Echo Bazaar-related fanart

[quote=Audrey Shae]Holy beans, Boyd, that video was so cool! And adorable.

And a contest sounds fun! Would it be the kind of contest with a deadline and a judge or the kind of contest that is just a smorgasbord of fun, because just putting this out here now, I love smorgasbords.
edited by Audrey Shae on 12/20/2011[/quote]

I love smörgåsbord too! :) (I’m a swede, of course I do)
Well, my idea was this, once we get enough submissions, I’ll prolly call for a “last call” deadline so that noone feels they’ve missed it, then I’ll throw up a poll and the one who gets the most votes gets a pat on the back, the rest gets exposure and recognition and we all get a visual depiction of Fallen London seen trough the eyes of the talented artists who play it, sounds good enough?

[quote=Boyd Cantigaster]Hello delicious friends. It’s good to see others who’ve taken up the brush.

[/quote]

Your art is AWESOME, Boyd. The video rocked, and I liked the style of the other image, I was reminded of 50s illustrations.

Those are some rockin’ posters.

(real media, watercolor pencils)

If there is anything I want to have included in Echo Bazaar, it’s rollerblades. These kind of rollerskates where not unheard of in victorian times (though they didn’t get popular until the early 1900s), and I am just endlessly amused by that fact, I honestly thought they had jsut made up that part in the book “the diffrence engine”…

Your owl is not of the bifurcated variety, is he? It would not be surprising considering his fondness for terrible secrets.
edited by Patrick Reding on 12/21/2011
edited by Patrick Reding on 12/21/2011

You are too sweet, petals.
And what inspiration you’ve given me. I’ve been in a bit of an artist’s slump recently.
But last night I drew around four scenes based on my travels in Fallen London.

Before I go posting any, there is no spoiler tag implemented yet is there?

Well if there is, please let me know.

In the meantime:

[color=00ffff]Spoilered for Plaster Face Content[/color]

More to come, over the week. You may notice this is very different from what I posted last, as I am away from my usual workspace over the holidays.

I must say that everything else posted has been amazing. Some very witty situations being depicted by Owlor in particular.

As for a contest, I would be willing to help out in anyway I can. And I would like to offer a free commission to the winner/participants.
edited by TheBoyd on 12/21/2011

[quote=Owlor]I love smörgåsbord too! :) (I’m a swede, of course I do)
Well, my idea was this, once we get enough submissions, I’ll prolly call for a “last call” deadline so that noone feels they’ve missed it, then I’ll throw up a poll and the one who gets the most votes gets a pat on the back, the rest gets exposure and recognition and we all get a visual depiction of Fallen London seen trough the eyes of the talented artists who play it, sounds good enough?[/quote]

Yes that sounds delightful! I need to get scribbling more.

(And by the way the roller skate owl is so cute I’m going to die.)
edited by Audrey Shae on 12/21/2011

Next in the series.

I decided this didn’t deserve a spoiler tag. It’s both early content, and not obvious at all what is being spoiled.
There is a description on the deviantart page linked to in the picture, which could be considered spoilery.
edited by TheBoyd on 12/21/2011

I do hate to double post, but there is a significant time difference between these.

3rd out of 4.

Nothing spoiled unless I’m mistaken. Reference to the Game of Knife and Candle.

Before it was taken out of the game there was a long stretch of time when I had hit the content cap, and I chose to invest my time and echoes into the Game. Truthfully at that time the rewards where extremely low based on echos-per-action, but somehow I really enjoyed the gameplay of it all, and really miss it.

It’s the sole reason I bought my Vakeskin Boots.
edited by TheBoyd on 12/22/2011

I really like the second one there, nice, intense picture.

And Boyd, that sounds like a good idea, if you’re up for it. Allright, since the idea of a contest seems to be popular, I’d like to know which images are going to participate, so to those who have already posted, what image do you want to enter into the contest? (I’d say, at most two per artist, prefferably one, but let’s not be too fuzzed about it) As for the rest, the deadline willl be… some time next year, there’s no need to rush.

(Drawn from witness testimony)

Excerpt from a police report:

…the rather haunted-looking devil waved his hands frantically as he was met with scepticism. “I know what I saw”, he said “I was out for a smoking break (he left it unclear if he was reffering to pipe smoking or if hej sut went out to spontaneously emit smoke --secretary’s note) and I saw a five-feet tall owl with waxed moustace,chestnut hair and a rather tasteful black dress, he was scaling down the side of the wall, and when I went to alert the guards, he was all gone!”
“This owl”, I asked him politely “didn’t happen to be of the bifurcated variety, wouldn’t he?”, there was a snort form the devil.
“I doubt he would ever be seen wearing womens clothes”, he said “at least not in public”.
I shrugged, the strange thing was not the report itself, odder things have happened and happens every day in Fallen London, but rather that reports of the exact same thing, with minor variation, had been filed no less than 30 times the last month. Taken into account that these are just the cases reported, which may just be a thiny fraction of all the cases, it’d mean that someone, presumably a chestnut-haired owl, have repeatedly robbed from the Brass Embassy, a place that is generally considered impossible to rob, while wearing a sober womens dress, the question of “why?” is anybodys guess.
“Only two months left until retirement”, I thought to myself as I ordered my files.

