Eater of Names?

I’be killed the EoN twice. It spawns next to the chelonate.

Hahaha, I just did the same. And the more I think about and look into it, the more I think you must be right.

There’s absolutely nothing in the autosave file which references in any way the two different tilesets in tiles.json, only the minor variations.

It also seems to be limited to the geography folder - if you look at stuff in entities/constants/encyclopaedia, they all have the same number of entries. So it seems odd they’d have an entirely separate way to import data for the geography that was broken.

Either way, if the import files should be the masters (which presumably they should) it seems like they don’t want us to have eater/prophet/etc at the moment.

What version of the game are you running and are you up to date with stories? And has it been in the last few days?
edited by SporksAreGoodForYou on 2/18/2015

Well who knows, i’ve just directly aske them if they are aware of the behaviour and if it’s intended.

Let’s wait.

Thanks, I really want to see some of these tougher critters. Let us know if they respond.

Ah. I see. It’s not that they have duplicate entries, it’s that each Tile has several subtiles that are arranged randomly. So every game has all four of the Saviour’s Rocks/Gossamer Way variations, just in a different orientation. Now the question is, how is spawning controlled? I went to Gossamer Way after deleting my Tiles.json and Tiles_import.json, but rather than encounter a Tree of Ages or even a crab there was… nothing. No monsters anywhere. Not in the Chelonate either, or the Empire of Hands, or Kingeater’s Castle. I did see a few enemies on the way over, so it wasn’t that the whole map was devoid of foes.

Edit: What I wrote above is wrong. Go with what others have said.

Supposedly the Tree of Ages is a rare spawn, but I don’t see anything either in Spawned Entities or Tiles that would control this.

edited by Olorin on 2/18/2015

“Dynamic Tiles” have different orientation, three for tiles. Whit the “imported” *.json they have SIX, but that’s probably an oddity, since there is not any obvious way to choose between the first three and the others three, since they have the same names.
For “static” (Carnelian Coasts) it’s the same, but they have just TWO (probably “duplicated”) tiles.

For ToA and EoN i don’t know, i’ve not checked yet, we must assume that the spawn could be 0 or 1, so it possibile in that precise moment there was no monster at all.
But this method definitively work for Bluprophets and Behemustache (i notice it changed also some tiles distribution so the Lighship north of Hunter’s keep it’s north of the Crying height and of course there MORE location that could be discovered, like a thicket between port carnelian and crying heights , some abyss and other stuff).

we don’t know which “settings” is the intended one, but it seems obvious to me that an oddity is present.

I can reliably spawn the eater by switching out the crab spawn data and dropping in the eater data from the second set of chelonate entries. It doesn’t come every time - I’d say something like 75%. Presumably there’s something in the game itself which is controlling spawn rates for certain creatures more directly, if they’re spawned. Didn’t look for moustaches, but saw some prophets and dropped them into the wiki.

Interestingly, in the events file (and spawn file), there’s reference to some milliner bats, and while it’s used in the Sea of Wings tile, that tile is never loaded, because it isn’t in any of the tilesets (orange, red, etc).

But yeah, there’s something off here.
edited by SporksAreGoodForYou on 2/18/2015

Wasn’t there some kind of MaxSpawnPopulation setting? Or am I just thinking of MaxTradeEntityPopulation. I’m running the beta, and they said they fixed the excessive spawning somehow… I’m wondering if that’s part of why I’m not seeing anything in a lot of tiles.

Sure. Most zones have a max spawn pop of 2. A few go a little higher, but there’s clearly something off with that too, since I’m not on the beta, and it’s still in there, but not working.

But in the Chelonate, you get the crab and the fluke and that’s it. There’s literally no way to spawn the eater. If you open up your autosave file, you can see in the tilesettings “discovered spawnpoints” or something like that. And it loads those in directly from the first set of 44 tiles in tiles.json. So if you like, you can replace all of them with eater, and you’ll see eaters everywhere. Hurrah!

There’s so many things where I don’t know if the devs don’t know there is a problem or if its a design choice. The lack of spawn of the big bads, the inability to pirate ships, and so on.

DiscoveredSpawnPoints are just the entities you’ve seen in that area, and gotten the Fragments from. Other things can still spawn.

Well, not really. You can’t discover more spawnpoints than exist in the raw tiles.

Running out to a meeting, but just pulled down the update, and it appears to have fixed the eater/prophet/behe problems.

Looked into the files, yes, now the entries are duplicated but at least are the same.
However i still think it’s a messed up way of merging files.

I’ve never seen any of the boss monsters, other than Mt. Nomad, and I’ve been playing since the game came to steam.

I can confirm that I’ve seen (and killed) the eater for the first time since the update. Now to see if I can find the spider ship!

Came across the eater of names today, killed it pretty easily but I had MM equipped. Running latest update in steam. Took the figurehead option, I’ve no idea what you might get for checking for treasure.

curiosity box, 30-50 range. Not really worth it, compared to the figurehead, which is a guaranteed 250.

Spider ship:

edited by SporksAreGoodForYou on 2/20/2015

the link Eater of Names - Official Sunless Sea Wiki
rare spawn near the Gant pole