Discovering your destiny

How does one acquire a destiny?

I assume you can only have one destiny? Is this a permanent choice or can a destiny be changed?

Do destinities have any mechanical effects beyond their stat adjustments, like new cards/storylets?

You acquire them during certain events during the year, such as Hollowmass or the Fruits of the Zee Festival.

Yes, you can only have one. You CAN change it for Fate. (Edit: 25 Fate to change it)

No mechanical effects beyond the stat increase at this time.
edited by Israfel on 6/12/2016

The next opportunity to acquire a Destiny will be at the The Fruits of the Zee Festival in August. The next opportunity will be Hallowmas in October (I think?)? Then Sacksmas in December. You get your destinies in the latter half of the year it seems, when the borders of the world get thin (or thinner).

There are no special cards, just a state increase, a cool picture for your mantle, and some very interesting lore. There might be story consequences later though.

There’s also a special Mr Eaten destiny for those who are into that sort of thing. It has been unavailable for a bit, but with Seeking back…
edited by Anne Auclair on 6/12/2016

[quote=Anne Auclair]

There’s also a special Mr Eaten destiny for those who are into that sort of thing. It has been unavailable for a bit, but with Seeking back…
edited by Anne Auclair on 6/12/2016[/quote]
Note: It’s a terrible destiny that will permanently cripple you. Note: This should not be surprising to you.

Note that one of the Destinies (Passion) requires a Fate Locked Story before it can be acquired, and the “usual” Fate locked destinies available as choices are worth +5/+3 in two stats rather than just +5.

For a list featuring all the destinies and their respective stats, see
[spoilers]http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com/post/96108752205/destinies[/spoilers]

[quote=Parelle]Note that one of the Destinies (Passion) requires a Fate Locked Story before it can be acquired, and the &quotusual&quot Fate locked destinies available as choices are worth +5/+3 in two stats rather than just +5.

For a list featuring all the destinies and their respective stats, see
[spoilers]http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com/post/96108752205/destinies[/spoilers][/quote]
A slight correction: The Instrument likewise requires a specific ending of a specific Fate-locked storyline. The counterpart option of that branch requires a different ending to said storyline, but does not give a unique destiny.

Delicious friends,

when I joined FL during Christmas 2014, I randomly selected a Destiny after just a few days of playing - only to realize later that it didn’t fit my character at all. Since changing Destinies costs Fate, I’ve put together a Destiny Guide to help other players with their decision!

The Guide contains no content spoilers as such, but hints as to the nature of the various Destinies on offer (magnanimous, ruthless, foolish…) and how to unlock the more secret ones.
edited by phryne on 8/15/2016