Election 1896: The Captivating Princess

[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)](Copying into this thread, too, because it applies to some of the things said here.)[/color]
[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]
[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]Dear lord.[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]- We knew the Princess would be an officer in Skies, and needed a new portrait for her.[/color]
[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]- Since we knew she was in Skies, we thought it’d be fun to use her more in Fallen london, too (we did this with some characters for Sea and Zubmariner too).[/color]
[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]- The art for her in Fallen London was very old, and the art department weren’t fond of it.[/color]
[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]- We asked the artist who did her Skies portrait to modify it into a Fallen London version representing her before the tumult of going into the heavens.[/color]
[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]- We specifically asked the artist to use the Skies portrait and modify it slightly, to make very clear it’s the same character. [/color]
[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]- This helps make the character consistent across both games. We hope, as happened with Sunless Sea, that Skies will bring new players to Fallen London, and we want them to recognise some faces.[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]I appreciate some players were fond of the old portrait. I’m afraid we weren’t, and this was a good opportunity to update it.[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]Any rude accusations of sloppiness or laziness will be treated exactly as the forum rules say they should be. I have zero problem with people critiquing our work, or preferring one piece of it to another. Everyone who works here has, without exception, had their heart broken when something we made wasn’t met with the resposne we hoped. That’s part of the job. Our audience is large and diverse, and different pieces of work are received with different amounts of enthusiasm by different people.[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]But I can tell you (through gritted teeth, because I am amazed it is necessary) that not one person at Failbetter - nor any of our freelancers or collaborators - is lazy. Everyone here busts their ass to provide the best stories, art, and games we can. You can critique the work without impugning our work ethic or diligence. If you want to do that, you can do it somewhere else.[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 153, 0)]I now return you to the shameful shennanigans and outrageous antics of election season.[/color]

[quote=Kaijyuu]Away from the art discussion for a moment…

Remember which princess we’re dealing with here. I honestly don’t know if she’ll follow the rules… any rules. What’s to stop her from taking the position by royal fiat? Or at the very least sending all her political opponents to some dungeon to be consumed by some monster (maybe her).

She’s a wee bit more… powerful than the previous candidates. She either has ulterior motives or finds this to be some sort of amusing game. Otherwise she’d just declare herself mayor right now and get it over with.[/quote]

I don’t think anyone could &quotdisappear&quot Slowcake when he exist as a social construct backed by Hell, though?

we do not stand over your heads every day watching you like hawks, and so our only way of appraising your work is the end result. though the general rule of thumb on any creative works is, if the end result looks sloppy, it probably is sloppy

Could still “disappear” his supporters.

Which might be nice if it happened to the Amanuensis…

[quote=gronostaj]

we do not stand over your heads every day watching you like hawks, and so our only way of appraising your work is the end result. though the general rule of thumb on any creative works is, if the end result looks sloppy, it probably is sloppy[/quote]

[color=#ff9900]Don’t post in the forums for two weeks. If you decide to return after then, abide by the forum rules. If you violate these requirements, we’ll delete your forum account.[/color]
edited by babelfishwars on 6/18/2018

-____-

Given that I’d rather not support a puppet from Hell or the inconsistencies of the Contrarian I suppose I’ll back the Princess this year.

And maybe someone that I support will actually win. 3rd times the charm.

Could still &quotdisappear&quot his supporters.

Which might be nice if it happened to the Amanuensis…[/quote]

Isn’t that way too many people, bees and goats to be &quotdisappearing’?

Never underestimate our dear Princess’s hunger.

My problem is that her eyes aren’t red. And I just generally imagined she wore red. Besides, a red background suits her.

It’s… the same person. I am totally fine with it being the same art with some tweaks. I was (and am) a fan of the old, ominous Captivating Princess, and I agree that this new, fresh-faced and innocent-looking Princess gives a different impression. That’s okay, though! Now she’s less overtly menacing, which is different but is also fine. London has enough overt monstrosities to fit some sweet-faced ones in too.

Don’t vote for her, though. That is not the kind of party, political or social, that you want roiling London for a year.

Eh, if there’s any critique to be made appearance wise it’s more due to the original Sunless Skies character being a departure from the old art of the Captivating Princess than the same image being used as a reference base for this updated image. I suspect part of the disorientation is from people who didn’t play Sunless Skies and so weren’t aware that the Princess was A. present in there and B. had a portrait that was that different.

Still, aesthetic shouldn’t be the basis for a vote, platform should be! And yes, no , the Princess’s platform is horrible. I’ve read what happens when her Appetite is allowed to take control. The masses of London should not be broken in body and mind to fulfill the hedonistic desires of one individual at the top.

Ironically, I think this is the only candidate that could be said to be backing a section of London in any capacity. Mr. Slowcake is Hell, the Jovial Contrarian has ties to the Revolutionaries and the Captivating Princess seems to want London’s magnificence restored (at everyone’s expense, but still…).

Kharagal eyes certain Factions she avoids associating with, the Crew of a certain ship she has dinner with once a week, certain pleasures she indulged in and remembers who she shared them with in the last Feast of the Rose.

I think I know who I’m supporting if simply because the other two candidates are worse…

I suspect at least half of the opinions between the old & new art are from the general difference in art direction that Fallen London has gone in over the past few years. There are distinct ‘eras’ of FL art that co-exist in the game, and the updating art also changes the ‘era’ which is the biggest clash.

Personally I found the old art for the Princess a little… restrained… for her supposed character. Or maybe her character has become less restrained in the more recent stories (my Ambition doesn’t cross her path). I get what people are saying about the subtle implications of the coloring and background, but the old art just doesn’t seem very Captivating. More Captive, if anything.

The new art looks like a gregarious, sociable, enthusiastic, high-energy person. Which is how she’s portrayed (at least, the face she puts on). The current portrait is more appropriate for someone who is actively pushing stories forward.

Her platform is still painful though.

I better get a red “Make London Magnificent Again” hat if I back her.

We need a pretty ruler! How is our city supposed to be pretty, if our ruler isn’t? Vote the Captivating Princess today!

All I really want to say is that her eyes are so wide open that it makes the lower eyelids look downright drooping. It’s eerily unnatural, and not in the “half-monstrous red-honey-consuming creepy thing” way, but more in the “are you alright, woman?” way.

Otherwise, I’m happy to accept the explanation that she’s not entirely a normal human, her eyes don’t have a defined colour, and she decided to appear more innocent than her usual femme fatale look for campaigning purposes, so there is a logical explanation to her changed look (unlike one other candidate, cough cough).

would prefer if the mayoral candidates were just a bit more evenly matched, the princess mayor seems like a forgone conclusion at this point.

I don;t mind the portraits at all, although they are a rather marked deviation from the regular FL style.
edited by Frenjamin Banklin on 6/18/2018

Echo to learn more about the captivating princess.
Wanted to go with her only for the madness, but &quotThis sounds like journalism. I shall ban journalists&quot is a no-no for me!

Next devilish candidate!

EDIT:
And echo if you try to upset her.
Hum, wonder if it has a rare success.
edited by Skinnyman on 6/18/2018