Election 1898: 13th - 24th July

[color=#0066ff]Election isn’t far away, so from today I’ll be starting threads for revealing and speculating about each candidate.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Let the excitement begin! And remember - tempers can be a little shorter around Election time in the community, so please be extra kind to one another, and thoughtful in your speculations. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]To the polls!
[/color]

[color=#0066ff]A hustings stands in Hastings Square, festooned with bright banners and garish posters. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]Some depict the calm countenance of F.F. Gebrandt, brandishing a luminous flask, others the inscrutable eye of the Tentacled Entrepreneur. Others bear the fearsome visage of the Viscountess of the Viric Jungle.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Three candidates. Three platforms for London’s health and prosperity. One will succeed Virginia to become London’s mayor for a year. Who will you choose?[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]

[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Will you get behind F.F Gebrandt? This business-minded chemist and highly respected academic has plans for a wider range of chemical inventions, and founding a museum for the edification of the city’s palaeontologists… [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff][/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Or perhaps you’ll be supporting the Tentacled Entrepreneur? He promises to open a salon devoted to a Renaissance of Rubbery Culture in Fallen London![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff][/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Or will you vote for the Viscountess of the Viric Jungle? She promises to take Londoners to battle! To change the ascendant powers in Parabola, and raise the position of cats in London.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]

[color=#0066ff]The Election is a free festival in Fallen London, open to all players. It begins today, Monday the 13th of July, and ends on the 27th of July, with the winner announced that afternoon (BST). [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Choose Your Candidate[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Use the first week of the Election to find out about the candidates and their platforms via ‘The Mayoral Election 1898’ hub, and through cards in your Opportunity Deck. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]From Monday the 20th of July, you’ll be able to cast your vote! [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Choose a Career and increase your Reputation[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Whether Campaigner, Fixer or Agitator, your efforts will be required to raise support for your chosen candidate. Advance your Career from the main Election card. At the end of the Election, your combined Election Career level and Notability will be counted towards whichever candidate you chose to support![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]This is politics: Reputation is everything. Gain Reputation through the ‘Further your Reputation’ card in your Opportunity Deck. Reputation can be spent to advance your Career, gather information on the three candidates, and to acquire useful items.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Calling in Favours can also increase your Reputation, and each Career type can call on different factions:[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Campaigner: Society, Bohemian, Hell, Constables, Church, Great Game[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Fixer: Society, Hell, Urchins, Tomb-Colonists, Revolutionaries, Great Game[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Agitator: Rubbery Men, Bohemians, Criminals, Urchins, Docks, Revolutionaries[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]The Outcome[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Mr Huffam of the Unexpurgated Gazette (London’s newspaper of note) will be polling the populace throughout, and releasing the results periodically via the main Election card.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]On the 27th of July, we will reveal the election results! The elected Mayor will serve for one year, and their Mayoral influence will be felt throughout London until next year’s Election. So, investigate all of their platforms vigorously![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]May the best sentient being win![/color]

Rubbery power!

Something only vaguely related but I noticed you can now get Connected:Fingerkings. Shouldn’t that be Renown: Fingerkings to stay in line with all the other Favour using factions?

Based on the text the difference seems to be intentional. This doesn’t seem to be renown in the sense that you are respected by the faction. You simply have a greater connection with the Fingerkings, for better or worse.

Regardless, the results of the flash lays for each candidate have done nothing to assuage my indecision. In fact, it has only made it worse. I feel like I am going to really enjoy this election, especially with all the added interactions we can have with each candidate.
edited by Mulligan on 7/13/2020

Oh FFS, Gebrandt wants to make Jurassic Park, the kitty-cat wants to use London to pursue the Cat/Fingerkings war and the rubberyman wants to make public sculptures to harvest DNA.

This. THIS is why I wanted Silas the Showman to throw his hat in the ring.

And all of those seem like very interesting developments for Fallen London. I mean, so far the people have voted in a brothel-running battle-nun, a Presbyter spy (and potential slaver), a known revolutionary, and a deviless. At this point I’ve decided it’s best to just dedicate myself to chaos.

Plus I want to see the continuation of the glass and the shroud story-line, which would inevitably embroil us in the Parabolan conflict anyway.