From the diary of Jack Owlfisher:[i][i]

[i]Tonights “rendez vous” went well, my cunning plan worked perfectly. However, I am afraid that I was spotted by a devil. Fortunently he was too busy questioning his sanity and I had ample time to get away. The dress was a stroke of genius on my part, even if I get spotted, noone will connect the break-in to that noted gentleman detective, Jack Owlfisher. They shouldn’t worry, though, they will get their souls back in time. Only 13 456 souls left until I can get acess to a room at the Brass Embassy, I can already taste the mulled breakfast brandy and the infernal cigars. Oh the things a gentleman have to go trough to get decent lodgings around here…

[/i][/i][/i]

Hilarious, Owlor! Keep up the good work.

That picture is quite fantastic. Love the bottled soul. I do love my room at the embassy and would recommend it to anyone. Oddly enough, though it was the first top-tier lodging that I wanted to get, it ended up being the last.

And thus has the community grown twenty percent cooler.

-c.

I was waiting for someone to get that. Now my twitching can finally stop!
edited by Audrey Shae on 12/24/2011

Good evening, Fallen Londoners, I hope that you all survived the visit from Mr. Sacks and that you where able to learn some juicy secrets. Since the contest have officially started, I’d like the people who havealready posted to tell me which pictures they’d like to submit (at most a couple for each artist), and I encourage those who haven’t drawn anything to submit, some guidelines:

1. The theme is “the citizens of Fallen London”, however, its intended to be inspiring rather than restrictive, the theme is for you to interpet as you wish.

2. The winner will be decided by poll, and Boyd volunteered to do a drawing for the winner, and I guess if Boyd submit anything and wins, or changes his mind, I’ll do a drawing for the winner. But winning isn’t as important as having fun.

3. Don’t stress it, the deadline is set to “somewhere in 2012”, and even that is flexible. The community is still young and people are just settling in, this is intended more as an oppertunity to showcase the art and artists of Fallen London than anything else.

4. Be creative, “art” is a broad term, and I am unlikely to be picky. Chances are just about anyone could participate with at least something.

Have I forgotten anything? I hope not.

[quote=KatarinaNavane]My humble contribution:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
edited by KatarinaNavane on 12/20/2011[/quote]

OMG. I’m a sucker for any art made with old books and this is no exception. Very well done. I especially like the guy on the right.

Thank you, Miss Perivale! I use old books very often in my works, if anyone cares to investigate my deviant art gallery: http://katarinanavane.deviantart.com/

I apologize for my apparent inability to figure out how to post pictures here. If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

I don’t think these cards are yet my entry to Owlor’s contest unless I can enter a few, because I’m working on ‘tarot’ deck (inventing my own cards rather than using traditional ones) and a number of my cards are ebz inspired. The project has just begun though, so it may be some time before any of the cards are finished enough to enter.

EBZ-inspired Tarot cards? Now those I am just itching to see. :D

Maybe you guys can help keep me motivated to get this done! The following is the list of cards I’m currently planning (I’d like to do far more but gotta start somewhere) with X’s next to the ones I have finished pencil sketches for. After the sketches they’re getting inked, then watercoloured, then adding some sort of elaborate borders. Not all the cards are ebz related, many are more personal.

A Game of Chess []
What the Thunder Said [X]
The Burial of the Dead []
The Fire Sermon [X]
Death by Water [X]
The Thief of Knowledge []
The Master [X]
The Angels[X]
The Devils [X]
Danse Macabre []
The Clockwork Doll[]
Tentacles [X]
The Umbrella [X]
The Winged Serpent [X]
The Phoenix [X]
The Undersea Forest[X]
The Copper Rose [X]
Fiddler’s Green [X]
The Skeleton Key [partialX]
The Apothecary []

I’m also toying with other ideas for cards. I’m considering The Fisher King, and The Sextant. If you all have any bright ideas about what would fit in well, I’m open to suggestions. I’m thinking about (eventually) a full deck worth of major arcana type cards such as these since they’re far more fun than boring old suits to draw.
edited by KatarinaNavane on 1/2/2012