Effective grinding, stats 80+

[li]Hi All!
I would like your suggestions for effective grinding of stats when they are in the 80+ range.

One activity suggestion that I would like to pass along is for grinding both Watchful and Dangerous with the same action cost. There is a task at Watchmaker Hill -> Deal with Unfinished men -> Root out the unfinished men that gets 1CP (at straightforward risk)
for watchful and dangerous along with 54 rostygold. Not bad getting two different stat changes for 1 action.

Another very effective action for dangerous (when it is below 50) is to do the Worryingly large Rat contract at the Dept of Menace Eradication on Watchmakers hill.

Anyone know of any compilation that lists the more effective actions available for each stat range, that get better than 1 cp per action (at straightforward risk)?

All my stats are 80+ so getting one change point per action is getting painfully slow. Does it speed up at some point, or is it a painfully slow slog up to max stat? (200 is the max, right?)

I think you should be doing things at 70/60/50 % chance for higher CP payouts. Guaranteed success is nice because no menace risk, but it is awfully slow to have to get 1 CP per action. Living stories and using second chances at your lodgings are very quick. Are you a POSI yet? You should be able to get enough equipment to boost everything from ~80 to 100. Once you reach POSI new opportunities and challenges will open up. Gaining stats after that for me has been a side-effect of grinding for valuables. I have so many things to do with the stats I have, so I don’t see the need to look for ways to grind them up.

[quote=Frensus]I think you should be doing things at 70/60/50 % chance for higher CP payouts. Guaranteed success is nice because no menace risk, but it is awfully slow to have to get 1 CP per action.
Are you a POSI yet? [/quote]

[li]No, not POSI yet…don’t I need all stats 100+ for POSI? (thus the grinding)

I’m have not seen any analysis showing that doing riskier things and gaining menace is actually more efficient action-wise, versus grinding at 100% success rates. Menaces add up quick, and getting rid of them seems very costly in action point terms.

Seeking Curios in the Forgotten Quarter has options that will raise all four stats, there is a watchful/shadowy option; a watchful/persuasive option and a persuasive/dangerous one, but you are likely to end up with a lot of nightmares and more watchful than anything else.

[quote=jt2

[li]No, not POSI yet…don’t I need all stats 100+ for POSI? (thus the grinding)

I’m have not seen any analysis showing that doing riskier things and gaining menace is actually more efficient action-wise, versus grinding at 100% success rates. Menaces add up quick, and getting rid of them seems very costly in action point terms.[/quote]

[/li]You do need 100 in all stats to be POSI, but they don’t have to be base 100, and they don’t have to all be 100 at the same time. You can boost them up with equipment to fill the requirements, and +20 should be no trouble at this point.

[quote=jt2]

[li]No, not POSI yet…don’t I need all stats 100+ for POSI? (thus the grinding).[/quote]
Skill level with clothing will suffice =)[/li]

[quote=jt2]I’m have not seen any analysis showing that doing riskier things and gaining menace is actually more efficient action-wise, versus grinding at 100% success rates. Menaces add up quick, and getting rid of them seems very costly in action point terms.[/quote]90% is the magic number: 2 CP for success, and just 10% failures, which you should be able to handle. Wounds are easily cured through a lot of different options, and one of them is to simply rob the cavalry officer in Spite for Map Scraps, Tasselled Sword-Canes and half-full bottles of Tincture of Vigour. Use items to increase/lower your stats to exactly 90% or slightly lower. And get some training from the Dockers, the Tomb-Colonists and the Revolutionaries now that you’re at 71+.

I’m a fairly recent PoSI and got through these levels myself with some help from storylets that either had no attached menaces or provided a cure, such as:

Shadowy: Entertain the Topsy King (Flit)
Watchful: Enjoying the pace of academic life -> Read books (University)
Persuasive: Romance -> Attend courtly functions (Court)

I’ve been looking for a way to lower my wounds with a bit less trouble and …

What’s this… rob a … oh, my, never saw this before