did sunless sea sell well?

so, the launch of the game is behind us. content is being updated and bugs are being addressed. I know the game got some very, very positive reviews - I just wonder if those reviews translated into sales figures. I’ll be honest here and say I’m not all that sure why I’m asking this - but I love the game and I just want to know that it, and the people who made it, saw it succeeding on a financial level as well as on the critical one.

It’s a good game that is reasonably priced - unlike triple-A games we can probably rely on a constant, if not large, stream of purchases over the years. Also, the developers are talking about the previously planned Zubmarine DLC and working on it. That would not have happened if they did not feel comfortable with their money situation.

Well, they’d promised it, so they’d be working on it anyway, right? Just because they budgeted enough for zubmariner out of the KS funds doesn’t mean they struck rich with post-release sales.
edited by Fretling on 2/21/2015

[quote=Fretling]Well, they’d promised it, so they’d be working on it anyway, right? Just because they budgeted enough for zubmariner out of the KS funds doesn’t mean they struck rich with post-release sales.
edited by Fretling on 2/21/2015[/quote]

I never said they &quotstruck rich&quot, just remaining above water financially and keeping people employed is a sign of success in this day an age. It’s enough that they have a good game that does not cost a lot to maintain or to sell because, unlike some indie studios, Failbetter knew that physical game copies are more trouble than they are worth.

Fair enough. I’m surprised to hear that some indie studios try for physical copies! And is there a middle ground between “indie” and “triple A”?

Who issues games with AAA ratings, anyway? 'cause I doubt it was Moody’s or Standard & Poor’s (though those do sound like good descriptions of the tone of conversation in any given gaming forum… but I digress.)

Short answer is, well, I don’t know, but I hope the answer is “really well”!

There was this game a while back, Dragon Commander, that was an rts where you could jump into battle as a dragon with a jetpack. Great premise, good start, and a cruddy ending to a boring sinpleplayer campaign with some decent story elements. The reason given? They had to rush development towards the end to ensure they had time to get the physical copies into circulation. Typical…

When it comes to gaming studios, you could always take the sensible stance that &quotyour company either makes video games or it does not, enough of this ‘indie’ labeling.&quot However, I am partial of companies that have made the transition from low level development to more mainstream products (without selling their souls to greedy publishers). My favorite companies, besides Failbetter, include CD Red Projekt (Witcher series), Paradox Interactive (Crusader Kings 2), and Taleworlds (Mount and Blade).

edited by Owen Wulf on 2/21/2015

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]
Short answer is, well, I don’t know, but I hope the answer is &quotreally well&quot![/quote]

This.

[color=#009900]Thanks, folks! Basically, yes, the game’s a success, though no-one’s retiring rich. We’ll probably do a blog post with some sales figures once things have settled down yet.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Thanks for all your enthusiasm and support. It really has made a difference, and the best thing we can do in return is keep making this sort of thing. So we will. :-)[/color]

Pardon me for saying it, but I’m happy you guys are not retiring. Keep up the good work!

I am really happy to hear, well, read this.
I wish you’ll continue creating f̶a̶i̶l fair better games.

Very glad to hear it. :-) Always wishing you every success.

Arguably, success could be considered a better form of failure than actual failure :P

Good to hear that fez kitty.

That game is how I found this place. Good to hear that it’s a reasonable success. I look forward to future updates to it.

I wonder if it sold well enough to warrant Failbetter to try making the Airship Expansion. >.>

I second this question!

I second this question![/quote]

That question will likely be answered based on whether the Zubmarine DLC is profitable and not the base game.