Dressing for Success? - Engraved Pewter Tankard+

I have a couple concerns I was hoping to talk about with the esteemed and knowledgeable gentlefolk of the forum. My apologies for my ignorance.

I’ve run into a problem. Using the Engraved Pewter Tankard to increase my Renown with the Docks requires certain high amounts of Dangerous stat. The highest I can seem to get my Dangerous is 259, meaning I can’t make the last 8 levels of Renown Docks, as the amount of Dangerous necessary will continue to increase. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get enough of the four stats to complete any Renown challenge? I’m fairly sure I have the best items the shop can provide. (W74, S55, D59, P55).

Have I missed something? I think there was a way to get Notability converted to stats, somewhere, but then a person could no longer visit the Nadir, or pick some card options, and that would only add +11ish points to a given stat, meaning you still couldn’t make it to 50 Renoun (I think that would get you to 44-45?). Following this option, I would also be curious as the best way to grind Notability, in case this conversion is still possible.

Related to the topic of Renown, I’ve only seen a couple of people estimate what each Connected faction will need points-wise to cap out at 50 immediately (much preferred, as it looks like it’s impossible for the average player to reach certain Renown levels). What is your estimate on how much to shoot for in Connected to each group?

More for anyone else not up as high as you, but one should be able to do &quotA Funeral for Shipwreck Joe&quot until you get to renown 8. Then &quotA Disturbance on the Docks&quot will take you up through Renown 14. After that, Renown at 15+ should be using &quotReturn of the Lovestruck Maenad.&quot

Does the Maenad cap out at some point?

I’ve never done the &quotDrinks with a Ballerina&quot I thought it only shifted quirks around instead of increasing Renown.
edited by absimiliard on 7/29/2016

Reknown 50 is known to be practically impossible without starting with a high level connected (there’s some formulas to estimate it, but solidly over 300 I believe).

For this particular problem, have you considered a different profession with a +12 bonus? For Dangerous in particular there were items available through Knife and Candle which gave much higher bonuses, which could be why few people have mentioned this problem.

Over-capping, which is to say raising one of your main stats above 200 requires you to specialize (look at Unfinished Business). It will consume your Notablity which will add to your score for a max of 215 (200+15). The major thing to note is that you cannot change your specialization. As the Nadir automatically decreases your stats when you leave it, it’s advisable to avoid it if you are overcapped.
edited by Parelle on 7/29/2016

Renown is capped at 50 for all fractions. Since one of the prerequisites is one of your attributes (Dangerous in case of the Docks) coupled with Renown, you need that attribute at 300 to get to Renown 50.
As far as I know it’s currently not possible to get to Renown 50 for precisely the reasons Brin described. You might get a little further using buff cards (&quotA little omen&quot / &quotA dusty bookshop&quot) but even those won’t get you to 50. If you see someone with &quotRenown: The Docks 50&quot they’ve got it because the had so much &quotConnected: The Docks&quot at the time of the conversion (~ level 300) that it converted to Renown 50.

The buff cards so mentioned are Moods: they’re hats worth +30 in a given stat which work for an hour. The cards are rare (and share pictures with fairly common cards, so watch out) but they can provide quite a boost.

Unless it was fixed recently, the mood cards are unavailable currently due to its interaction with the app.

They were reintroduced after they were retired for app reasons, I remember using some for SMEN. Haven’t seen one in a while, though, but I suspect that’s just the RNG.
edited by Barselaar on 7/29/2016

[quote=Parelle]Reknown 50 is known to be practically impossible without starting with a high level connected…
For this particular problem, have you considered a different profession with a +12 bonus? For Dangerous in particular there were items available through Knife and Candle…
Over-capping, which is to say raising one of your main stats above 200 requires you to specialize (look at Unfinished Business). It will consume your Notablity which will add to your score for a max of 215 (200+15). The major thing to note is that you cannot change your specialization…
[/quote]

Thank you very much. I’m greatly disheartened by what you’ve said, but at least you gave me the straight of it…
The best K&C item for Dangerous, actually, is a weapon, so it can’t be used at the same time as the Monster Hunter Dangerous bonus, which is also a weapon (a harpoon to be exact). I would have to repeat this for Criminals and Shadowy, and there simply doesn’t seem to be as awesome of Shadowy weapons and gear as there is of everything else.
Thank you likewise for explaining overcapping a little more. It sounds like it would be a fruitless endeavor and my obsession of completion will simply have to remain unsatisfied. I am so disappointed about this not being possible…Why would they make a goal that isn’t possible?

