DIAMOND IS HERE!

[color=#0066ff]Just wanted to pop by and flag that the Diamond update to Sunless Sea has just gone live on Steam (Humble will follow a few hours later). Our last update before launch! D:D[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]More info is on the blog.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]My highlight is: [/color]
[color=#0066ff]The Icarus in Black weapon will allow you to fire monster-hunters at monsters.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]Happy zailing![/color]

>Enemies should be able to spot you more easily when your lights are off.
Damn.

>Both weapons and usable items now have hotkeys (1-9)
Good.

>If you reach a storylet you have to resolve, and choose to exit to the title menu instead of resolving it, when you load the game back up, you will not be able to close the gazetteer. Instead, you will have to play an available storylet or close the game and reload it in order to continue.
That’s not to prevent savescumming or what?

>There is now a conclusion to the Salt-Lions story; in fact, six different conclusions, including an Easter-Egg Legacy effect.
Wait, wasn’t this already in place?

>ART
Goddammit, I just swung by Irem with a load of Tomb-Colonists, like twenty minutes ago. D’oh!
edited by Fretling on 1/7/2015

[quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0066ff]My highlight is: [/color]
[color=#0066ff]The Icarus in Black weapon will allow you to fire monster-hunters at monsters.[/color][/quote]
[color=#ff9900]The image of firing high-level Fallen London players at baddies makes me very happy.[/color]

Speak with the Irrepressible Cannoneer > Invite them to dine with you > You need Content QA please 1

Hey, I know what’s up for content QA now! :P

edit: So I just saw the effect of fog – does it also baffle hostile creatures and ships, or is only the player adversely affected?

[color=#009900]It’s been out in story updates for a little while - but it’s baked into this build. Only about half our players use the story update system (but probably many more than half on this board)[/color]

[quote=Fretling]
edit: So I just saw the effect of fog – does it also baffle hostile creatures and ships, or is only the player adversely affected?
edited by Fretling on 1/7/2015[/quote]

[color=#0066ff]It baffles both.[/color]

Ahhh, I see. That makes sense. Both answers :)

Is the Port Carnelian report intended for parties other than the Admiralty, or is that particular interaction simply not yet added in? Also, I see that you can speak to some of the upgraded officers now; is it intended that dining with the Nacreous Survivor doesn’t actually consume the Strange Catch?

[quote=Chris Gardiner][quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0066ff]My highlight is: [/color]
[color=#0066ff]The Icarus in Black weapon will allow you to fire monster-hunters at monsters.[/color][/quote]
[color=#ff9900]The image of firing high-level Fallen London players at baddies makes me very happy.[/color][/quote]

rip spacemarine9

Okay, hang on a moment, why is Port Carnelian in Adam’s Way/Adam’s Cape and not in the Carnelian Coast?

FROSTFOUND IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING if you would ever consider an artbook or card set I’d buy it in a snap. Also, the wax wind is terrifying. I do have a question about reversal speeds - was there any particular reason for halving it, besides to add difficulty? [li]

[/li][color=#009900]A lot of players fell into the habit of reversing to keep the enemy in their prow light, because it looked like a dominant strategy. Worse, in a lot of cases, it wasn’t the dominant strategy - it was likely to lead to them taking damage as well as having a weird-looking battle - but though we could see the cues that made people think it was, it proved very difficult to change those cues. So in the end we slowed reverse speed to discourage the strategy.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]We’ll blog more about this after launch, but we’re hunkered down for the last few weeks now.[/color]

Frostfound is awesome looking, as well as Kingeater’s Castle. Congratz on these!

Also:
&quotthus your reward. But I must now pronounce this curse upon you. Stand still, please…&quot

When giving the heart of his daughter to the Fathomking…

Excellent :P
edited by Darkas on 1/7/2015

Well, now I don’t know how to fight things, if it’s not to jam in reverse. What am I supposed to be doing here? Everything turns faster than me or just as fast as me, so trying to strafe is absolutely definitely not the way to go.

I’m just annoyed that even with 100 Veils, avoiding combat is so much more difficult now – things just follow you for ages and ages, and it feels like they have a wider detection radius.

Has anyone been down to Port Carnelian (the one in the southwest with the Sapphire Exchange shop) post-update? Is Port Carnelian still there ferreals or has it just been up and bodily removed to Adam’s Way on purpose?

Still there in my game.

For the avoiding combat thing, maybe it’s a good change, you can use &quotFull Power&quot for something now :P

Oh, and Port Stanton (Empire of Hands) is not available in the Diamond Release, even if the description says it would. You lied to me : (
edited by Darkas on 1/7/2015

Iunno, you’d have to crew up pretty heavily to have buffer against Fire!, which would require big ships with big holds. Small ships become even more useless than ever. New players are fucked over, because they can’t fight OR run.

[color=000000]I have to ask, [color=000000]what is [color=000000]the dominat[color=000000]e strategy then[color=000000]?[/color] I tried p[color=000000]icking a fight with the [color=000000]Lifebe[color=000000]rg between [color=000000]Venderbright and [color=000000]Wither[color=000000], and [color=000000]it roughed [color=000000]me [color=000000]up
[color=000000]pretty badly before I got away. How am I supp[color=000000]osed to fight something like that[color=000000]?[/color][/color][/color]
[/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

I already just stopped trying to fight larger things because my diminished gun capacity makes it take a billion years even with the nicest gun money can buy. If it takes a billion years AND my only strategy is out, I’m not sure how to even try to go about this?

[li]
Idea: perhaps 20 admiralty favor could buy the player special military grade armour plating that adds 100 hull but isn’t repairable and needs another 20 favor spent to renew.

Or something like that. I too can’t imagine surviving in the initial vessel without being able to turn my lights off and flee so easily.[/li][li]
edited by MrChapeau on 1/7/2015

[li]
Idea: perhaps 20 admiralty favor could buy the player special military grade armour plating that adds 100 hull but isn’t repairable and needs another 20 favor spent to renew.

Or something like that. I too can’t imagine surviving in the initial vessel without being able to turn my lights off and flee so easily.[/li][li]
edited by MrChapeau on 1/7/2015[/quote]
[/li][li]But that still won’t help because almost all the ships available fire only forward and to the sides a bit. We jammed in reverse because our gun fires forward and we can’t turn as fast as almost anything else without a particularly dumb sort of spinning in place and taking damage and hoping you can eventually catch up.
[/li]