Do "learn some tricks" cards crop up too much?

Not to derail the topic, but the top five have been the same since I started playing, and that was back when Extra Credits did that one episode on EBZ.

[quote=KatarinaNavane]Voted, though I only had one vote left at the moment.

Come to think of it, though, the feedback forum itself seems kinda broken, don’t you think? The top voted suggestions have been the same the entire time I’ve been playing, which is more than a year. Things get marked &quotplanned&quot and then never happen, with no further updates, and I feel like 90% of the suggestions don’t even get read.[/quote]
Alexis Kennedy stated somewhere (I don’t remember where, maybe a blog post) that they read ALL suggestions but most of them would take too much time to implement (especially things like &quotI’d like to see a storylet about XYZ&quot). Which is why it’s a good idea to keep suggestions simple. Your idea of merging all Connection cards into one wouldn’t need a whole lot of new content writing, so it would be relatively easy to do.
Also, there’s always the possibility of there being a very good reason for things that are annoying us right now – maybe the devs have grand plans for the Connection cards which we cannot foresee…!? I think it’s great that there’s a feedback forum at all. It’s not true that nothing ever happens there. Here are just a few examples of implemented suggestions: [1], [2], [3], [4], [5].

And I actually don’t think that the number of votes a suggestion gets is the most important thing. There have been implemented suggestions with only 1 vote. Majorities aren’t always right… :)
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

Voted. I’d love to see this implemented.

The opportunity deck does feel distinctly snail-like these days. I’m happy with four slots in my hand, but if there was a new Lodging that gave you more cards in your deck, I would be off and grinding like a Clay Man’s handshake. Or maybe not a Lodging, but an item - an alarm clock that lets you get up earlier and seize more opportunities?

Regardless of the gameplay effects, if any, I would love to have a Ratwork Pocket Alarm Watch. I’m fairly sympathetic to Rattly Concerns, I’m sure if I asked nicely and paid through then nose they would be happy to produce one for me.

That would be great. I’ve noticed that some of the faction cards (Docks and Urchins for sure) do have options to pay a fairly small amount of some resource (rostygold and a lucky weasel, in those cases) in order to increase your Connected quality with that faction, but most of them don’t have it. Instead, they just have the “learn some tricks” option, which seems to be kind of…unbalanced. Most of the time it’s not too bad even if it’s not necessarily worth it–you get a stat increase for a drop in Connected that’s pretty much always a level or less–but the last time I tried this with the Society card, if I’m remembering right, I lost 10 full levels of Connected. Not CP–levels. I don’t think I got a proportionate raise in Persuasive for it, either. (For what it’s worth, my Society connection was pretty high at the time–50 or 60, I think–but I haven’t noticed anything similar with other factions (my Constables connection is not as high but still decent–40-something, I think–and learning some tricks from the Implacable Detective only dropped my Connected by several CP). I can’t remember what the trade-off is like with Criminals, either, but I think that one must have been pretty bad too, because Criminals used to be one of my highest Connections and now it’s one of my lowest.

Has anyone else noticed this–or, for that matter, noticed it being the case with other factions? I’m paranoid about using any of the “learn some triicks” options now because I don’t want to gamble with my Connected qualities.

That would be great. I’ve noticed that some of the faction cards (Docks and Urchins for sure) do have options to pay a fairly small amount of some resource (rostygold and a lucky weasel, in those cases) in order to increase your Connected quality with that faction, but most of them don’t have it. Instead, they just have the “learn some tricks” option, which seems to be kind of…unbalanced. Most of the time it’s not too bad even if it’s not necessarily worth it–you get a stat increase for a drop in Connected that’s pretty much always a level or less–but the last time I tried this with the Society card, if I’m remembering right, I lost 10 full levels of Connected. Not CP–levels. I don’t think I got a proportionate raise in Persuasive for it, either. (For what it’s worth, my Society connection was pretty high at the time–50 or 60, I think–but I haven’t noticed anything similar with other factions (my Constables connection is not as high but still decent–40-something, I think–and learning some tricks from the Implacable Detective only dropped my Connected by several CP). I can’t remember what the trade-off is like with Criminals, either, but I think that one must have been pretty bad too, because Criminals used to be one of my highest Connections and now it’s one of my lowest.

Has anyone else noticed this–or, for that matter, noticed it being the case with other factions? I’m paranoid about using any of the “learn some triicks” options now because I don’t want to gamble with my Connected qualities.[/quote]

The cards never drop more than hat’s required, or at least, not a lot more. Things requiring Connected:3 are thus pretty safe.

Different connections have different “weights” to them, which impact how difficult they are to raise for the most part and how much they’re worth when trading. Several things ignore this: The carnival and connection raising items ignore this (for the most part), and trading in connections for loot seems to always consider a cost of 2 pence per CP.

Now, with that out of the way, you may notice some connections are noticeably easier than others. Society is by far one of the easiest to raise, anyone raising their persuasive is going to have bucketloads eventually. Bohemian is also easy enough. I can count the number of ways to raise Revolutionaries and Benthic as a capped player on a single hand. As far as the connection cards go, you’re not gonna spend 500 CP of criminals to raise your shadowy, it’ll probably be more like 20.

IMO, the cards ARE worth it if you’re focusing on raising stats. You can do actions to get the connections which also happen to raise the stat in question, then spend the connections on even more stats. And really, outside of the connection cards themselves it is rare to come across anything that asks for more than ~20 in a connection, and you can always use the carnival and connection items (FYI, they’re infinite use, although there is a cost involved) to get back up to 20 at any time.

I think the society and church cards cost a whole bunch more than any other “learn some tricks” card, taking a few levels while most others take a handful of CP

True, because both of these are easy to raise. Church a little less so than Society.

The carnival caps at 10 for raising connections now. :/

ETA: Some of the connections items also cap below 20 now too–my Old Bone Skeleton Key will only raise Connected: Criminals up to 15 unless I want to use Fate.
edited by protonsinthedark on 2/21/2013

The carnival caps at 10 for raising connections now. :/

ETA: Some of the connections items also cap below 20 now too–my Old Bone Skeleton Key will only raise Connected: Criminals up to 15 unless I want to use Fate.
edited by protonsinthedark on 2/21/2013[/quote]

There’s a reason I said “AND” and not “OR”. Use the carnival to hit 10, then items to hit 20. You’re right on Criminals though, although it CAN hit 20 if you’re just below the cap when you use it. But yeah, I really hope they don’t roll that out for all connections because that’s an annoying way to ensure it doesn’t go past 20… what’s the harm in letting folks hit 22 or 23?

Speaking of coming up annoyingly often, is anyone else completely sick of seeing ‘The Acacia and the Butterfly’? (And other faction vs. faction cards, for that matter) Each one seems to pop up in my deck at least 3-5 times a day, and there are about 10 different ones (though some are rarer than others). By comparison, the regular faction cards are blissfully uncommon! (except Bohemians.)

I like the Conflict Cards. Since each option adds 30 points to one side, and deducts 15 from the other, it gives me a net increase. It’s not a lot, but it’s convenient, and it feels like one of those things my character would dabble in, in his free time.

Since they added Affair of the Box to the conflict cards, I’ve loved them. It gives me a nice feel of dabbling in all sorts of various politics while letting me grind my wines a bit while I’m doing something else.

I like the conflict cards too. They give me the ability to slowly ratchet up the relevant Connecteds, which works for me as my current goal is to get all of my Connecteds above 100.