Dilmun Club Expedition

So I just finished speaking to His Amused Lordship and then making a bunch of preparatory notes. What on Earth do I do next? There are apparently three islands I’m supposed to go to, but I don’t see any new storylets anywhere related to this. Hopefully, I don’t need my own ship for this, because I doubt I can finish my zubmarine as things are now…

You do need your own ship. What’s more, one of the islands is in the Sea of Voices, so you’re going to need the Screaming Map if you haven’t already acquired it.

You quite definitely need your own ship for this. I would advise against pursuing a zubmarine as your first vessel - get a tramp steamer first, accumulate the resources you need, and then sell it for a zubmarine later, is my recommendation.

Yep. Ship required. I also went for making the zubmarine my first ship. Just finished it about a week ago. I did it because I was stubborn, but I wouldn’t recommend it unless you have a high threshold for excruciatingly painful grinding.

I’ve done a fair amount of grinding on it already, which is sort of how I ended up here. I reached an impasse on designing my zubmarine, as I need Scholar of the Correspondence 3 (no idea how to get a Copy of Your Tale of the Future), but I’ve been kicked out of the university, which seemed like it might be the only way to raise that. And the only avenue I’ve seen for continuing my university career is this Dilmun Club expedition.

I wouldn’t mind switching ships, as people advise, but I’m worried it’s going to waste all of the grinding I’ve done already on the zubmarine, if I change my mind. Any advice?

You can increase Scholar of the Correspondence by going Beneath the Neath at the Carnival, and by Seeking Curios in the Forgotten Quarter (this one can take a few tries, as it depends on getting the right airs).

You can write a tale of the future when you are still carving out a reputation at court. If you haven’t been banished from court, when asked &quotWhat’s your next work?&quot, choose &quotComplete a novel&quot, and then, when your Inspired… quality reaches 34, choose &quotA Tale of the Future!&quot.

I chose the Zub as my first ship as well but I ended up cheating (i.e., Fate) so that is always an option.

[quote=Jabberwok]

I’ve done a fair amount of grinding on it already, which is sort of how I ended up here. I reached an impasse on designing my zubmarine, as I need Scholar of the Correspondence 3 (no idea how to get a Copy of Your Tale of the Future), but I’ve been kicked out of the university, which seemed like it might be the only way to raise that. And the only avenue I’ve seen for continuing my university career is this Dilmun Club expedition.

I wouldn’t mind switching ships, as people advise, but I’m worried it’s going to waste all of the grinding I’ve done already on the zubmarine, if I change my mind. Any advice?[/quote]

Copy of Your Tale of the Future is from writing a novel (specifically a tale of the future) in the Empress’ Court.

For that level of Scholar of the Correspondence, you still have quite a few options left. There’s one of the Airs dependent options in seeking curios in the forgotten quarter, but if you’re below level 3, I think you can still do the ‘Beneath the Neath’ storylet in the carnival. If you have access to the Empress’ Court, you can also write symphonies.

The really annoying part about SoTC is that almost all the options for it have really low caps or are in areas that you can easily progress out of like the Empress’ Court and the University. Having long been locked out of both, I’ve had NO way to increase it until I somewhat recently got a certain fate locked feline. It’s one of the reasons I’m itching to do those scientific expeditions myself so I can eventually restore my University status.

Edit: Also, if you’re at the &quotDesigning Your Zubmarine stage&quot then I don’t think you’ve actually done any grinding for it yet. What you’ve done so far has just been the general work to get ANY ship. You can absolutely back out and pick another ship with no loss at this point. It should put you right back at the ship selection page.
edited by Scienceandponies on 10/31/2015

[quote=Scienceandponies][quote=Jabberwok]

I wouldn’t mind switching ships, as people advise, but I’m worried it’s going to waste all of the grinding I’ve done already on the zubmarine, if I change my mind. Any advice?[/quote]

Copy of Your Tale of the Future is from writing a novel (specifically a tale of the future) in the Empress’ Court.

For that level of Scholar of the Correspondence, you still have quite a few options left. There’s one of the Airs dependent options in seeking curios in the forgotten quarter, but if you’re below level 3, I think you can still do the ‘Beneath the Neath’ storylet in the carnival. If you have access to the Empress’ Court, you can also write symphonies.

The really annoying part about SoTC is that almost all the options for it have really low caps or are in areas that you can easily progress out of like the Empress’ Court and the University. Having long been locked out of both, I’ve had NO way to increase it until I somewhat recently got a certain fate locked feline. It’s one of the reasons I’m itching to do those scientific expeditions myself so I can eventually restore my University status.

Edit: Also, if you’re at the &quotDesigning Your Zubmarine stage&quot then I don’t think you’ve actually done any grinding for it yet. What you’ve done so far has just been the general work to get ANY ship. You can absolutely back out and pick another ship with no loss at this point. It should put you right back at the ship selection page.
edited by Scienceandponies on 10/31/2015[/quote]

Okay, good to know. Sounds like I can get through the current stage, then. I guess I’ll see what the next one looks like before deciding whether to back out and go for something easier. At some point, I plan to spend some money to get access to unique stories, but the thought of skipping a step with Fate feels vaguely unsatisfying.

[quote=Jabberwok]

Okay, good to know. Sounds like I can get through the current stage, then. I guess I’ll see what the next one looks like before deciding whether to back out and go for something easier. At some point, I plan to spend some money to get access to unique stories, but the thought of skipping a step with Fate feels vaguely unsatisfying.[/quote]

I’ll say this, I hope you haven’t been selling any magnificent diamonds you come across. The other materials are all very grindy, but those are grinding AND luck. Either you spend an obscene amount of cryptic clues on bags of low quality diamonds and hope for rare successes, or you do a whole lot of archaeological expeditions for thieves’ caches (which itself requires a good stock of favours criminals) and hope the reward roulette is kind.

You can get them without relying on complete luck by Beating the Minister through an Implausible Penance. Might pair nicely with trading in Cryptic Clues for diamonds.

I don’t think you absoutely need to. It’s the principal source of one type of the notes, but you can get all three types of notes just from the two closer islands.

[quote=Scienceandponies][quote=Jabberwok]

Okay, good to know. Sounds like I can get through the current stage, then. I guess I’ll see what the next one looks like before deciding whether to back out and go for something easier. At some point, I plan to spend some money to get access to unique stories, but the thought of skipping a step with Fate feels vaguely unsatisfying.[/quote]

I’ll say this, I hope you haven’t been selling any magnificent diamonds you come across. The other materials are all very grindy, but those are grinding AND luck. Either you spend an obscene amount of cryptic clues on bags of low quality diamonds and hope for rare successes, or you do a whole lot of archaeological expeditions for thieves’ caches (which itself requires a good stock of favours criminals) and hope the reward roulette is kind.[/quote]

I have not, I think, but I currently only have one. And a whole bunch of the lesser varieties.

Would somebody care to clue me in how to get sent for the expedition?

I think I may have content to get me out to zea…

I don’t think you absoutely need to. It’s the principal source of one type of the notes, but you can get all three types of notes just from the two closer islands.[/quote]True, but I think with the sheer number of carousels you’d have to do on the other islands to get 500 for re-admittance into the University, you may as well get the map.

Yes, that content is still impossible.

Is that a card?

Is that a card?[/quote]

I think it just showed up as one of the storylets, regardless of location.

Is that a card?[/quote]It’s a storylet that should be available everywhere after the university storyline is complete. Alternatively, you can use the &quotFind New Stories&quot option at your Lodgings and have Tea with the Loquacious Vicar and talk about a scientific expedition.