[quote=Mulligan]And all of those seem like very interesting developments for Fallen London. I mean, so far the people have voted in a brothel-running battle-nun, a Presbyter spy (and potential slaver), a known revolutionary, and a deviless. At this point I’ve decided it’s best to just dedicate myself to chaos.[/quote]That’s the spirit. These poor, deluded souls trying to puzzle out and seriously argue who is the &quotbest&quot choice… perhaps they’ll catch on one day. It’s all about who is the most interesting.

Sinning Jenny is perfect! You’re right about everyone else. And I voted against them, so nyah!

Honestly, I’m still leaning towards the kitty, because it’s a kitty! And the Fingerkings are dicks. Gebrandt’s platform is way over the edge in terms of making terminators and Jurassic Park.
edited by Toran on 7/13/2020

Personally I think the Jurassic Park development is the most appealing part of her platform.

Is it time to break out a new slogan?
Say, “Get rubbery, or get lumps!” ?

Between that and the Second Fingerking War, I think the entrepreneur has the smallest chance to make the Bazaar dump the sixth city on top of us just to put a stop to everything.

Well, we shall not forget the sad fact that Sixth City will eventually land on our heads, sooner or later. Why wait, then? Bring it on, I say! Also, everybody love kittens. :)

Is it possible to send a big box of live rodents to each candidate? Asking for a friend.

Between that and the Second Fingerking War, I think the entrepreneur has the smallest chance to make the Bazaar dump the sixth city on top of us just to put a stop to everything.[/quote]

Agreed - we had the chance last year to vote in someone who actually wanted to do something about that but we decided to opt for the pretty soul-stealer instead (Bitter still? Moi?). I don’t think London’s citizens are that interested in avoiding our inevitable Doom. DOOM I tells ya!

ahem

Vote rubbery!

Virginia is not that bad.

I’m torn.

On the one-hand, F.F. Gebrandt seems to promise the possibility that my character (an avid huntsman) can hunt primeval animals resurrected for sport.

[ul][li]Also, didn’t most of us sleep with her at one point? I vaguely remember seducing someone who looked like my aunt 6 years ago.[/li][/ul]On the other hand, the warmonger in me likes the Viscountess’ stance on making war in a nightmarish glass dimension so we can get some sleep.

The rubbery man seems the odd rubber duck out in all of this for me.

edited by Owen Wulf on 7/14/2020

There’s a new election-related storylet in the Bone Market: https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Show_F._F._Gebrandt_around_your_Stall

Success on a Toxicology challenge provides an interesting tidbit: &quotOr if you wished to become more magnanimous, there is a ground-fruit found in the Elder Continent…&quot A hint at possible quirk-altering opportunities in the future?

Also, as there is new content for the Viscountess (https://community.failbettergames.com/topic28018-new-content-in-viric-jungle.aspx), it follows there is likely something new for the Entrepreneur. Has any such thing been found?
edited by Alexander Feld on 7/14/2020

[quote=Alexander Feld]There’s a new election-related storylet in the Bone Market: https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Show_F._F._Gebrandt_around_your_Stall

Success on a Toxicology challenge provides an interesting tidbit: &quotOr if you wished to become more magnanimous, there is a ground-fruit found in the Elder Continent…&quot A hint at possible quirk-altering opportunities in the future?

Also, as there is new content for the Viscountess (https://community.failbettergames.com/topic28018-new-content-in-viric-jungle.aspx), it follows there is likely something new for the Entrepreneur. Has any such thing been found?
edited by Alexander Feld on 7/14/2020[/quote]

In Ealing Garden, there’s now options to visit the Rubbery Art House there.

Well, we shall not forget the sad fact that Sixth City will eventually land on our heads, sooner or later. Why wait, then? Bring it on, I say! Also, everybody love kittens. :)[/quote]

{Heart’s Desire Spoiler}

[spoiler]Not if you chose TIME at the end of Heart’s Desire. Then you can forestall the coming of the Sixth it however long you desire.

…I mean, I went with POWER, but whatever, bring me dinosaurs![/spoiler]

EDIT: Had to try a couple times to get the spoiler box working. Got too used to the code on other forums.
edited by Lazaroth on 7/14/2020