Election 1895: The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner

Not all anti-Masters sentiment comes from anarchists, y’know? A cardigan-wearing, church-going, tea-drinking respectable sort like the Campaigner might still have every reason for opposing Wines’ influence on London.[/quote]

Sorry, the person who died use to be a revolutionary, so there is a connection with the them, and she does display knowledge of the revolutionary hierarchy.

Not all anti-Masters sentiment comes from anarchists, y’know? A cardigan-wearing, church-going, tea-drinking respectable sort like the Campaigner might still have every reason for opposing Wines’ influence on London.[/quote]

Sorry, the person who died use to be a revolutionary, so there is a connection with the them, and she does display knowledge of the revolutionary hierarchy.[/quote]

Oh… I was just told that she also appeared in Sunless Sea, bought live specimens and set them free, &quotI never did like to see anything locked up&quot… that does sound a little… revolutionary.

(EDIT: Now I’m going to support her. She somehow reminds me of a book of nonsense… I will wait and see. Maybe she is, probably is not and again my overthinking. But even then we will have something interesting from her.)
edited by Fadewalker on 6/22/2017

I think this is coming up to my third year playing, and . . .

. . . I have no clue about her aside from the name, either.

I half-suspect I may have conflated her with the Duchess, although I can at least tell you about the Duchess, such as from various EF stories and certain opportunity cards and storylets. I’ve played through all EF stories, so - unless she was in one of the few I disliked - I’m not sure why she hasn’t let a lasting memory or impression. It’s a complete blank.

Part of why I’m interested in her as a candidate. I’d like to learn more about her. It’s always good to be introduced to ‘new’ characters, as it adds more to the world and lore and makes the game feel more ‘real’. Here’s hoping we get some good snippets about her.[/quote]

If I recall correctly, she had some minor role in Heart, Devil and Zee, March’s ES.

Blast. I will not vote for the DTC. And Feducci? Master of the Black Ribbon? I have nothing against a good thumping, but somebody who ‘claims that only a duel to the [true] death can make him feel alive’ shouldn’t be given political power. I do hope the third candidate is more palatable to the Scandalously inclined. [li][/li]
edited by Lady Sapho Byron on 6/21/2017

Especially if that someone – who encourages people to fight to the (real) death, and campaigns under the slogan &quotfair game; fair play&quot – is secretly (practically) immortal.

[quote=Lady Sapho Byron]Blast. I will not vote for the DTC. And Feducci? Master of the Black Ribbon? I have nothing against a good thumping, but somebody who ‘claims that only a duel to the [true] death can make him feel alive’ shouldn’t be given political power. I do hope the third candidate is more palatable to the Scandalously inclined. [li][/li]
edited by Lady Sapho Byron on 6/21/2017[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly! If Sinning Jenny can’t run for re-election, why not the Illuminated Gentleman? He does have foreign policy experience, after all. My Bohemian would jump at the chance to volunteer for that campaign - she usually has to pay for his company, and his rates are not cheap.

I’ll give the DTC this though: I find her a more palatable representative of society and the religiously-inclined than the Bishop was. But we’ll see how things develop. I might have to see if I can do some investigating into the campaigns before I pick someone to back this time around.

Agreed. The former is no fun and the latter won’t stay dead even after I cut him to ribbons. I do hope the third is more fun, but I fear this year will be rather a doughty one for the bohemien crowd. Best we can do is vote for whoever affects the usual fun the least. Which means anyone but DTC probably.

[quote=Sir Joseph Marlen]The plot twist halfway through the election will be that she once sat amongst the ranks of the bohemians or maybe even Mr. Veils’s girls, I’m calling it right now.

Joking aside, I’m glad to see the Campaigner’s return to relevance and a fresh art piece to boot! However, I’m not sure I’m comfortable voting for the antithesis of Jenny’s ideals. If there’s something I dislike more than a morally ambiguous immortal working for distant eldritch forces, it’s pressuring temperance and enforcing black/white morality. Still, I can’t wait to see the full extent of her campaign.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 6/21/2017[/quote]

I am certain that there will be a dire revelation on the part of the DTC during the campaign. Perhaps she cuts her tea with laudanum, who knows?

