Election 1895: The Implacable Detective

[color=#cc0099]Sinning Jenny’s time is up, a new Mayor will be chosen! This week, we announce the three candidates who think they can do a better job. Whom will you support?

Today we announce the final candidate!

The Implacable Detective declared last, apparently she wanted full dossiers on her opponents before she’d enter the ring! She bears the slogan: “The Only Logical Conclusion!”

The Detective’s supporters march in trained formation. Many are Constables – or former Constables – and their steps recall old patrols along the cobblestones. Her frost blue banners are held aloft by Summerset professors. &quotLondon is rife with injustice. We need to take a firmer hand with the law.” Her eyes smoulder behind her glasses.

Tomorrow we’ll announce the full details of the festival, which will begin Monday the 26th of June and run for two weeks.[/color]

Aaaand I believe I have found my candidate.

Not ideal, but infinitely better than the other two choices.

Interesting. This is going to be a difficult decision.

hmm. now that all candidates have been made public, I think I can safely share a thought I’ve had.

Last year has shown an overwhelming support for Jenny, with the Contrarian a distant second and the Bishop trailing far behind. This year we’ve got another champion of the poor, with the other two candidates very closely associated with what is seen as powerful elites, be they societal or institutional.

I am aware the FL playerbase is bigger than these forums, but last year’s results pretty clearly show us they tend to skew towards the progressive end of the political spectrum, at least when it comes to fictional politics. I don’t really think there’s going to be much of a &quotrace&quot this year, with all those progressive votes going again to the candidate promising investment in those lower in the social hierarchy. If Failbetter wants a more even race, i.e. one where influencing opinions and working towards the advancement of a particular candidate matters more, they should consider having said candidates be more appealing to the broadest segment of their userbase (the previously mentioned social progressives). Otherwise it’ll be a slam dunk for a single side, every time.
edited by IHNIWTR on 6/22/2017

I see &quotThe Only Logical Conclusion&quot and I can’t help but think of Margret Thatcher’s &quotThere is no alternative.&quot

Just who does she think needs a firmer hand?

[quote=IHNIWTR]hmm. now that all candidates have been made public, I think I can safely share a thought I’ve had.

Last year has shown an overwhelming support for Jenny, with the Contrarian a distant second and the Bishop trailing far behind. This year we’ve got another champion of the poor, with the other two candidates very closely associated with what is seen as powerful elites, be they societal or institutional.

I am aware the FL playerbase is bigger than these forums, but last year’s results pretty clearly show us they tend to skew towards the progressive end of the political spectrum, at least when it comes to fictional politics. I don’t really think there’s going to be much of a &quotrace&quot this year, with all those progressive votes going again to the candidate promising investment in those lower in the social hierarchy. If Failbetter wants a more even race, i.e. one where influencing opinions and working towards the advancement of a particular candidate matters more, they should consider having said candidates be more appealing to the broadest segment of their userbase (the previously mentioned social progressives). Otherwise it’ll be a slam dunk for a single side, every time.
edited by IHNIWTR on 6/22/2017[/quote]
Um, how the hell is Feducci the progressive choice? He’s preaching a &quotdog eat dog&quot order.

I don’t think this is a straightforward conclusion. We only have one data point (i.e. Jenny won).

You don’t know if that’s because of her approach to social issues. It might just be that most players (which we on the forums do not represent) simply thought that Jenny was a cooler character (kick ass nun, etc.) and thus more appealing.

I honestly wasn’t sure which candidate was the progressive one until I reread your post more carefully. From the little we’ve seen of their policies, they seem to be an individualist free marketeer, a paternalist reformer, and a strict law-and-order type. All quite different to Jenny’s platform.

Or maybe because Jenny, like Feducci, is referred to by name rather than [Adjective] [Noun].

Possibly.

Feducci is also significantly more familiar to players than the other two candidates. Regardless of platform, he has a huge advantage already just based on name-recognition and past interactions in the game.

Possibly.

Feducci is also significantly more familiar to players than the other two candidates. Regardless of platform, he has a huge advantage already just based on name-recognition and past interactions in the game.[/quote]
A lot of that familiarity is very negative though :P As in, he’s that jerk who you have to do an insane grind in order to fight, kills you if you fail the check, and won’t stay dead.

Unless the mechanics are significantly different from last year, I won’t get invested much this time round. Don’t feel like grinding Notability and a dozen flash lays or short stories. But I’m definitely backing Feducci, if only because having a foreign agent as mayor would be hilarious! :P

Another fantastic candidate and the best portrait amongst three great ones. The candidate of the elite.

[quote=Anne Auclair]Um, how the hell is Feducci the progressive choice? He’s preaching a &quotdog eat dog&quot order.[/quote]The progressive choice is obviously the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner (the temperance movement was an important strain of early feminism with explicit objectives for improving the welfare of women and children), though I wonder if many modern progressives will recognise her. Feducci is not a progressive candidate, he’s a liberal candidate, and at this time liberal meant free trade, which was not generally favoured by the elite monopolists.
edited by Frederick Metzengerstein on 6/22/2017

That’s subjective.

Instead, some see him as the cool guy who runs a secret club of duelists, and rewards you for fighting and winning. He never encourages you to actually challenge him (and you really don’t have to. Even from a mechanics point of view, you can just challenge the others to progress).

And if you do decide to challenge him, of course he’ll be more formidable than the others. So either you acknowledge his awesomeness as a fighter, or actually manage to beat him (and feel a sense of accomplishment).

While I think he’d be a bad choice for Mayor (as a foreign agent), I’ve never had a negative interaction with the guy.

Ouch, the choice turns harder now.

True historically, but in Fallen London gender issues are not what they were in 19th century Britain.

So, in this case, I can’t see her campaign to be much about women’s rights, but more about, well, Temperance (whether for moderation or for abstinence).

In any case, not the Progressive choice (unless she’ll show us multiple causes she supports).

Just like the real election we just had, I don’t like any of the candidates!

I’m not seeing this progressive candidate mentioned above. What I see is a busy-body, moralising conservative, a law-and-order conservative, and a small-government &quotlet’s get rid of all the rules so the elite can prosper&quot conservative.

Saying you’ll help the poor doesn’t make you a progressive. Everyone says that, because they want the poor’s vote.

I honestly wasn’t sure which candidate was the progressive one until I reread your post more carefully. From the little we’ve seen of their policies, they seem to be an individualist free marketeer, a paternalist reformer, and a strict law-and-order type. All quite different to Jenny’s platform.[/quote]
More like three different philosophies: the Unconfined (Feducci), the Legacy of the Anchoress (DTC), and the Implacable Method (the Detective).

I was just about to post that myself! I never would have latched on to the Bishop, Jenny and the Contrarian following the Celestial/Bazaarine/Nocturnal schools if Jenny’s followers hadn’t been described as including Bazaarine poets. Well, this year, they’ve made things that bit easier for us.