Decided to horde Fabulous Diamonds, may need aid.

Hello.

So, I made a thread about Unique Goals recently, and I finally decided on one I want to do: horde Fabulous Diamonds like there’s no tomorrow. There are several reasons for this choice:

If I need some spare cash for something small, I can always sell off 1 Fabulous Diamond.
I doubt anyone else is going for them.
If I need some spare Magnificent Diamonds (or I click on it accidentally) I can break one down.
If I can get 512 I can always sell off the lot for the rarer Cider if I so chose. XD

As you can see, a few cool benefits. However, there is a SLIGHT catch. You see, as far as we know, there are only 2 ways of getting these objects:

1: A Fate Locked Option which costs 40 Nex and 20 Magnificent Diamonds. (Too rich for my blood)

2: Selling one’s soul with the POSI option on the City Vices: What Profit card.

So, as you can see, my only real option is to constantly sell my soul. But one needs to regain it to do so. And there are two ways of regaining one’s soul:

1: Pay a constant rising nex cost each time.

2: Get lucky and find it in packages.

So as you can see again unless I want to possible end up paying thousands of pounds to Failbetter, my only real option is to open a ton of packages.

Thus I ask of you politely: If you happen to get a Give A Gift Card, have a spare ten echoes, and have noone you wish to give a package to, send them my way.

NOTE: If you wish for me to trade back I will do so. Just add it in your message.

Note 2: Okay, it’s been a while but I noticed someone revived this thread. So progress notes:

In short, while I still want to do this, I ran into difficulties getting my Soul back over and over. I have few options since university was done and most are either card or sea related, and I did not get the amount of packs I was hoping for. Also i find it hard to stick to one goal. Therefore, I only ever collected 4 Diamonds. Which I then sold to get a Overgoat. So right now I have but the one.

If people are still willing to help I’m up for the goal still, but currently I only have one, and the fate cost for me to get the Soul back is now more then it would be to just buy a Diamond with fate so I either need a LOT of fate or to get a lot of packs for soul regaining and hope for the best.

Either way, when you send help, a quick note: you should also send some to Kittenpox too. i expect he’s more likely to get Diamonds then I am so support him in his goal also.
edited by Kylestien on 4/18/2016

Can you grind up University interviews until you get your soul back? It seems like it would save a lot of time and expenditure.

One’s Public is also an option.

I think I have gone past University Interviews when I completed that chain. One’s Public is still a option though i think.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but how did you go with this one Kylestien?
It’s just that I’ve also set my sights towards collecting a certain amount of Fabulous Diamonds, and if you’ve already got 50 of them (I don’t yet know of anyone who has) then I should probably turn my sights to a different objective instead. :-)
edited by Kittenpox on 4/7/2016

Since we’re here, I’ve noticed your signature elsewhere Kittenpox. I’ve meant to ask: are you drawing cards in Wolfstack Docks in order to get the Bundle of Oddities there?

Kylestien, your goal may be an odd one, but then most things in Fallen London are odd. I’ll be happy to send you packages when I remember to do so.

I had considered drawing cards elsewhere, but no.
I’m drawing cards in The Flit in order to get the Bundle of Oddities there. :-D

I feel that I should note that Kylestien’s last comment on this thread was April 2015. (I necro’d the thread to ask my question.)
edited by Kittenpox on 4/8/2016

It’s been a while since I posted here I admit so I will answer your questions.

In short, while I still want to do this, I ran into difficulties getting my Soul back over and over. I have few options since university was done and most are either card or sea related, and I did not get the amount of packs I was hoping for. Therefore, I only ever collected 4 Diamonds. Which I then sold to get a Overgoat. So right now I have but the one.

If people are still willing to help I’m up for the goal still, but currently I only have one, and the fate cost for me to get the Soul back is now more then it would be to just buy a Diamond with fate so I either need a LOT of fate or to get a lot of packs and hope for the best.

Kittenpox: I do not have 50 yet. I’m not even close to 50. So go ahead and run wild. You will probably best me at this. But I’m glad to have some competition.

Everyone else: You are more then welcome to send aid in any way possible. But make sure to put anyone else you need to give to before me.

