Election 1897: Mrs Plenty

Mrs. Plenty could have had my vote. She could have. She’s the candidate with the most experience managing a larger organization. Shoshana is just a fortune teller; Virginia is an academic/archeologist. Plenty has an entire carnival, run and maintained by her watchful eye.

She could have had my vote, if not for her campaign’s tagline: “a moment of peace”. Peace? Is that all you offer us? Peace? Where is the ambition? Where is the promise of improvement? If you want a moment of peace, sit by the fireplace with a cup of cocoa and a good book. Any mayor of a town like London needs to work towards more then “peace.”

Based on recent history, I would say that peace is the largest, most unobtainable goal in election history–and that includes not only Mme Shoshana’s goals, but Southwark’s, too. Conflict is easy; avoiding it requires a master.

It is, therefore, both highly ambitious and a vast improvement on the current state of London–if she pulls it off.

[quote=asinineFlatfoot]Mrs. Plenty could have had my vote. She could have. She’s the candidate with the most experience managing a larger organization. Shoshana is just a fortune teller; Virginia is an academic/archeologist. Plenty has an entire carnival, run and maintained by her watchful eye.

She could have had my vote, if not for her campaign’s tagline: &quota moment of peace&quot. Peace? Is that all you offer us? Peace? Where is the ambition? Where is the promise of improvement? If you want a moment of peace, sit by the fireplace with a cup of cocoa and a good book. Any mayor of a town like London needs to work towards more then &quotpeace.&quot[/quote]

…myself I think more peace and less progress-for-the-sake-of-progress is precisely what London needs. Has this town even breathed since the Fall?

[quote=Teaspoon]…myself I think more peace and less progress-for-the-sake-of-progress is precisely what London needs. Has this town even breathed since the Fall?[/quote]It’s all too easy for me to envision Mrs. Plenty doing absolutely nothing in her entire mayoral term, other then use her power to grab more profit for her carnival. That’s what worries me about promises of &quotpeace&quot: it seems so close to a promise of idleness.

Compared to &quothi I’m a fearmonger&quot and &quothi I want your soul&quot I am not all that sure that idleness is the worst fate that could befall us!

Have you asked her how she intends to achieve her goal? It involves a great deal of work.

Have you asked her how she intends to achieve her goal? It involves a great deal of work.[/quote]
Yeah, a frankly suspicious amount of effort at that. And she even jokes in that same question storylet that everyone else will get some peace. but not her. Too busy doing all the things required to maintain said peace!
edited by Calliope Rannis on 7/21/2019

Though my vote will go elsewhere, I second that what Plenty is aiming at is a titanic endeavor. And if your city is at peace, then you yourself can strive for your personal goals.

This is a minor point, but asking Virginia about Mrs Plenty will imply fairly significantly that Mrs Plenty went far enough in her pursuit of appetite to stain her soul, at least once.

“Rest In Peace”? . . .

She also seems to imply that Madame Shoshana can see the future. I think that was mentioned in this thread already though.

I’m used to voting for the least popular candidate (last year notwithstanding), but honestly, it seems like this year I might end up having to vote tactically. And unlike the year I threw my support behind the DTC, a literal devil at the head of the city is even worse than a presbyterate spy, so I don’t think I can afford sitting back and letting things play out this time around.

Sorry Miriam, I bloody love you, but I can see absolutely no realistic chance for you. I’m going to think over my loyalties some more, but I might just have to throw my support behind Shoshana instead.

EDIT: Be as it may, I ended up just voting for who I liked most. Plus, she’s got the support of HAL.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 7/26/2019

So I used Mrs Plenty’s ten rep option. Apparently one of her plans is not to just give Mutton Island a public holiday, but to take a piece of mutton island back with her - one that would apparently give people ‘a real taste’ of the place. While this is framed as being used for an attraction in her Carnival, I do wonder what she could possibly bring back from Mutton Island that conveys how, ah, authentic Mutton Island is. And one wonders if this objective is entirely incidental to her attempts to hire her own cops on the streets and drive the ambassadors away, or if in fact the two are linked to a greater goal…

Y. &quotDrazzle&quot F. Psmyth here - with just a stray but significant tangent ::

-:- &quot&quot His Amused Lordship is managing Mrs Plenty’s campaign. &quot&quot -:-

. . . Does this inspire any speculation, perhaps among those better acquainted than i ?

• [HAL pal 3] / [Assoc’ w Rad’ Academics 3] … ((Just about to ponder The Seekers Of The Garden,further - quite immanently, in fact)) .?.?.?.

-:- Drazzle -:-

-:- VOTE Mme. SHOSHANA - THE SHY SPHYNX - And Never Be Riddled With Doubt Again !! -:-
edited by Doctor_Static on 7/27/2019

On the Surface, this is the most boring election campaign we ever had.
Underneath… it’s probably the most sinister.

After all, on the surface, a well just looks like a well.

While I don’t support her, I do think a Mayor Plenty would make this year’s Fruits of the Zee Festival very interesting indeed! (and of all FL Festivals, it’s the one most in need of a revamp)

I’m curious what the little vacation to Mutton Island entails…

For the curious…

It’s a bit enigmatic really, especially the phrase &quotToo late for most. But maybe one or two will remember a better time.&quot I got the impression Miriam feels as if the inhabitants of Mutton Island have been unjustly forgotten by London proper - due to the Well’s presence on the island, which isn’t their fault?

Her plans for her Mayorship seem to be mainly about bringing Mutton Island and London closer to each other again. The phrase &quottoo late for most&quot implies to me that she thinks most Island inhabitants will go down to a bad end if left to their own.

So, her Mayorship would probably focus a lot more on Mutton Island than on London, actually. But I’m not sure I’m reading any of this right.

While I’m not particularly passionate in my support for her, I don’t see any reason to change my affiliation. I really don’t think she means anyone harm. And she’d certainly make a more competent Mayor than poor confused Shoshana.
edited by Amélie Vaincœur on 7/28/2019

[quote=Doctor_Static]-:- &quot&quot His Amused Lordship is managing Mrs Plenty’s campaign. &quot&quot -:-

. . . Does this inspire any speculation, perhaps among those better acquainted than i ?[/quote]
They have history, going back a long way, which was revealed at Hallowmas… 2017, I think?

Anyway, here’s an echo of it.

It’s probably the most revealing storylet concerning how far Mrs Plenty went as a Seeker, and what she’s done… I guess HAL can’t bring himself to believe the worst, and keeps lingering around Mrs Plenty in hope for information, or at least closure.

Quite a sad story, really.