I’m trying to get over 300 in everything right now, thank you. I’ve been grinding nothing but Connections, and ignoring everything else essentially, since Criminals/Docks happened. If I’ve read correctly, people heard somewhere that Urchins are the next one to be changed? I’m not even sure the best way to grind Urchins, besides sacrificing Hell and Widow.

[quote=rahv7]Renown is capped at 50 for all fractions. Since one of the prerequisites is one of your attributes (Dangerous in case of the Docks) coupled with Renown, you need that attribute at 300 to get to Renown 50.
As far as I know it’s currently not possible to get to Renown 50 for precisely the reasons Brin described. You might get a little further using buff cards (&quotA little omen&quot / &quotA dusty bookshop&quot) but even those won’t get you to 50. If you see someone with &quotRenown: The Docks 50&quot they’ve got it because the had so much &quotConnected: The Docks&quot at the time of the conversion (~ level 300) that it converted to Renown 50.[/quote]

Ah, thank you for more specific numbers, and mention of the cards. I’d forgotten about them, though there appears to be a debate on if they actually can be drawn still.

Looking into it, getting to Renown 50 requires a modified 294 in the relevant stat. This is because the required level is 6 x (current renown) and the highest you’ll have while using the option is Renown 49.

As a result, it is possible to get to Renown 50 via any stat. However, with the best items that currently exist, only Watchful can be raised high enough without a PoSI specialization and overcapping*. Therefore getting to Renown 50 for a faction will prevent getting to Renown 50 for factions using most other stats, at least until better items are added. Even with overcapping, it requires a mood and some combination of exclusive (from professions, destinies, etc) and Fate-locked items.

*It is technically possible with current items to reach Renown 50 in factions reliant on three different stats. This would require near-max Watchful bonuses, a Persuasive or Shadowy specialization, and repeated use of Fate-locked content to raise Dangerous. Specifically, in the exceptional story Flint, playing on hardmode and taking an optional and painful action instantly sets the player’s Dangerous to 102.5% of its value at the time. Three uses of this starting at Dangerous 200 would result in the player having a base Dangerous of 215, equivalent to the maximum overcapping from specialization.

Edit: Mood cards can definitely be drawn and used; they were unavailable for less than a month. I have one in my hand right now. Also, I believe the specific numbers for the Connected to Renown conversions so far was 322 Connected to 50 Renown, though it varies by ease of gaining Connected. For example Society will presumably have a higher threshold, given it can be acquired at 33 CP per action. Urchins was stated after the conversion of Rubbery Men to be the next to happen.
edited by Optimatum on 7/29/2016

You’re so precise! Thank you! It still sounds like it’s a bit unfeasible for me, as I don’t have a great many fate-locked items…do you really think they will add better items at some point? Likewise, I’ve played Flint once, and can’t play it again at the moment due to funds.

I would be interested to hear what your preferred items are that are a little unusual to come by, and what the best way right now to acquire Urchin connections is, as the two posts I searched up are over three years old.

So, shoot for 330 to be safe? Maybe 660 for Society, if it’s special and easy to get? Thank you again for clarifying and giving more definition and motivation to my goals. I really, really don’t want to come up against this Renown 50 issue more then I have to, as the lack of completion is going to really drive me nuts…

Based on your signature, I should message you, as I’m not quite sure what it’s about but it looks very interesting.

Its generallly been around 170 for 50 renown. So maybe 200 something should be enough, with plenty left over.
And with the faction items, there probably will be better stat boosters.

I’m fairly sure the threshold’s always been above 200 renown. The original conversion of Criminals might have been the one to use ~320 -> 50, but I seem to recall more recent ones being not that different. Were any formulae figured out at the time of each conversion?

[quote=Brin]You’re so precise! Thank you! It still sounds like it’s a bit unfeasible for me, as I don’t have a great many fate-locked items…do you really think they will add better items at some point? Likewise, I’ve played Flint once, and can’t play it again at the moment due to funds.

