Do Rat Barges...

…propagate more and more as you kill them? I was smoking a bunch of them earlier for fun, noticed more appearing every time one died, and now I have about 16 of them swarming around Nuncio…[li]

Hmm that definitely sounds like a bug (although maybe you’ve somehow inherited all of mine - I’ve not seen a rat barge in 2 captains). They should have the same spawn rate regardless of whether you kill them as far as I know.

There’s a bug some place that can cause this with any creature. I have not yet locked down the trigger circumstances, but it happened to me with the Eater-of-Names; quite intense until the game crashed! I have also experienced it with lifebergs.

Thank goodness it’s just Rat Barges, I guess…

I only had this bug once. I had a swarm of Jillyfish by Port Carnelian … in the fog … and they were popping up right next to me.
edited by reveurciel on 3/3/2015

I get this bug when I play for long sessions. Exit to menu and reenter the game and it should be cleared up.

My guess would be a new one can spawn once the one you’re fighting is pulled far enough away from its spawn point. And then another if the 2nd also gets pulled away, etc.
edited by backelie on 6/26/2015