Dreaded / Bizarre

Today I found out (the hard, expensive way) that you can get only the Left-Hand half of the screaming map from the Disgruntled Naval Officer. The other half can only be taken from one of the other two people.

That problem is, that while I DO have some Respectable, I don’t have almost any of the other special qualities. Are there any places I can get bonuses to my Dreaded / Bizarre qualities without being a person of some importance? (I already have a Subtle Mole so I prefer bonuses to Dreaded. But both of them would be great)

I think Dreadful and Bizzare at +2 is as good as you’re going to get before your stats reach 100.
I would suggest you hold off on going to Polythreme until you’ve achieved PoSI. There are some pretty hefty checks once there and on the way.
Besides, you’ve still got lots of cool stories to finish in London before you worry about what’s over the sea.

Indeed +2 is the best you can get: The ratskin suit for +1 dreaded, and the bejewelled cane for +1 bizarre, plus a pet for either one of those.

Most opportunities for dreaded and bizarre come from post-PoSI items (Any time I list unrelated items, it’s because you can only have one of that category of item, so going for the dreaded/bizarre one means not picking the other options). Having a gang of hoodlums gives +2 dreaded, a clay sedan chair gives +2 bizarre (and a couple fate-locked transportations give +2 dreaded), a zubmarine gives +1 bizarre (Yacht gives +1 respectable, clipper gives nothing). Boneless consort gives +3 bizarre, the other companions don’t offer dreaded, bizarre, or respectable, but do offer main stats (Plus they don’t require a whopping 120 fate investment before the opportunity can be unlocked). Finally, joining the Young Stags offers +2 to both dreaded and bizarre (The parthaneum offers +4 respectable)

Its +3 then, since I believe there are dreaded pets.

Grubby Kitten (Urchins), Disappointing Marsh-Wolf (Criminals), Maverick Bloodhound (Constables), Subtle Mole (Great Game). Bizarre pets are the Hungover Terrier (Bohemians), Preening Macaw (Hell), and Bandaged Raven (Tomb-Colonies). Total: +1 from either the Ratskin Suit or the Bejewelled cane, and +1 from the Pet.

The pets are included in that +2

Pets wise: the Bifurcated owl is +1 Dreaded, +1 Bizarre, (so’s the Unfinished Hat, although that’s a Polythreme thing). Easily gettable before PoI is the Bengal Tigress, which is +1 Dreaded.

I managed it by getting the clothes colony prior to PoI.

Get a total of +3 Bizarre that way.

can’t remember which suit it requires for conversion, but it didn’t cost too much.

just make sure you convert to surface silk and buy everything you need prior to leaving.

edited by Endy on 5/10/2012

[quote=Endy]I managed it by getting the clothes colony prior to PoI.

Get +3 Bizarre that way.

can’t remember which suit it requires for conversion, but it didn’t cost too much.

just make sure you convert to surface silk and buy everything you need prior to leaving.
[i]

[/i]
edited by Endy on 5/10/2012[/quote]

The Battered Gray Longcoat (I’m going to get one myself as soon as I’ll have finished my Ambition new storylets - it could tak a while T.T)

The Bifurcated Owl and Unfinished Hat both require a ship.

The Bifurcated Owl and Unfinished Hat both require a ship.[/quote]

Actually now you can get to Polythreme via passenger steamer, so theoretically you could get both a Moderately Co-operative Clothes Colony (+1 Bizarre) and an Unfinished Hat (+1 to both Dreaded and Bizarre) before being a PoSI. Problem is, getting there without good stats in at least either Dangerous or Persuasive AND Watchful or Shadowy would mean having to rely entirely on a luck-based mechanism to make progress. Possible, but not necessarily advisable :s

I think for the hat you do need a ship, as the Unfinished Man wants to stow away on it.

it does make me wonder though. I took my ship there, then the passenger steamer back… so, yeah… how did my ship get back?

[quote=Endy]I think for the hat you do need a ship, as the Unfinished Man wants to stow away on it.

it does make me wonder though. I took my ship there, then the passenger steamer back… so, yeah… how did my ship get back?[/quote]

I suspect if you left it in Polythreme unattended long enough, it followed you back on its own. Hopefully more like a loyal hound than a vengeful malfeasant.

The Tiger & the de-frocked priest who are pledged to work you ship for a year probably sailed it back for you. They seem like a trustworthy sort.

The Bifurcated Owl and Unfinished Hat both require a ship.[/quote]

Actually now you can get to Polythreme via passenger steamer, so theoretically you could get both a Moderately Co-operative Clothes Colony (+1 Bizarre) and an Unfinished Hat (+1 to both Dreaded and Bizarre) before being a PoSI. Problem is, getting there without good stats in at least either Dangerous or Persuasive AND Watchful or Shadowy would mean having to rely entirely on a luck-based mechanism to make progress. Possible, but not necessarily advisable :s[/quote]
One of the problems is attaining the map, though.
Your best bet is the +2 dreaded/bizarre option as already stated.
Edit: At least I think you need the map to become a passenger?
edited by Aximillio on 5/11/2012

no, you can become a passenger without the map.

I actually found it to be easier than sailing there if just a bit dull.

The Anarchist’s Sable from completing the Affluent Photographer now provides +1 Dreaded is far easier than the Ratskin Suit to obtain. You can also obtain a mode of transport, by luck and Fate, if you work your Dangerous up high enough to participate in the 4th circle of the Labyrinth, I don’t believe it requires PoSI and it does provide +2 Dreaded.

~MF

It costed me a lot, but I bought the Ratskin Suit. Then I sought the Masked Clay man and found him. Now all I have to do is to wait 2 more days to get my full map…

Thank you, good citizens of Fallen London!

[quote=Endy]I think for the hat you do need a ship, as the Unfinished Man wants to stow away on it.

it does make me wonder though. I took my ship there, then the passenger steamer back… so, yeah… how did my ship get back?[/quote]

Well, your crew probably sailed it back home! Who needs a captain anyway? :)