I would be interested to hear what your preferred items are that are a little unusual to come by, and what the best way right now to acquire Urchin connections is, as the two posts I searched up are over three years old.

So, shoot for 330 to be safe? Maybe 660 for Society, if it’s special and easy to get? Thank you again for clarifying and giving more definition and motivation to my goals. I really, really don’t want to come up against this Renown 50 issue more then I have to, as the lack of completion is going to really drive me nuts…

Based on your signature, I should message you, as I’m not quite sure what it’s about but it looks very interesting.[/quote]
They will likely add better items over time, or items on par with existing ones. Many will cost Fate though, for example the new boots from the election. If faction items like those introduced in the Rubbery Men conversion continue to be a thing, there will definitely be other items on par though, like the Rubbery Bellringer being the best Persuasive companion without Fate or profession.

The best (from an action standpoint) repeatable way to gain C: Urchins is conflict cards. There are two: The Devil and the Child and A familiar face by the school railings. (The Urchins/Docks conflict card was changed when Docks was converted to Favours and Renown, so it now gives higher profits but doesn’t allow increasing Connections.) As with most conflict cards, both of these let you side with one faction over another, gaining 30 CP towards the faction you favored and losing 15 CP from the other faction. Both of these cards appear with Urchins and Hell/Widow connections over 5. If you’re willing to go slower, you can favor the urchins twice and the other faction once to keep it the same, or you can replenish the other faction’s connected through other options. The best repeatable action outside cards is Speak softly to the little villains from Fun with the Fisher-Kings in the Flit. This gives 3 CP of Connected: Urchins per action.

I would suggest not worrying about putting more effort into easy-to-raise factions like Society until you’ve raised the more difficult factions. Failbetter will likely tell us which faction is next whenever Urchins end up being converted, if they plan on converting one soon.

My signature indicates people can message me for information on Fate-locked content/items and Ambition: Enigma, for both of which Failbetter would like public discussion to remain minimal. (Much more so the latter than the former.) Speaking of which, you can see lists of items for each stat on the wiki: Dangerous, Persuasive, Shadowy, Watchful. If you’d like any information about specific ones feel free to message me.

Oops, went back and checked. 271. Not 170. 170 was what I had for rubbery when it was converted. :P
And the formula has been (connected-21)/5 or 6.

Oh, forgot to mention. Conflict cards give Someone is Coming as a side effect. At Someone is Coming 3 you can rob a rat in Spite, under rob a drunk, so every six conflict cards. This gives a reward scaling with your Shadowy and has a very small chance of giving a Ratwork Watch, the best non-profession Watchful weapon!
edited by Optimatum on 7/30/2016

[quote=suinicide]Oops, went back and checked. 271. Not 170. 170 was what I had for rubbery when it was converted. :P
And the formula has been (connected-21)/5 or 6.[/quote]
Just a silly nit-pick, but there have been slight divergences from the formula observed each time. this number is the most accurate estimate we have, but a few people diverged by (+ or - symbol)1 lv. renown.

Not anymore unfortunately.

Add Arson and avarice from An implausible penance. Not Echo worth, but it’ll take you 5 AP to get 15 CP from The Flit; you can use those 4 extra AP to make up for the small reward. Only worth it if you wish to grind Urchin connections.

Not anymore unfortunately.

Add Arson and avarice from An implausible penance. Not Echo worth, but it’ll take you 5 AP to get 15 CP from The Flit; you can use those 4 extra AP to make up for the small reward. Only worth it if you wish to grind Urchin connections.[/quote]
If you think that’s worth it, buy a small stockpile of lucky weasels, and bribe them with those as well- 10 cp per bribe. However, personally, i’ll wait and see what favors grinds become available, and only grind through hell and widow. After all, it’s been 5/6 levels connected per level renown, or 83.3/100 actions per lv. renown. Sure, once you go far enough in that’s probably going to be superior to the new options, but that’s a while off, and i’m not up for dedicating 5000 actions to gaining a single faction’s renown.

Oh, weasels as well!
Been doing all of these (weasels, conflict card and Arson) and, from the tiny level I had, I’m up to 180 Connections. Probably because they are one of my favourite factions! :D

This means there IS a strict limit on how often you can repair your quirks with the new system?