Do "learn some tricks" cards crop up too much?

You know, the cards that let you trade in some connections for stats? I dunno about other people, but I’m constantly seeing them when I have nowhere near enough connections to make good on it. Does anyone else think that they should come up with less frequency, or perhaps when you have close to enough connected to make use of it?

They do indeed crop up quite frequently, and they’re especially annoying when one is stat-capped. To be honest I think they should be automatically removed if one is.

A bigger problem is that they are not worth the Connected cost. At all. Even the top-tier options only give about 7 change points for…I think it’s 23 CP of Connected? Yeah, not worth it.

I can not recall a day that I did not draw at least five of these, so taken as a group they probably have the highest frequency of any other group of cards (certainly they are more common than say… The Lapidary).

I would definitely appreciate a way to remove these cards from my deck, and being capped in the appropriate stat seems to be a very reasonable qualifier for that to occure.

I agree that it would be very nice if they ceased to appear when one is stat capped.

That would make my neathy day if I could avoid seeing those cards.

Agreed. I make great sport out of discarding them, only to flail when I realize that it was something else.

Mine too. I hardly ever used them before I was capped, and I’m definitely tired of seeing them now.

At least one of the tricks provides you access to a certain business card for a certain set of investigations, done a bit off the books as it were. Hopefully we’ll start to see more of those types of opportunities.

Oh, they can also increase your Counting the Days, depending on the faction you chose.

~MF

[quote=Maurna Frost]At least one of the tricks provides you access to a certain business card for a certain set of investigations, done a bit off the books as it were. Hopefully we’ll start to see more of those types of opportunities.

Oh, they can also increase your Counting the Days, depending on the faction you chose.

~MF[/quote]

Which is the one issue I’d have with hiding them at cap. (That and the system as is doesn’t have a way to check if you’re at cap, since Quality requirements are based on your adjusted qualities.) Maybe when you cap an individual quality, the training cards for that quality are replaced with a single card that provides the CtD options for all the related factions?

maybe all of them in general could just be replaced with a single “learn from your connections” card with a lot of options?

Quoting for emphasis. This would be a GREAT idea!

One suggestion I made a while back would have helped alleviate it somewhat: Tying more opportunity cards to locations, so that you wouldn’t, for example, be getting options to learn dangerous skills from folks at the dock while you’re running about in the flit.

I know I said before it’d make my neathy day to see them stop, but that’s a fabulous idea! I would eat my hat (or it’d eat me) if this happened. That’s just a stand up idea. That way you can still get rewards of value for those of us in the 130s (like a certain someones business card) and! I wouldn’t be bumbarded by half a dozen cards I’ll never use!

See, I find it problematic that I just got a connections card for Hell, and I have zero Connected: Hell. It’s useless to me, and it’s just taking up space in my deck and pushing out other cards I actually want or can use. I also get numerous connections cards that I simply don’t have enough Connected in the faction to use at my level, rending them literal filler, they serve no purpose when I don’t have the connections necessary to take ANY of the options on the card (as well as also being at the level cap, because honestly, I only ever use the Constables card to get the Detective’s Business Card, and never even click on the other connected cards). They aren’t worthwhile if I can’t use them at all, and they just serve to detract from the fun of playing, especially now that the timer resets every time a card is drawn.

edit: Also, why do cards for pets come up for pets I don’t even have? That seems even sillier than the connected cards.
edited by Anna Carbonyl on 4/24/2012

If there are going to be more location specific opportunity cards, then we definitely need some indication somewhere that there is even such a thing as location specific opportunity cards, because right now there is nothing like that.

edit: as far as I know the only pet card that comes up when you don’t have the pet in question is the overgoat card, and there’s an option on that card you can use even if you don’t have an overgoat.
edited by KatarinaNavane on 4/24/2012

Yes, definitely; the only way I knew about the location-specific pets, for instance, was through this forum, since they’re rare and I don’t camp out in those areas usually now that I’m level-capped.
(Have a Salt Weasel, waiting on the other three.)

[quote=KatarinaNavane]If there are going to be more location specific opportunity cards, then we definitely need some indication somewhere that there is even such a thing as location specific opportunity cards, because right now there is nothing like that.

edit: as far as I know the only pet card that comes up when you don’t have the pet in question is the overgoat card, and there’s an option on that card you can use even if you don’t have an overgoat.
edited by KatarinaNavane on 4/24/2012[/quote]

I keep getting cards for Sorrow Spiders and Reprehensible Lizards, neither of which I have. I’ve been getting at least one of those cards every few hours, on both of my characters.

I keep getting both of these as well, though I at least have a Reprehensible Lizard.

I think part of the reason they show up is that it’s effectively Fallen London Advertising. While the pet might not raise or lower any of your attributes, they are showing that, yes the pet does have some value and will allow you to do things you otherwise would not be able to.

And with that point in mind, I should now point out that there is a reason I run Ad-blocking software.

A different possible change for the ‘learn some tricks’ cards is that they could simply add an option to ‘teach some tricks’ instead, allowing you to gain some connected with the relevant faction. How elaborate this should be, a simple one change point for one action/card, or other options that cost more actions but give more change points, is they duty of Failbetter Games design team to work out. This would give these cards value, but would not be overpowering I would think.

When I first logged in today, I went through my initial deck and decreed all six of my cards to be ‘useless’. Four of them were ‘learn some tricks’.

Immediately after seeing your post, I made that suggestion in the Feedback Forum (see and vote here). Great idea, and it shouldn’t be too hard to implement.

On a more general note: if there’s one thing about Fallen London that I really think needs changing, it’s the whole opportunity-card-thing. There are way too many useless cards for players on every level, and with all the new cards (and all the ones still to come) the deck size is ridiculously small - even more so since it now takes 10 minutes to get a new card. Please do correct me if I’m wrong but I think most of the community would greatly appreciate some changes on that front (as indicated by the many suggestions already made, like this, this, this one, or that, that one, and that, or this one here).

Voted, though I only had one vote left at the moment.

Come to think of it, though, the feedback forum itself seems kinda broken, don’t you think? The top voted suggestions have been the same the entire time I’ve been playing, which is more than a year. Things get marked “planned” and then never happen, with no further updates, and I feel like 90% of the suggestions don’t even get read.