/li][/ul][/ul][/quote]I assume you mean Talk of the Town.
edited by Optimatum on 6/19/2017

Indeed, thank you!

Btw, Haley has confirmed the dates for when the candidates will be announced. I’ve updated it in the dates above.

Presumably in the next half an hour or so the Election seasonal event will go live.

I will start updating the main post as new info becomes available. But I need to be afk in a couple of hours. So if the event goes live with a delay or if the new mechanics are particularly complicated and require lots of testing, the info may remain inaccurate for some of the day.

Obviously let me know if there are egregious omissions etc.

Ok, I’ve updated as much as I can for now. Some of this is info from other people so I haven’t verified it myself yet. Gotta run but will be back in a few hours to continue.

We don’t lose our gifts from last year, right?

Right. I got the campaigner’s boots and I still have the Anchoress from last election.

You won’t lose your gifts; they are yours to keep.

Also, a reminder that there are no real harmful effect from switching candidate before you participate; therefore, you can just pick the item you like and immediately change career/candidate.

Where can i spend my Influence, which i get via donations?
edited by Waterpls on 6/26/2017

[quote=Waterpls]Where can i spend my Influence, which i get via donations?
edited by Waterpls on 6/26/2017[/quote]

You do not spend it per se. It is added to your career progress and Notability to determine how many votes you cast for your candidate at the end of the festival.

Ok, I think I am done for today. There’s been a lot of new functionality than I had been anticipating! So I had to rely on info from other people.

Let me know if stuff is missing or if it’s not clear or whatnot.

Great write-up, thanks!

Two things:

Campaign Resources; you also pay 7.5 Echos of items other than the favour to get the resource.

Fixing Names; at least two of the options gave me three levels instead of two.

[quote=Corran]Great write-up, thanks!

Two things:

Campaign Resources; you also pay 7.5 Echos of items other than the favour to get the resource.

Fixing Names; at least two of the options gave me three levels instead of two.[/quote]

Thanks! I corrected the former and simplified the latter. Will get the levels corrected when I figure them out.

Looks like the election can be profitable! For example, getting Convincing Rhetoric from the Implacable Detective’s card costs 5 echoes worth of incendiary gossip, but you can turn it in for 10 echoes of collated research, for a net 2.5 echoes/action.

Don’t know how that translates to other campaign resources and other ways of collecting them. But it sounds like this festival is worth something even for those just lookin’ to make a quick buck off of the commotion.

Does anyone have any calculations on what career is optimal for grinding career levels? That part of the election hasn’t changed much at all since last year, so even old maths on the matter should be helpful.

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus]Does anyone have any calculations on what career is optimal for grinding career levels? That part of the election hasn’t changed much at all since last year, so even old maths on the matter should be helpful.[/quote]Depends on what you are trying to optimize. If you want to get to the max career level in the shortest amount of time possible, ignoring all other factors, then Campaigner is optimal, since you can churn out Compelling short stories fairly rapidly by investing items into generating potential. If you want to grind quickly without paying out a lot of echoes, then Agitator is optimal, as each Flash Lay gets you a level and those only take an average of ~21 actions a pop (the caveat being that if a rival Agitator sics a mob on you, that’ll slow you down a bit).

Personally, I’m going to be getting my resources through opportunity cards as much as possible, as that’s the least expensive route in terms of earning potential lost. If you go that route, it doesn’t really matter what your career is, as all the resources are roughly as common.

On donations, who is it that gets the influencing point? The campaigner who requested the donation, or the person who donated? Or both?

You’re mistaken, you buy influencing points with the donations you’ve recieved. Donating is a purely magnanimous action that doesn’t give you direct benefit, it’s all to further the cause, you see…
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 6/27/2017

Does performing a Rally with Revolutionaries raise Advancing the Liberation of the Night?