I agreed with Anne’s recommendation of the Campaigner – but on the idea that she’d favor rights for Clay Men, Rubberies, Rattus Faber, and so forth! This does not say anything about any of that! shakes fist WHERE’S MY EMANCIPATION CAMPAIGN, MISSY?!

I have to say I don’t know this character. While i’m all for temperance, it must be a willing choice to be effective at all really. Right now between Feducchi and her, I would rather campaign against both.

Temperance how? Surely she can’t mean giving up alcohol, because it’s the only thing down here that’s safe to drink. Mr Wines doesn’t bother dealing in water, and if the wells which can be found in-game are any indication, the Neath’s groundwater is rather less than free of contamination. I don’t know what it’s like to drink the moon and/or Mr Eaten, and I want to keep it that way. What are we supposed to do, collect stalactite drippings and die of glim-cancer? Down here, fermented and slightly poisonous is about as safe as beverages can get. Yes, there’s tea and coffee, but boiling requires heat, and heat requires fuel. Hauling around a stove to ensure you don’t get horrid subterranean worms in your tea would be a terrible inconvenience, and more demand for fuel is more power to Hell and Mr Fires. Prisoner’s honey is a much better target for temperance campaigners than wine. Sunlight as well, but that stuff’s already quite prohibited.

Unless the third candidate is the Bishop of Southwark she has my vote this year.

Also, for those seeking an emancipation campaign. The &quotFor Everybody&quot may imply such a goal.
edited by TeslaWalker on 6/21/2017

This one seems the complete opposite of Jenny, and she should really really take advantage of that and try to get support from Jenny’s detractors.

Considering FL’s playerbase there’s no way in hell she’s getting elected, but her platform would make sense in a more realistic environment.

You’ll have to pry my stash of mirrorlight boxes from my stiff, scorched, perma-dead hands!

I’d be willing to support a candidate that was fighting for all of London’s citizens (regardless of race, gender, species, ect.), but it’s things like this that I think will turn most people away. She’s a very capable woman and would make an admirable mayor, it’s just that she also happens to have restrictive ideas that most likely won’t align with the fanbase’s sensibilities.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 6/21/2017

[quote=Aberrant Eremite]
I agree wholeheartedly! If Sinning Jenny can’t run for re-election, why not the Illuminated Gentleman?[/quote]

That would be splendid! Now there is a candidate I could get und–that is–behind.

For those who want to recall where they might have met that lady, here are some of the occasions:

Literary Ambition in Spite, where she paid for your Hymns to Sobriety;
Time in Bed in your Lodgings, where she brought you a potato-soup for your recovery;
Mock an Insufferable Poseur in Singing Mandrake, you quickly fled from her exceptionally loud voice;
The Heart, the Devil and the Zee, where she led a group of campaigners singing &quotGin is Sin&quot to the newly-opened gin pub;
Rose-Market in Sunless Sea, she bought your captain’s live specimens and set them free (by the way, she came here for a protest of honey. Always.);
(Particularly, if you have sold your soul and tried to cover the melancholy with quite a lot of wines, you might have once fallen into her arms and been beaten on the head then. What a fantastic encounter.)

Enthusiastic, generous, conservative, and as undefeatable as your aunt. She has made so many appearances while I can hardly recall any of them clearly without wikia. (A natural assassin! Gifted spy! A campaigner?!) Well, I’m considering voting her for potato-soups.
edited by Fadewalker on 6/21/2017

Oddly enough, and despite my earlier assertion, between Feducci and the DTC I would be forced to support the DTC … she probably won’t work to undermine London itself and, as Mayor, she would provide me no end of inspiration for pernicious poetry and scurrilous editorializing.

[li]

I’m actually considering voting for this old bird. If she becomes Mayor and prohibits alcohol, I’ll make a heap of coin out of smuggling spirits for thirsty dockers and the like.

Think of the honeydens! How much do you think people will pay to visit Parabola again?

Veilgarden will turn into a very respectable place, that’s for sure.