Good to know.
I’ve just reached 20% of the way to my goal. Best of luck with yours! :-D

Good to know.
I’ve just reached 20% of the way to my goal. Best of luck with yours! :-D[/quote]

Thank you! if I may ask, how are you going about yours? Any advice would be appreciated. Also i added a bit in the first post to get people to send to you also. (:

I have two main methods, and both require Fate. So I’m putting this in spoiler tags, so anyone who’d rather not see it doesn’t have to.

[spoiler]

Option 1:
Sell soul for 1x Fabulous Diamond. Re-purchase soul for 50 Fate.
(Or wait for Bundle of Oddities to regain my soul - which I’m mainly doing by drawing cards in The Flit and then Calling in Favours with Urchins.)
If I have boxed somethings but still have my soul, I’ll wait until I’ve sold it again before opening them.

Option 2:
Obtain 20x Magnificent Diamonds, either by:

1. Grinding for Cryptic Clues in Spite, then taking them to the Bazaar Side-Streets to purchase Low-quality Diamonds (and hoping for a Rare Success.)
  2. Accumulating 7x Favours:Criminals, and then using the An Implausible Penance opportunity card to do Pugilism and Politics and beat up a minister.
    and then letting my Nightmares reach 5 (or Nightmares 4, plus Sporing Bonnet) until the Merry Gentleman comes along (via opportunity card) so I can trade in the 20x Magnificent Diamonds, along with 40 Fate, for 1x Fabulous Diamond.

I haven’t been keeping track of how often I’ve done each of these (and for my purposes that information isn’t really important), but in case anyone wanted to know: I currently have 10 Fabulous Diamonds, my Metaphysical Caprice is at 5 (soon to be 6), and I had lost my soul to the Quiet Deviless long ago but didn’t bother to reacquire it until I started on this goal.[/spoiler]

Thankyou, also, for the boxed gift Kylestein!
If it’s alright with you I’m gonna hold onto it in my Messages tab until I have one to send in return, so that I don’t forget to do so. ^_^

I think it’s worth mentioning that the Thieves cache expedition has a result which gains 2 Magnificant Diamonds (A Mask?) Perhaps that’s just how the RNG rolls, but I’ve gotten it quite a bit.

I tend not to use expeditions in general for grinding, mainly because I’ve not done the math to figure out how many actions I’ll need to use for each reward; and partly because what you’re mentioning sounds like I’d be Uncovering an Unpredictable Treasure (&quotA wooden mask?&quot) but I haven’t found much information about the ranges on actions which provide that. (I’m sure all the info is out there - I just haven’t looked for it.)

I do have an abundance of Expedition Supplies though, so perhaps I should give that one a shot. Thankyou for the tip! ^_^

Update: I gave it a shot, and did the expedition you suggested. 19 Supplies and 10 Actions later, and the wooden mask just so happened to be the very first reward that showed up, putting me 2 Magnificent Diamonds closer to the next Fabulous Diamond. Thankyou! :-D
edited by Kittenpox on 4/20/2016

You’re probably better off doing the Thieves’ Cache than the Shrine of Deep Heaven. You’ll get the A wooden mask? option 25% of the time with the Cache and 11.25% of the time with the Deep Shrine while expending fewer supplies.

The fact that you’ll more often lose one or more supplies which would otherwise be saved by A Sign? will be almost (but not quite) cancelled out by the fact that you’ll get more expedition start rare successes (3 progress rather than 1).

Note that the Shrine payout math is complicated by the existence of a rare success that bypasses the Unpredictable Treasure storylet entirely and just gives you an Eyeless skull.

If you’re interested, I’d be happy to run the math in more detail for you. As is generally the case for me, I’ve got a spreadsheet lying around somewhere that I’m sure I could dig back up…

Yes, thanks Wiwo! I didn’t have the math at hand but the Thieves option is solidly better, particularly as you’ve already got an active criminal favours pupeline. Cheaper too, as consider right now you’re getting 1 diamond for every 7 Favours off Implausible Penance and you’ll average 4 diamonds from 8 Favours (1/4 * 8 expeditions).
edited by Parelle on 4/20/2016