Does anyone else find the forum unreadable?

I find it almost impossible to read the text in the Failbetter forum since the colors switched to light on dark. Possibly this is due to my advanced age, as there is a well-known halo effect (no relation to Halo the game) that occurs with older eyes viewing bright against dark: a pinpoint of light becomes like a headlight in the rain. Are others experiencing this?

I find it fine but i am in my late twenties. I just signed up but sometimes forums give you the option to change colour scheme - which would be great for you… but if they don’t then i’ll shut up lol.

I sympathize with you, Genny. For me the new style is an aesthetic disaster AND barely readable on top of that. But most people seem to like it…

Nevermind, w/e
edited by M_L_G on 10/25/2012

[color=#009900]‘They’ are right here, thanks.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]We’ll look at a forum style switcher, but dev time over here is always squeezed. M_L_G’s sneery eye-rolling about ‘corporate pages’ notwithstanding, our blog, company site and forum all looked completely different, we needed a tidy-up to look like a credible company, and when we did some basic testing, pale grey on dark grey got the best response. So [/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]I locked the last thread because the drip, drip, of people going ‘yeah +1’ was noise in the recent posts stream. And, honestly, because guests, however welcome, coming to your living room and saying ‘yeah, I think your curtains look like crap too’ gets aggravating eventually. :)[/color]

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]‘They’ are right here, thanks.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]We’ll look at a forum style switcher, but dev time over here is always squeezed. M_L_G’s sneery eye-rolling about ‘corporate pages’ notwithstanding, our blog, company site and forum all looked completely different, we needed a tidy-up to look like a credible company, and when we did some basic testing, pale grey on dark grey got the best response. So [/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]I locked the last thread because the drip, drip, of people going ‘yeah +1’ was noise in the recent posts stream. And, honestly, because guests, however welcome, coming to your living room and saying ‘yeah, I think your curtains look like crap too’ gets aggravating eventually. :)[/color][/quote]

I understand the desire for a “tidy-up” and a “corporate” style. I wish that the choice had been for a style consistent with the old forum style, instead of this one. However, you know my opinion, and to the extent I’m in the minority you have every reason to stand by your decision.

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]‘They’ are right here, thanks.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]I locked the last thread because the drip, drip, of people going ‘yeah +1’ was noise in the recent posts stream. And, honestly, because guests, however welcome, coming to your living room and saying ‘yeah, I think your curtains look like crap too’ gets aggravating eventually. :)[/color][/quote]

Ah, I missed the earlier thread - did not mean to bring up a sore topic. I posted in hopes people might point me to a color control I’d somehow missed.

I am delighted to hear you are even considering a theme switcher, given all else you are working on.

Meanwhile, I find that zooming the text, using browser controls, helps a lot.

When I was in my twenties and thirties I always set things to the highest resolution and the smallest text, to get more on the screen. Why, why, why can’t that still work now?!

Until FBG have the time to complete a switcher, would anyone be able to work out some sort of user script or plugin for those who have trouble with the new design?

I did a quick search in the Chrome Extensions store and found this plugin:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/change-colors/jbmkekhehjedonbhoikhhkmlapalklgn

Using this, you’d be able to set the background/foreground colours to whatever you like and then make it override it for this entire domain. This might work as a good fix for people who are struggling with the contrast. I’m sure there are similar plugins for Firefox and other browsers, so it might be worth having a hunt around in you don’t use Chrome for browsing this forum.

Hope this is helpful!